“Economical and delicious meals”
Review of Donde el Gordito

Donde el Gordito
Ranked #19 of 146 Restaurants in Puerto Varas
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
SeaTac, Washington
“Economical and delicious meals”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We went in after having seen the review from Anthony Bourdain. It is in a little market and is a intimate restaurant with a ton of character. My husband had the Lomo al Podre which was more than enough for him, and I enjoyed the Salmon con camarones. We loved the atmosphere and the warm greetings from the owner and his accommodating staff. There was no language issues even though I do not speak fluent Spanish.

• Visited April 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

we really liked this place, the food was great, the staff friendly and helpful and the decor and atmosphere feels very European. Would def recommend it and go back, if ever in Puerto Varas

Visited March 2013
Portland, OR
“The Best!”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This restaurant was amazing. Very intimate, friendly owner/staff, fantastic food, huge portions, and decent prices.

We got the seafood stew & conger eel (white fish) with shrimp. The shrimp sauce is delicious. Got a couple bottles of wine to back it up and ended up spending ~$50 USD. Probably could have just split the conger eel and been just as happy.

Get some!

• Visited March 2013
Austin, TX
“Anything con jaiba!”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Yes, the same place that was featured on No Reservations and I think Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. But there was nothing bizarre here. I went in one night to try it and kept coming back for 3 of the 4 nights I was there. I had the Conger Eel (actually a white fish) with the crab sauce (Congrio con crema jaiba) 2 of those nights and it was DECADENT. The white fish was grilled and crispy on the outside and soft and flaky on the inside and covered with a rich crab sauce that was to die for. The first night, I opened with a crab soup (chupa jaiba) that I thought would be more like a chowder than a casserole. It was the latter, but again, so good, and was not overkill for me, with the Conger Eel dish. The last night I was there, I had to switch it up a bit, so I had the Congrio Marguerita (?). It was the same fish with a sauce that was olive oil, cocktail shrimp, tomato, parmesean cheese (?), and parsely or basil and just lovely. On my second night and third, they asked me if I wanted to start with a pisco sour, remembering me from the previous visits. Your answer should be yes to this question. They also do half bottles. This place lives up to and exceeds the hype.

They also own another upscale version of this homey little restaurant, called La Olla that EVERYONE recommended too. This was walking distance and kind of reminded me of the old mom and pop seafood places my parents took me to as a kid in Boston and maybe 10 tables. Except they didn't have latin american currency thumb tacked to the wood paneling.

• Visited January 2013
Mill Valley, California, United States
“Hidden, Tiny, fabulous!”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Our tour guide recommended El Gordito and I had the best salmon of my life there. It was 'El Gordito' style with shrimp, and enough salmon for 2 or 3. It included a choice of rice or potatoes. I tried the rice, which was fine. The pisco sour was also terrific. I especially liked the crispy crust of the salmon and the fact that it was not half raw, as it often is in the states. My husband had the conger eel with shrimp and liked it as well. He was especially impressed with the sauce. It does not have an impressive look, tucked away behind an auto service place, and a total of 8 tables, but service was friendly and fast, the food was good, and prices reasonable ($46 for 2 dinners, 2 pisco sours, and 1 water).

• Visited January 2013