“Friendly, clean and lovely setting”
Review of Canales del Sur

Canales del Sur
Ranked #25 of 43 Puerto Varas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This is a family business and it shows. The owners were most hospitable and served breakfast on our schedule. The rooms were spotless and the grounds were beautifully maintained. Our extended family rented a double room and a two bedroom apartment. This family cares about their guests!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Canales del Sur

Reviewed 14 February 2011

My husband, 22-yr old daughter and I spent one night in this lovely home. Wish we would have stayed longer. We are not big fans of B&Bs but this one changed our mind. Juan Antonio and Flor were so warm and welcoming and made us feel like we were at home. We enjoyed the sun porch overlooking the lake in the evening and even though there were others in the house we felt like we were alone. We stayed in a guest room in the main house and felt right at home. We had a car so the distance from town was not a problem. I think it would have made a nice walk if needed. I would highly recommend this B&B and hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2010

The Canales family were very friendly and made us feel at home. We are from the USA,Oregon and regretfully don't speak alot of Spanish. The Canales were very fluent in english which helped considerably in us finding places to eat and fun things to do during our stay. The morning breakfast was great. ..especially enjoyed the honey that is locally made in Chile(it was so tasty we purchased a couple containers at the local store before we left.). We loved the time spent their and would like to return some day.Thanks

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2010

There are many good things about Canales del Sur but:
1. It is a long way from town. If you walk a couple of hundred yards towards town there is a signpost indicating 3 kilometres. The taxi cost is about US$4
2.You are told to treat the house as your own, the downside to this is that there is nowhere other than the bedroom that is for you. We never felt comfortable and spent most of the time in the bedroom which was small
3. The son was on the computer all the time. We did not feel comfortable asking him to get off it do so had to take taxi into town for e-mails etc.
4. Hot water was turned off at 11pm
5. I do not want to be best friends with the owner - they were far too friendly.

We never felt comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martinrDevon
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Funny how the first ten minutes upon arrival typically says it all! Despite having a late 10:00 PM arrival Juan and Flor, who had a small gathering of friends over for a pre-Christmas gathering, not only checked me in for my 5 night stay but insisted that I join them in the festivities. Despite not typically being comfortable in such situations, I must say that I comfortably felt as though I was part of the family in 10 minutes and continued with group till evening's end!

My room was in a quiet seperate bungalow which itself is comprised of two large rooms seperated by a small bright sitting area. Bathroom was 10 / 10 with plenty of hot water and bright as can be. King size bed 10 / 10 with plenty of pillows. Room was spotless 10 / 10 and daily service was thorough. The every large window in the room faced out across the patio and lovely garden. Beautiful grounds as well.

Other rooms as found in the main house were bright, modern, and had great views over Lake Llanquihue. The large, bright, open concept living room (with computer workstation) had natural stone and wood decor which seemed very reflective of the northern Patagonia landscape.

Breakfast were great and Flor, a dynamo and a lovely person, was always there to make sure guests started the day off well and all needs met. Juan was a wealth of knowledge in terms of local and regional adventures, outings, and restaurants.

As for location, it is about 2km from downtown core but the walk is great as one follows the beach all the way there. The view in the area is - as I was told and can certainly attest to - life changing. Volcanos, cristal blue skies, lake, wow.

After having spent 3 weeks in Argentina and Chile in multiple B&Bs, I have to say that my stay at Canales del Sur was a slendid way to end my trip. Highly recommended for the property, location, and especially the people. If I can find a way to get back to Puerto Varas, or Southern Chile for that matter, I will definately stay again.

Cheers

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Good if you are looking for the basic. Warm-hearted hosts, very clean, comfortable beds, good bathroom, basic but nice breakfast. However, I found the room rather small and it was as well as the hotel very cold. It was a very cold summer and the hosts kept the heater off. I also didn't like the owner's advice for activities. The hostel is far from the downtown. I would recommend it if you are on a small budget or a backpacker, what I am not. There is a very good restaurant nearby - La Olla. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank Priscila Salern... S
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We didn't have long in Puerto Varas but we were able to make the most of it due to the helpful advice and practical assistance (help with hire car, booking onward travel etc). The restaurant recommendations were also first class. The location is a little way out of town but that was not a problem at all due to the hire car and the number of restaurants nearby. Beautiful views, free run of the living rooms and reading rooms, fresh breakfast and very cute bedroom. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends