“Ambience and not much else” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,347 of 10,417 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, French, Pizza, European
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Singapore, Singapore
“Ambience and not much else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

Just went here for my mothers birthday celebration to my everlasting regret but to be fair lets start off with the good points. The ambiance of the place is great and if youre looking to come here to unwind with a few drinks then Picotin is the place to be (providing you have transport or are willing to take a taxi as the place is rather secluded). The staff here are generally friendly with what I think was the service manager being more than accommodating in moving us to a table where we didnt smell the constant cigar smoke from one of the customers.

Now onto the bad, the lower ranked staff such as the waiters are nice but untrained and not very professional with one of our orders being ignored twice in a row. The food itself although not inedible was pretty close to bad. We ordered fried calamari, the charcuterie plate and clams for the entree and for the mains we ordered 2 pizzas, steak and the tuna nicoise salad. The calamari was undercooked and under seasoned (think bland and soft instead of crunchy and tasty), the clams were also very average with not much flavor and 30% being empty shells and the charcuterie plate was rather average (the cured selection of meats although not bad weren't great not to mention overpriced).

Onto the mains: the steak was flat out horrible (not joking when I say you can get better at a hawker center). For $42 it was undercooked (not the good kind either), under seasoned and of the 300grams we paid for 100 grams was either bone or a helluva lot of gristle. Nicoise salad was kinda tasteless and doused with too much oil in my opinion. I will say that the pizza there wasnt half bad although the goat cheese on one of the pies was slightly off/old.

For a bit of perspective I am not a food snob, I eat at cheap places more often than not, I do however have high standards in food due to my upbringing as well as being a chef in training. So if youre not particularly picky, then Picotin will provide you a decent dining experience albeit with very average food. However, if youre just looking for drinks and pizza then Picotin suddenly becomes a pretty good place. But if youre looking for a good dining experience, I recommend otherwise.

• Visited May 2013

Stockholm, Sweden
“Great pizza and happy kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

After much debate from the kids about where to eat I sent out a HELP to my friends. We were recommended this child friendly restaurant by one of my friends with 3 sons - I thought if it passed their requirements it would be fine for my 2. I showed them the menu and it has Pizza, pasta and good deserts - yes they said. It was just as good when we ate with lots on the plate and all good. We left with the two of them sharing the Chocolate Mousse with marshmallows and chocolate sauce - a big hit - good night for all. Good range for adults as well - I had the Beef Bourguignon and left very full.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pic0tin, Guest Relations Manager at Picotin Express, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Picotin, and we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your meal and your visit to Picotin. We look forwards to welcoming you again.

Kind regards,

Picotin Management
Singapore, Singapore
“A good spot for a drink and meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Second visit to this venue. Not the best place to have a meal but good enough. Service is a bit spotty and prices are a bit high..

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as previous reviews led me to believe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Went here for lunch and was expecting more. Couldn't really complain about the food but it was average (we had smoked salmon and snails to start followed by lamb burger and honey glazed ribs) maybe we should have tried the Pizza that previous reviews rave about. The desserts were the best, floating island and chocolate moose both lovely. But most disappointing was the setting, we sat outside and it just felt dirty. I had to wipe my seat down before I sat on it and there were ants crawling over the table. I made the mistake of looking up and the ceiling is filthy, loads of mould on the awning. Plus the 'view' is the car park, the drains and some grubby concrete and electrics. Just felt like it all needed a good clean and refurb.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

My friends and I go to this place once a week, never disappointed, great pizzas (restaurant and delivery).
a real break from the busy city restaurants... I will definitely come back here often as long as I'm in Singapore.
Great place to chill with friends, birthdays etc...

• Visited February 2013