“Wow view”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marina Bay
Description: Derived from the ancient Sanskrit word for ‘bowl’, JAAN is an intimate, 40-seat restaurant dedicated to showcasing the finest in Artisanal French cuisine in Singapore. The Artisanal menu by Chef de Cuisine Julien Royer is built around a passion to showcase the freshest ingredients through simple but beautiful dishes that reflect both culinary tradition and creativity. The result is an imaginative, innovative cuisine that celebrates and respects seasonality, terroir and the skills of the world’s best gourmet producers.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Nice n lovely ambience with great dishes served with fascinating view of Singapore at night. Try to get window seat if you're there to celebrate special occasion with your loved ones.

3  Thank yangly11

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is my 3rd or 4th time here after an absence of 1+ years. During the reservation , i mentioned i was celebrating my birthday and requested for a window seat. They replied to say all the window seats were taken, fair enough

When we arrived, i can see that there are 6 tables by the window, and 6 tables away from the window. i was given a table right by the middle entrance, where everyone passing by the corridor can see us. I then assumed the restaurant would be full

We opted for the 5 course lunch and it started off well - 2 amuse bouche that were tasty and creative. Starter of 63 degree egg was excellent and came with dry ice dramatic flair. The other vegetarian starter was colourful but apart from that, forgettable. The salmon confit with roast pork was ok. The main of lamb was very good. Dessert was a chocolate tart, and very good also. Ended with petit fours, which the dry ice performance was repeated

Just before dessert, they offered the truffled brie as an extra at a cost, which we declined. If we ordered the 3 course set, we would probably have tried it

Halfway through the meal, only 5 of the window tables and 2 of the other tables (including me) were taken. And the couple with the other non-window table was given the window table. why not me? Who knows. And i was getting a little upset as obviously there was no one else in the other non-window tables, and they were much better positioned in the quiet corners, compared to my "middle of the restaurant and next to the entrance table"

And of course, the fact that i was celebrating my birthday there and mentioned it during my reservation didn't matter to them. There was no effort on their part to make you feel special

On the above 2 points, there is no way i can give them 5 stars although i very much liked to in the beginning. May not return

2  Thank bcheong
RC-Hotels-Pte-Ltd, Director of Food & Beverage at Jaan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear bcheong,

Many thanks for your review and while we are glad you enjoyed the food, we are disappointed that our service standards were not up to the mark on this occasion.

Our service staff should have informed you that tables are allocated at the time of booking and accept that we should have taken care of the matter in a more appropriate way. There is also no reason why we should have omitted your birthday from the booking and for that we sincerely apologise.

We have since re-iterated this to our team to ensure these misunderstandings don’t reoccur.

We would love to see you in JAAN again. If you do decide you would like to dine with us in the near future, please ask for me by name and I will be happy to take care of your reservation personally.

Warm regards,
Nick Flynn
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I had dinner there recently and had the menu prestige at S$238 each before service charge 10% and goods and services tax 7%and a bottle of white wine . When I asked for water , the Caucasian who was taking the order asked me if it was normal or sparkling , I said again normal water, he again asked if I wanted still or sparkling water. Thinking that the restaurant wasn't going to offer one normal water , I asked for still.
Dinner was wonderful , each course amazing with complexity of tastes and textures .
When the bill came , I found out that the still water offered was "Omuse" still water and was a stiff S$18 a bottle before taxes!
I am willing to pay for wine and even Acqua Panna but it is ridiculous to pay this for water to drink at dinner !
The very least the person taking the order could do is to inform the guest of the cost or provide a water menu for him to choose from. It left a very unpleasant aftertaste to a otherwise wonderful evening .
This kind of experience makes the customer feel as he was being taken for a fool.
Management should look into this issue of clearly stating the options for drinking water for guests seriously if they are truly concerned about the guest's dining experience .
My bill for dinner was S$680 for 2 persons.

2  Thank mikefred6465
RC-Hotels-Pte-Ltd, Director of Food & Beverage at Jaan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear mikefred6465,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We continuously strive for food and service excellence at JAAN, and sincerely apologise for not meeting the standards that we have personally set for ourselves. We have notified our team and briefed them on communicating with greater clarity to prevent future occurrences.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write your review and hope to welcome you back to JAAN for a better experience in the future.

Thank you.

Warm regards,
Nick Flynn
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had lunch there last week and the whole experience from start to finish was spot on.
From the minute we got to the top floor and met the lady at reception right through the culinary experince, it was top notch. Lunch is great value for money and its a busy little place with roughly 30-35 seats. All of the courses were very well excuted from the canapes through the the amuse bouche and right through the starters, cleancer, mains, pre dessert, desssert and petit fours. Very enjoyable and very well balanced from textures and flavors.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

It's probably the best restaurant in town!
The food is just AMAZING!! I'm going there often to bring my clients or friends.
The chef could deserve easily a 2 Michelin stars except for..... the service...
I know that in Singapore it's complicated to get a good service but for a restaurant like Jaan it's a shame that the waiters or managers are not up to the standards of the food.
Staff doesn't speak English properly, all have different uniform so you don't know who is the sommelier/manager or waiter. Water is forgotten, bread not replenish (even if you asked twice)
I honestly love this restaurant so I keep coming back but they should hire staffs with experience of gastronomic restaurants.

1  Thank lilypa126