“perfect combination of history and wildlife”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanley
Pebble Island Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Stanley B&B and Inns
United Kingdom
“perfect combination of history and wildlife”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Cannot fault the lodge or the island.War history was moving and the wildlife fantastic.Would highly recommend a visit here if ever you visit the Falkland Islands.
The accomodation , we stayed in the royal room and the food were excellent.

2 Thank location125

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Pebble Island was the second stop on our 3 week Falklands Odyssey. Here nature rules and anyone who comes looking for 5 star resorts and restaurants might be disappointed. But that is not what the experience is about. After a 10 minute flight on the local FIGAS aircraft (8 passengers, almost a taxi service but super efficient), we landed on Pebble Island and were met by Brad and Jacqui who drove us to the guest house, our home for the next 3 nights. Walk into the atrium where you leave your boots and you will be surprised by the profusion of tomato plants and herbs growing out of the wind. The large lounge is filled with the kind of comfortable arm chair and couch that makes you want to curl up and read a good book while looking out the enormous windows. The two story green and white structure has 5 large en suite bedrooms. They provide your basic requirement -- a comfortable bed, desk, chair. The bathroom is basic but shampoo, conditioner and soap were provided. Our first day we hiked to the nearby ponds where black necked swans and grebes as well as other birds were nesting. Along the beach, huge clumps of grass cover the white sand dunes and lead to the most incredible white beach we have ever seen. We got back to the lodge in time for "Smoko," the name for afternoon tea on the islands, complete with freshly baked cake and cookies. Dinner was a delicious tooth fish (Chilean bass) with grilled vegetables and roast potatoes; apple rhubarb cobbler with thick cream was served for desert. Meals are served family style but if you are still hungry after eating what has been put on your plate, you can always ask for more. On our second day, Brad, a young Australian who together with his partner, Cat, serve as guides, drove us to the West side of the island. It was an all-day trip during which Brad showed us sites related to the 1982 Conflict before taking us to the birding sites. It was a photographer's dream -- Magellanic and gentoo penguins, southern giant petrels, rockhoppers, skuas. Offshore, Commerson Dolphins were surfing through the waves. Our packed lunch was supplemented by Brad with hot tea or coffee, a welcome respite from the cold wind. Our third day was bleak and windy but it didn't stop us from going out. This is a fact of life in the Falklands. After a full English breakfast, Jacqui drove us to the East side of the island, which is quite different from the west side. We saw albatross and penguins, rockhoppers, shags, skuas as well as dolphin and kelp gulls. Dinner was roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, carrots, cabbage and roasted potatoes. The portions were more than sufficient. We loved Pebble Island! Jacqui, Brad and Cat were exceptional hosts and guides who did everything they could to ensure that our visit was a complete success. Highly recommended.

3 Thank Shutterbugdi
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

we stayed recently in Pebble Lodge the staff were very friendly with the owners on site all the time.The food was home cooked, great variety and delicious.All tastes catered for. The staff were also friendly and Kat and Brad were brilliant as tour guides and made delicious "SMOKO" snacks. We hope to be back soon Rooms very clean and comfortable

Room Tip: everything was lovley
1 Thank sheenac m
London
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Absolutely fabulous stay, such welcoming hosts, fantastic scenery and a real sense of history. I would definitely recommend staying here. Arriving by a tiny FIGAS plane just added to the great fun. A truly unique place, I'd be envious if you go there!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tooting3
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

People who do only one side of the island are missing a unique experience. In my opinion, one needs a minimum of three nights here. It is probably the best place in the FI. Current hosts Brad and Kat are outstanding people who put 150% of themselves into their work. Meeting them was an important part of my experience in the FI. I was disappointed with the current owners who apparently want to sell the lodge and aren't spending much time on the island right now. I had to insist on an adjustment on my bill which should have been taken care of before presenting it to me. I would also like to suggest (without eliciting afresh comments that "we aren't a London restaurant") that menus be announced to guests in advance, perhaps by writing it out on a chalkboard or just letting guests know at breakfast and before they depart on their daylong tours what is on offer for the evening. I understand that it isn't possible to offer a choice but on the other hand if I had a 6' 3" man and a petite 70-year-old pensioner over to my house for dinner, I might at least serve the guests two meatballs and then offer an additional serving if anyone so desired. This would eliminate the older lady wasting two meatballs of the three served. Doesn't it make sense that an older lady wouldn't eat the same amount of food as men in their 20s-50s? I'm the first to admit that I need to lose weight, but the only place in the FI that I lost weight on this trip was at Pebble Island. Here are a couple differences between this lodge and others in the FI: you only get 1 small bun sandwich for lunch whereas other places offer two sandwiches (1 ham, 1 egg etc.) and other lodges ask guests if they have had enough or would like any more. When you're paying top price for full board, you shouldn't end up noting such things. I guess the worst thing was being told I was "one of thousands" of tourists when I asked (twice) about the possibility of meeting the farm manager who will be retiring in June. I was extremely disappointed that this was discouraged because people are an important part of my experience in the FI. I guess it's easier to snap pics of wildlife. At any rate, not all tourists are a commodity with a price tag. The rest was terrific, and many thanks.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brad F
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in January 2014 on my own.

The lodge is beautifully appointed and is warm, cosy and welcoming.

The hosts Jacqui and Alan have provided pretty much everything that you could want. There's a lovely dining room, serving a full board including (tailored) breakfast, packed lunch and dinner.

The lounge is spacious, comfortable and very well equipped with TV, radio, books and games, as well as an honesty bar.

The tours - West end and East end have been put together intelligently, and take in the whole length of the island - over 2 days. Our guides - Brad and Kat - we're informed, relaxed and helpful.

Wifi cards are available for purchase (£10 for 100 minutes) so you can keep in touch, and post fab photos online!

I stayed for 2 nights, but 3 or 4 would have been great. There is a suggested walking route, but you can wander pretty much anywhere, provided you adhere to some common sense and entirely reasonable "rules".

I saw Macaroni, Magellenic, Rockhoppers, Gentoo, Commerson dolphins, sea lions and a wide range of other birds.

Fab, fab, fab!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ed L
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Pebble Island is a magnificent part of the world. I stayed for three nights, and went on both tours (East and West). The wildlife is extremely impressive, as it is in all parts of the Falklands. People with an interest in penguins will be particularly pleased to discover that a leucistic Rockhopper visits the Island, and that there are Magellanic, Gentoo, Rockhopper and Macaroni penguins on Pebble. The more knowledgeable wildlife enthusiast will be able to identify more bird species on the Island than I could list here.

If potential visitors have an interest in the Falklands War or military history more broadly, Pebble Island is the outer island to visit.

The accommodation is comfortable, the food is high quality and the hosts are extremely friendly and knowledgeable in equal measure.

I had a brilliant time at Pebble and highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Pebble Island Lodge? Share your experiences!