“Tradicion Austral B&B - Fly Fishing”

Tradicion Austral Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 43 Puerto Varas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2013

May 1, 2013
Fly fishing with John Joy in Southern Chile.
John and his family (including Odie the dog) gave me a very nice introduction to life in Southern Chile at the Tradicion Austral bed and breakfast in Puerto Varas.
The accommodations, the meals, chats with the family were all excellent - and quite frankly not something I put a great deal of thought into - I was focussed on the fishing...
And it did not disappoint ! Both the Maullin and the Petrohue were amazing pieces of water to just float and enjoy let alone fly fish. The fishing, working streamers on a sinking tip, was new to me and very effective.
And of course John's patience and ability to put us just were I could reach the fish made the experience very satisfying and something I will remember for years to come.

If you are interested in a fly fishing adventure to remember in Patagonia Southern Chile, I highly recommend contacting John to discuss the possibilities.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Tradicion Austral Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We were well looked after by our hostess once we found the place. The road "Terraplen" was not on our GPS road map, and the one way roads were confusing. Once we found number 765 along the bumpy gravel road there was no sign to indicate it was a B and B. However once we rang the bell all was well and there is off road parking. Everything is very homely and very clean, and the breakfast with scrambled eggs much appreciated. The lovely town is only about 10 minutes walk down the hill. One other odd thing is that none of the rooms have keys, but again it was all fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
cachupin53, Owner at Tradicion Austral Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

GPS map wizards have deleted Terraplen and added streets that don't exist. Openstreetmap has it right. I apologize for not contacting you prior to your arrival, as is custom, but I was off on a fishing safari in southern Patagonia. I would have sent directions. Our house is low profile as it's "reservations only" which makes it very secure and private. Hence, keys are rarely used but they are available. The road is still gravel since it has very little day traffic and virtually none at night, which makes it peaceful. Good to know you were well looked after in the end.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

My boyfriend and I spent three nights with John and Teresa and their family at the end of December 2012. John helped us rent a car and had many wonderful recommendations for restaurants and places to see. The house is large and accommodating and the location cannot be beat. Puerto Varas is lovely, picturesque town. If you are looking for experience that is like being at home Tradicion Austral is the place to be.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I was very happy with my stay at the Austral. It's a close walk to town (uphill), but in a quiet neighborhood. The family who run the house are exceptional, and made me feel like an absent relative. This was the best home of my four weeks in Chile (so far, at least). And the breakfast? Raspberry juice, mixed fruits, fresh bread ... yummy!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2013

John & Teresa were excellent hosts at Tradicion Austral B&B. The house is large with separate areas available for visitors. Breakfasts were generous and like a gourmet spread, with toast, homemade jams, meat/cheese, a platter of fresh fruit, and eggs if you wish; plus juice, coffee, tea.
The room was very clean, bathroom was always spotless and cleaned each day, and the bedroom/bedding nice and warm - you could get a heater in the room if you felt cold, which I didn't, so I don't know what reviewer Marlalee is talking about (as they stayed during the same week I was at this B&B).
It really felt like a home away from home as John, Teresa and the kids (plus the dog Odie) were very welcoming and helpful with possible eating and tourist options in Puerto Varas and surrounding towns. They also know most of the tour companies and arranged some different activities on my behalf. There is WiFi available too.
I really enjoyed my stay there for a week and would highly recommend this B&B to others if you want a place that is quiet at night but a convenient, short walk to the centre of Puerto Varas. If I make it back to this part of Chile I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank KarenJOZ
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We were supposed to stay 3 nights here but our room was freezing which was too uncomfortable so we only stayed 1 night. The location is great, hosts very kind and breakfast was plentiful but the room and public spaces were very cold with no heat. We were very disappointed.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marlaree
cachupin53, Propietario at Tradicion Austral Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Interesting! The house was full of lively guests and no one said anything about it being cold, not even them. It was 16° C (61°F) that summer day. It may have been cool in the morning but they had a heater in their room. Maybe because it was raining, they informed us that they had decided to continue traveling northward. Ten months in advance, we had reserved a triple room for the two of them as it's our only room with separate beds. They did't object in the least to paying for 2 of the 3 nights they had reserved even though they left after 1, everyone losing on the deal. Is this payback with an extremely cool review?

Reviewed 3 December 2012

This B&B lives up to the overwhelmingly positive reviews posted here. My wife and I spent three days here this past November. The house, room, bathroom, breakfast, location and hosting were all A+, enabling us to fully relax, shed accumulated dust from the road, and make the most out of our time in Puerto Varas.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple