“Great service, location & amenities”

Hostal Rio Amazonas
Ranked #1 of 155 Santiago B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“Great service, location & amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Recently stayed at Rio Amazonas for 20 nights - 13 nights with a group and 7 nights solo. When planning my trip, the staff responding to my emails were very helpful. From my arrival, the staff provided excellent service in answering questions, making suggestions, providing directions and more. In addition to a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere, it is well cared for and clean throughout. The two single rooms I had at different times as well as the larger room shared with two other people were comfortable with plenty of hot water. I especially enjoyed the patio area. Rio Amazonas is just a short walk from the metro (subway) and there are many good restaurants and other amenities in the area. Next door, there is an excellent shop with craft and artisan creations from Chile, Peru and a few other Southern American countries. When I return to Santiago, I definitely will stay here.

Room Tip: While I did not experience any problems with noise, it might be good to ask for a room that does not...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ErnieF47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I preferred this location much better to another area of Providencia we were staying in. It was much better in walking to sights, parks, and a fun neighborhood Bellavista.

We were in a family triple room away from the street facing traffic. It was relatively quiet with just a slight humming sound, but it was not bothersome. The gentleman that checked us in--Israel?--was very professional and informative.

There were yummy pisco sours and other treats offered for sale in the lounge area. The outdoor patio is nice to hang out, but just know that smoking is allowed there, too.

The rooms are accessible by stairs so keep that in mind if you have heavy or large luggage. We rented a car and there was secure parking --locked gate-- on the side of the property that is shared with residents on the same block. Even though it is a narrow street, hopefully you have a smaller sized vehicle.

In a rush to check out, I had left my wedding ring in the room. I only realized this when we were on the other side of town! We returned and the woman at the Front Desk had already been informed by the housekeeper who found it on the nightstand. She then called her on a radio and she came down and handed it to me personally. I could have hugged her!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Santiago-this place is for you. Located in an ideal location in the heart of the city, it is within walking distance to many great restaurants and city attractions as well as the subway. The staff are amazing and go above and beyond to make sure your stay is enjoyable. It is a small hotel with a big heart! Great value for your dollar too!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not located on the front side of the hotel. The noise from the traffic is...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was our first stop in Chile. We found everyone in Rio Amazonas very friendly and welcoming and very much enjoyed the ambience (and the breakfasts!) in the hostel, which is very well located in central Santiago. They were also very helpful in resolving a couple of problems during and after our stay which we greatly appreciated. First, we arrived without our suitcases (lost in transit) and various staff at the hostel went out of their way to help us make sure they were recovered. Second, they willingly arranged to post a back support we had left behind on departure for pick-up at a later destination in Chile - Natascia in particular went out of her way to assist with this, contacting a number of companies about possible delivery arrangements and making sure the arrangements suited us. Our stay was very enjoyable, despite our problems and made all the more so by lots of good advice on where to go and what to do. Warmly recommended -we would be very happy to go back to Rio Amazonas for a longer stay!

Cliff R

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

This hostal is ideal for a first time in Santiago. Near the metro, walking distance to all major attractions, and in a safe, clean neighborhood. The art in the common spaces is lovely, and the staff is multi-lingual and unbelievably helpful. Carolina showed us how to take the Metro and bus to wineries and we were able to save so much on transportation---more left to purchase wine! Our room (27) was spacious and comfortable, and we enjoyed the bar and the courtyard for socializing, card-playing, and just relaxing. We really felt like Santiaguinos instead of tourists---a really homey place!

Room Tip: We asked for a double and got a triple instead, which was quite spacious. If you are sensitive to...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anitaandray
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

A great place to stay and a brilliant introduction to Chile. It's in a good location near to Metro and close to Barrio Bellavista. Very helpful & friendly staff who were happy to advise on tours etc.The breakfasts were great with some lovely jams and juices and sandwiches were available during the day (and proper tea!) with a lovely outside area to eat/drink. If we ever come back to Santiago we would certainly want to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I lucked out with this place. The double room was amply sized enough and equipped with a fan. Once the availability of that ran out I switched to a smaller single room that barely housed me and my bags and had no fan.
However, the beds were comfortable enough, the breakfast adequate to get you started for a day, and the common space set up to meet fellow travelers and learn the ins and outs of Chile.
The crowning glory though, was the staff who spoke pretty decent English and who, when paired with my pretty amateur Spanish, were able to help me with everything from making phone calls to findng my way around. They even called ahead from their office for me to make sure I had a room at my next city destination when I failed to recieve my confirmation.
Good wifi and two computers available for use...slightly spotty function.

I am going back to Santiago and have already booked my time at this hostal...A sure sign of approval.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo