“Good food” 4 of 5 bubbles

G7 Sin Ma Live Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #1,367 of 10,350 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Asian, Singaporean, Malaysian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is not the 1st time I have been to this place and was shocked with the negative comments. Well, the only thing I can comment is perhaps I am local Singaporean and brought overseas guest over which is probably why I dont have waitress recommending dishes or the overcharged issue.

My recommendation is always question how much the dish is before ordering and check your bill before payment.

Food to try:-

Frog porridge - must have. It's served in claypots. White porridge in a pot and the spicy sauce cooked frogs in another. recommended way of having this dish is scoop 3/4 bowl of porridge and small amount of spicy sauce and frog meat. Mix it and into your mouth. If you cannot take spicy, fear not. You can always tell the waitress the level of spiciness you prefer, or not spicy at all if you want. However, will recommend you to try a little spicy. You can always add more porridge into your bowl if the spiciness/hotness is too much for you to take.

Tofu with minced meat is good too. Tofu is silk smooth.

Black pepper crab - check the price of the day before ordering.

Service wise, it can be better but it's alright. Rooms are available for booking at no addition charge if you have a bigger crowd.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
“Got charged $60 for a veggie dish. Liars and cheaters. Beware!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

I saved up for a year to take my parents to Singapore for a family holiday. We went to G7 at the hotel's recommendation for our first dinner in Singapore and left completely disappointed and feeling cheated.

After ordering a few mains I asked the waitress to recommend a simple vegetable dish. She told us to try this speciality which comes with brocolis and some local fish which is very popular and tasty. I should have asked her for the price but I thought a veggie dish can't be that expensive.

The dish came after 20 mins and it was some rubbery non-flavorful fish done two ways (steamed and fried) with some brocolis on the side. I felt a bit odd that a vegetable dish came with so much fish but didn't think much of it. The nasty surprise came when we got our bill. The fish was $60 SGD, more expensive than the rest of our food combined! This is a country where $2.5 SGD can get you a yummy plate of hainanese chicken rice dish with soup. $60 can basically pay for a normal family's whole week of food.

I felt utterly cheated and left in a very bad mood. Judging from the other reviews I'm not the first victim. I'm not angry with the waitress but at the boss. They are probably trained to sell this 'fish' dish to tourists.

The rest of the food was very average. There are so many better restaurants in Singapore for seafood such as East Ocean Seafood Centre. Do not go to this place. I will tell all my friends and boycott this restaurant to the extend we can.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank ChloeQ24
Singapore, Singapore
“Make your own mind up, worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

I have to admit I am somewhat surprised at some of the comments below, had we read these I am not so sure we would have eaten here, I am really not sure of the waitress was having an off sales day, or we were simply more clear and concise in our ordering, however, we had no such issues, in fact we ate four courses and enjoyed two large Harbin beers to wash it all down for a little over $40 Bucks, great value and really good authentic food, right in the heart of the Chinese Quarter, this place simply has to be good to survive, the competition is just too strong in this part of town. Whilst I was not adventurous enough to try the Live Bullfrog Porridge, we had four great courses, plentiful serves and really tasty food. What swung it for us was the numbers of locals eating there, again surely another good sign that this is a place worth checking out, I would recommend it for sure. We had very attentive and polite waiting staff serving us.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
singapore
“Beware of overcharging and a one time business”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I bring my five childrens for a dinner as they like to try pepper crab and chilli crab so i ask the china waitress and she say $48 per kg. I told her we want to try 2 kind and dont give us very big
crab.In the end i ended up a 2kg pepper crab and 1.5kg chilli crab which cost more than $170 for crab .I ask her and she say sri lanka crab all very big in shell.Apart form this , we order 3 more dishes and end up eating more than $350 in bills for less than 5 dishes for 6 persons.My friend also had a bad experience when she entertain guests,she end up paying more than $600 for 6 persons dinner when they see opportunity struck when u have to entertain guests. How can they never ask the clients whether it is Ok for the weight of the crab or fish.This is not a big restaurant and their service suck even plain water cost 30cts each.Siting at the hall on 2nd floor you can feel the tremor of electric drilling road work and you cant eat at ease.
of the building.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bel1688
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great food in a casual environment at reasonable prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

At first sight you don't expect much but once you get through the ordering and your dishes are served (all at once or totally not in any logical order) and you start digging in, you realized that for all it's other short comings, it's not all that bad a place.
It only has a 'B' grading from the government hygiene police but my sensitive stomach didn't have a problem. Often they fall short of the 'A' rating for technical reasons.
Only one major criticismn is that it only has one type of beer. I'll try the wine next time.