“Neat local eatery with fast service and good staff”
Review of The Garden Slug

The Garden Slug
Ranked #6,887 of 11,067 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighbourhood: Joo Chiat
Neighbourhood: Joo Chiat
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Visited the Garden Slug last evening as a last minute choice for dinner. We had cowboy burger and a plate of meatballs to share. The burger was well cooked and had beef, bacon, cheese, egg, lettuce and relish and was served with some chunky cut fries. Good portion and delicious taste. The meatballs were also very good and were in a nice tomato based sauce, with eggs, cheese and garlic. Lovely. We never had drinks and the total bill was $48. Which included GST and Service charge. Service was good and the food came quickly despite the place being quite full. A good choice and we would go back.

There are newer reviews for The Garden Slug

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Love the setting and ambience. Food is nice. Serving size is also rather big for one. Good for sharing. Friendly staff who also can accept special requests eg pre-order one of their soups not on that day's menu. Reservation recommended.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

in preparation and presentationa! After all, paying a restaurant is about the food presentation as well (and service for me). I had the nicely seasoned and delicately done grilled fish with prawns (tails on), plus lettuce and tomatoes with marinated salsa roja (and it is not salsa verde - since I have also lived in California and have many family friends who make salsa verde for a living - granted I am taking into consideration that I now live in Singapore) on a sesame seed bun. I have several issues here: first the combination of grilled fish and prawns on a sesame seed bun is NOT the way to go. "The Garden Slug" folks need to re-conceptualized this entree, personally. Some options could be: serve the fish and prawns in a bed of mixed salad greens, in a bed of rice with veggies or mixed greens with quinoa, or in a wrap/tortilla with some rice - as long as the prawns are deveined and tails are removed. Yes, I mean it, please tails off! Such an inconvenience to take the tails off to begin with using my fork and knife - DON'T CALL IT A BURGER! If they were minced fish and prawns combined as seafood patty burger, then, it is do-able. Second issue which I mentioned already - tails off please! The food is after all SGD$20. Third, wet lettuce and tomatoes with dripping juices would cause such havoc when eating a burger generally, right? YES! I think this is a common knowledge - get a lettuce dryer or pat your lettuce and tomatoes before using them. So the fish/prawns burger were soggy on the bottom which amde the entire meal soggy. However, I cannot complain 100% as the service, the fish/prawns and salsa were tasty and the tiramusu was also deliciously light - granted I typically use mascarpone cheese - it was still delicious. Please reconsider preparation and presentation alternative for this dish as I would like to come back since it is two blocks from where I live.

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I went for brunch - it was decent, but portions are rather small. still might go again - the coffe was ok and the sweets were good.
inside&outside seating.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I liked the comfortable indie vibe of the place, and a big plus is that it is pet friendly. So if you have big dogs, this is one of the few cafes in Singapore that will be happy to have your pet sit at an outdoor table with you.

There are nice bookshelves within, and food is good.