“10 wonderfull days in Pucon”
Review of La Tetera

La Tetera
Ranked #10 of 56 Pucon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 October 2012

La Tetera is a very comfortable hostel, placed in a very quite road near the centre of Pucon. I slept very well.The room was cosy, the beds are good and everything was kept very clean during my stay. A little desk was helpful for the daily work at the laptop. The internet connection was always brilliant.

The breakfast is very nice with the self-made bread and the variety offered each day.
And last but not least, the continuous help of the manager couple Ruth and Grietzen is priceless. What ever I needed I got the help and support. Thank you very much again.

On my first day I have arrived coming from Santiago. There I have slept at a five start hotel.
May be the bathroom looked more modern, or the size of the bed was bigger. But if you would ask me for a rating I would not give full marks. I travel a lot and I sleep in all sorts of accommodation. But at the end of the day it is the personal service that you will keep in your mind if you remember your holiday.

Monika B. from New Zealand

Room Tip: I had a room with the view to the Vulcano Villarricca and own bathroom. However, the shared bathroom...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We arrived late, they were not nervous, had the time to explain everything about the city. For people with a lot of questions or who need a lot of help to get around, they are at your service.
Realy kind people what speak differnt languages. the breakfast room is cozy.
The rooms: well, there is not too much place. If you pack out something from your backpack or suitcase, the way to the bathroom and/or to the door is blocked.
Location: close to the center and quiet

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

"Teapot" is cozy little wooden hotel. I thought it comfortable enough: power input, heater, good breakfast. The only drawback - the lack of internet.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My friend and I stayed in June. When we arrived early we were shown straight to our room, which was good. The room was absolutely freezing - but did eventually warm up. The bathroom however, never did and was freezing the whole time we stayed (ok it was winter but still ...). The bathroom itself was tired looking and the bath blocked a little but the water was piping hot.

Our room was at the front of the hostal so it had fantastic views of Volcan Villarrica but it was also above the living room of the owners and their toddler and could be noisy on times.

Breakfast was included but then we were given a menu with different prices which was confusing as we were not sure what was included and what (if anything) we had to pay for. Still, what we had (which was included in the price) was very nice. Also, on the day we got up early for a trip, breakfast was left out for us at the little breakout area where the rooms are upstairs after we mentioned we would be leaving early.

The breakout area upstairs has a relaxing sofa and chair and a little table with 2 seats, it's a sun trap and quite small but relaxing. There is also a flask of hot water left there so that you can make a cup of tea or coffee.

The rooms are very small but clean and tidy here but it's pretty near the main road where all shops, bars and restaurants are located and for the money we paid, fairly good value but for me too cramped.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We have been to Pucon many times and stayed in different places each time, but always took breakfast there as it is good. So i thought we could stay there for the long weekend.
The managers there are great helpfull for anything you need to know about the area, or things to do.
The breakfasts now are much smaller, the portions have been reduced quite a lot over the last 18 months, having said that the price of the room we had with private bathroom
was 28 mil peso per night inc the small breakfast. We stayed in the room at the top of the stairs, where the boards creak when people pass, the window looks out onto the main street, where 2 doors up a house has 5 dogs which bark a lot during the night. The room we had, had a tap that dripped all night, with 2 tiles falling off the wall in the showeroom. In the morning you are woken by the sound of someone chopping wood very early.
Pucon is a great place and Tetera is quirky and has a closeness to its guests, we wont go back, maybe we expexcted too much for so little.?? It has nice touches like free slippers while you`re staying and free tea and coffee, maybe as a softener for all its faults.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 5 December 2010

As the manager of Hostel La Tetera I am quite surprised about your remark about the breakfast.
Since early 2007 we are offering a menu with 7 different kinds of breakfast, stating exactly what every breakfast consists of, and we have never offered less than stated in the menu: You get exactly as mentioned in the menu and I can assure everyone that we will keep doing this now and in the future.

Furthermore I would like everyone to know that we have fixed the bathroom (2 tiles, tap) and that we will try to keep infrastructure in excellent conditions. For that purpose we leave a feedback form in every room so anyone can inform us of any abnormality encountered during their stay and we try to fix it as soon as possible.

Our hostel is made of wood which explains the noises of the stairs and hallway and since we are very central located in Pucón we do have close neighbours which have dogs. These things are beyond our control and we hope that nevertheless you will enjoy a stay in our Hostel.

The La Tetera Team.

Reviewed 21 April 2010

Pucon is the nicest town we have visited in South America: beautiful lakes, the volcano, great cafes and restaurants and lovely people.

Pucon is small so the location of the hostal is good. The hostel is clean and quiet with a good book exchange. The garden at the back is nice as well. There is wi fi and the rooms are really cosy. The breakfasts are really well presented and tasty.

Additionally there is a really good language school in Pucon and it is a great place to take a break on your travels.

Reviewed 16 December 2009

La Tetera is a most enjoyable place to stay. I arrived on the overnight bus from Santiago, which meant I was way too early to check in. They let me drop my bags off and offered me some tea. They let me check in by about 11:30.

The rooms are basic but clean. The shower takes some getting used to, so read the instructions they've put up first! The bath in my room was a bit grotty and very slippery as the drain was blocked (as in almost every place I stayed in South America).

Pucon gets very cold, even in November, so the in-room night-store heaters were fantastic. It was a comfy 22 degrees celsius in my room when it was only 8 degrees outside.

One of the main highlights of La Tetera is the breakfast, which was the best I had in South America. Also, if you plan to climb Volcan Villarica, they will prepare an early breakfast for you, which was great.

All in all, a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo