“Good Food, Good Ambiance, Good Decision”
Review of The French Stall - CLOSED

The French Stall
Price range: US$7 - US$74
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: THE FRENCH STALL is a casual french bistro that offers diners authentic french cuisine at affordable price. Besides our popular 3-course sets, our specials include pan-fried foie gras, escargots in garlic butter and beef fondue. Our Giant Profiterole, chocolate soufflé and home-made crème caramel are must-try desserts. We have an extensive wine list that complements our menu as well. Dining at THE FRENCH STALL has become a weekly affair for many of our customers. The chef cum owner, Mr Xavier Le Henaff, has a great team behind him to offer our customers a dining experience that can only be found "just like in France".
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Food, Good Ambiance, Good Decision”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Last Saturday we decided to try out TFS Bistro in Little India on the back of some recommendations from friends for authentic French cuisine at affordable prices. The restaurant is open on two sides to the streets but noise is not a problem. If anything it adds to the Parisian feel of street side dining and ensures the diner is cool but not a/c freezing.
The restaurant was not too busy for us to get a table for 2 at 7pm though it was fairly busy when we were leaving.
Staff were friendly, pleasant and helpful with menu offered immediately and daily specials explained. Ambiance was enjoyable with a real bistro feel to the restaurant. The menu featured a fixed price selection from the a la carte for $32.50 with an extra charge for some items which represented great value. Orders taken, we perused the extensive wine list, heavily populated with recognisable French (and other country) wines. A number of wines were not available but owner Xavier recommended an excellent Croze Hermitage which hit the spot. Why are wines so expensive in Singapore?
Starters of French Onion soup (could have done with a couple more crouton) and smooth Chicken Liver Pate were excellent followed by a 200gm sirloin cooked to perfection for herself and a favorite of mine, Confit of Duck Leg (Extra) which melted in the mouth and was as good as I've ever tasted. Desserts of Giant Profiterrole with vanilla ice cream, smothered in chocolate and a lovely moist Tiramasu finished off a most enjoyable and reasonable meal.
All in all, the recommendations were well deserved and TFS Bistro will feature highly on our list of favourite restaurants in Singapore

• Visited January 2013

Farmington, Connecticut
“Good and getting better”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

More French restaurants are opening in Singapore, seemingly a new one every month. The TFS Bistrot (f/k/a/ The French Stall) is one of the established. It's small, open-air and simple, but they maintain popularity by serving good food at reasonable prices. Sometimes dishes taste a bit improvised, but that's what French food is all about--creative use of locally available ingredients. Just remember where you are...on a small island with no farms. Order seafood or pork (from Malaysia) before beef, and you won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2012
Wayne, New Jersey
“My casual French favorite”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My kids loved this place and so did I. Authentic French tucked into the India section of Singapore, but well worth the cab ride. Simple Bistro fare at a reasonable price. The food is excellent. Wine list is small but well thought out and reasonable for Singapore. They also have the coldest draft beer. Sit outside and just enjoy yourself. Great for families and couples. I never had a bad meal here and the owners and staff are very helpful and friendly.

• Visited December 2012
Guisborough
“A French experience in Little India”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Quality food with good service at a reasonable price in a strange location.

Pork ribs with a tasty salad, followed by a giant baked Alaska.

A draught beer followed by a coffee.

Ann excellent night

• Visited December 2012
Hongkong
“Disappointing drop in standard”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

There were many occasions previously when I wanted to go to the French Stall , since it was round the corner from my home and I had heard good reviews. However, they only open late afternoon and for dinner and also close on Sunday. I tried to go a few times without reservations on Friday nights but they were full. When I called, no one picks up the phone.
I finally managed to go one evening around 9 pm with a pal, but we only had the foie gras and an apple tart which seemed pretty good.
However, I finally tried the full dinner special with my husband and another couple.
What a disappointment it was - though it was reasonable value for money as the portions were generous , there were many substandard events - the special of the day , the salad had an uninspiring oily dressing - somehow the vinegar and oil was not blended with the chef's touch and the leaves were just slicked leaving a bad aftertaste. The parmesan was nearly non existent not a happy start. My husband ordered his beef medium , but it came medium rare.
My escargots tasted like oily rubber , and the filo pastry was swimming in butter- not crisp but soaked - certainly not done quickly in high heat which makes all that difference.
The service was pathetic - The Burmese waiter kept saying "a moment " which sounded like " hey woman " which addressed to my friend seemed extremely rude. The worn out elderly Filipina ignored our requests for more napkins and water until dessert , though we asked for them after our starter. The chef / owner and his wife ( the one who collects the bill ) had neither a smile nor a polite query re the food for us , though we spent nearly $ 300.00 - I recall that they were all friendly and smiles to other guests when I had gone the previous time.
The duck breast was fine , quite tasty and dauphin potatoes ( but who can go wrong with that ) were reasonable .
The apple tart was the biggest let down - when I went the previous time, the apples were beautifully caramelized - I knew this would take 15 minutes , and I placed the order during the mains - obviously the Burmese waiter who was unhappy with us since I asked him why he kept calling my friend " woman " must have forgotten to inform the kitchen .
They were in such a hurry to close the restaurant at 10 pm though they said last order at 10 pm - so sad when previously good places start going downhill as the owners get jaded and maybe profits go down because it is a tough call for f & b in Singapore , given the restrictions on foreign help and the high operating costs

• Visited September 2012