“Disappointing and glad to Leave.”
Review of Darwin House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Falkland
Darwin House
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at Darwin House and they were the the most disappointing of our 8 days in the Falklands . The house is in a lovely location in a small settlement . Our room had an excellent view over the water.....but... The whole house is seriously in need of refurbishment . Our rooms were cold and dreary with no comfort whatsoever. The bathroom was well past it's best with only a Bath.....my husband had to use the communal bathroom down the hall as he prefers to shower. The walls were paper thin as we could hear our fellow guests talking in their room .I never felt comfortable whilst in the house. I enjoyed my breakfasts there but I found having to share a table with other guests and there being no choice with the menu very stressful. All evening meals were 3 courses .The first evening we were served for our main course...Sausages and Mash..a bottle of Wine which was ordered came out in a very fancy decanter but was wine from a tetra pack! It tasted like cooking wine. Obviously in the Falklands there are few choices for travellers and that night my husband ,son and myself all retired to bed feeling rather deflated.and still hungry !. On the second day we arranged to go out in the afternoon with Graham in his 4x4 on a Battlefield Tour. This was excellent and away from the house Graham was an informed and animated tour guide. The second night we were the only guests staying at the Lodge. We had a much better meal and only drank a G&T from the Honesty Bar . I was glad to drive away from Darwin House.

Room Tip: Only 2 rooms have a en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jangus55
There are newer reviews for Darwin House

Reviewed 22 December 2012

I have just spent a week in the Falklands.. and spent your first two days in the company of Graham and Fiona..We were met at MPA by Graham and driven the Darwin House...the perfect location for our introduction to Falklands.
.We had a full day tour booked with Graham retracing the British Landings at Can Carlos bay to the final battle at Goose Green, prior to the assault on Stanley. A great tour and some great and significant sites of this battle were explained and bought to life by Graham.
The House itself is in a small settlement which numbers less than 10 residents, all of whom came to celebrate a family birthday during our stay...
Rooms had great views and tranquil location.It was like being on your own desert island, albeit a bit colder...!!

Highly recommended..

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed here at the end of our week in the Falklands, and it was the most disappointing of our stays. The rooms, both the bedrooms and the common spaces, were tired, and while the hosts were good at providing local information they did not make us - in particular, the children - feel especially welcome. The food was good, though.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Zenk73
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed for only one night, with our children. We found the accomodation to be tired and in need of an overhaul. The bedrooms were cramped and the communal bathrooms functional but nothing more. We also found it a stressful place to be with children as we felt they weren't particularly welcome unless on 'best behaviour'. Fiona's cooking was excellent, and the meals, therfore, delicious, and she went out of her way to make the children a snack in the middle of ther afternoon so that they didn't get too hungry before supper.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kenzas73
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We came back to Darwin for our last night for our three weeks in the Falklands. What a wonderful way to finish the trip. Our hosts were so friendly and helpful. Having stayed in Stanley several times, this was a much nicer way to spend our last night on the Falklands. Very nice setting. Lovely house. Food was over the top. We met some interesting guests while we stayed here including a film crew doing a film on the Falkland wars and a veteran from the Falkland war. Everyone was as happy with the place as we were. We were picked up promptly at the local airstrip and delivered timely to Mount Pleasant for our departure on the LAN flight.

Room Tip: Maybe because we are Americans, we had been booked in a room with a private bath. If I had booked th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angeles
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We had a great time at Darwin House. The location is amazing and our hosts gave us a very interesting introduction and history of the area - the Colonal H memorial is just 10 minutes from the house. The house is surrounded by wildlife with Shags nesting outside, it is also a short walk to Goose Green.

The food was very good and I found the hosts very welcoming (they even baked me a birthday cake).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graeme W
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I enjoyed some incredible moments in the Falkland Islands, but my stay in Darwin had to be one of the best memories of my trip. The settlement and the house made me feel so relaxed, I was sad to have to leave. The set-up of the house made it very easy to make friends with the other guests, and with the Fiona and Graham (the managers) themselves. The conservatory is very relaxing, as are the walks around the settlement. Just within walking distance their is the wonderful scenery of Choiseul Sound, the stone Gaucho Corral from the 1800s, the old settlement cemetery, a plenty of old 'relics' everywhere you turn. Local Darwin resident Ken Greenland was the perfect guide to show you all the things that you could easily miss such as the old Argentine bunkers dotting the landscape. He brought the place alive. I especially enjoyed the walk along the coast from Darwin to Goose Green (minefield included). When I get the oppotunity to return, a stay at the Darwin House will be a must. I can only hope that Fiona, Graham, Ken, and Pete (another local Darwin resident) are all still there, because I cannot imagine the place without them. If you want a place to feel at home, this is the place.
-Jamey (visit was in February 2011)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Jamey J

Been to Darwin House? Share your experiences!