“The best hostal I've ever stayed in !”

Hostal Rio Amazonas
Ranked #1 of 173 Santiago B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent about 10 days here while taking a Spanish course at the COINED school just across the street. I have stayed in hostels in many countries, and this is the best I've ever stayed in. Clean, comfortable, quiet at night, great atmosphere for reading, relaxing, etc., in the lobby, great breakfasts, very friendly and helpful staff, great location. I had checked out other hostels and hotels in the area, but many of the other hostels seemed to cater to a younger, louder, more partying crowd (I am 43), and I wanted a place where I could be social in the evening if I chose to but not be surrounded by partying 20 somethings all night. I enjoyed meeting a variety of people from many countries in the dining and reading areas. Finally, the location is great. You can walk to many sights and are just a few minutes from the Baquedano metro stop. I hope to return to Chile with my family and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I heard noise occasionally from the street, because Santiago is a big city and this hostel is on a m...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank clmsparks

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was fortunate to stay here for 6 nights and got to stay in two very different types of rooms. My first room (2nd floor off garden terrace) was a single bed--almost monastic space, which was tiny but sweet, especially as I was not spending too much time in my room. It was like a lovely nest to come home to. The only complaint that I had was that the shower was not terrific and very small, but everything was small in this space. I discovered the hotel's amazing water pressure capability when i moved to the third floor double, with a huge everything (bed, window, bathroom) due to some floor work going on on near my first room. Either way, both rooms were comfortable, spare and clean. Breakfast is lovely with fresh juices and breads, yogurt etc. Plenty to start you out on your day. Excellent coffee. Above all though were the people, particularly Carolina whose English was impeccable and she was helpful on many different levels, including helping me to catch a cab when I was in a panicked time-crunch, and translating for me when a nationally known folk singer was sitting at breakfast with me. I would have stayed there longer given the chance and would definitely recommend and go back here. Another thing that is really interesting is that in past reviews there were comments about outside noise in the front street facing rooms. In my smaller room, the window faced the street and it was not too loud, but set back a bit. In the larger room, the window faced the street but had been double glazed. Was this a response to the reviews? It was very quiet and effective. I wish I had taken advantage of the sweet little bar and the adjacent craft shop, but time would not allow it for me. All in all a magnificent and wonderful stay. Definitely a highlight for my first time in SA.

Room Tip: Rooms off street are quieter, Deluxe room on top floor is huge and great shower.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

One of the nicest hostels I stayed in in South America. Indeed, if you get a private room, you'll appreciate that this place has all the advantages of a hostel with none of the disadvantages of a hotel. During my 2 night stay, staff were consistently efficient, knowledgable, and welcoming. My room was bright and clean, (though on my first night, a couple of very loud drunks on the street woke me up about 4 a.m.. Maybe try to get an interior facing room?) The family has carefully preserved the building's beautiful architecture. I loved the two pleasant communal areas: an intimate interior bar (opens early, closes around 10 pm) and bright outdoor terrace. And what a great location near really good dining options, a park, Pablo Neruda's museum-home...You'll find a decent breakfast, and a small book exchange too. Overall, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank bitofasnob
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had a great two night stay here. The staff were very helpful and the hostel and our room was very nicely decorated. The included breakfast was good too. It's not right in the centre, but still only a few minutes walk to the main street in Santiago near to some cool areas of the city (shops, restaurants, bars, markets etc). We would stay again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Recently stayed at Rio Amazonas for 20 nights - 13 nights with a group and 7 nights solo. When planning my trip, the staff responding to my emails were very helpful. From my arrival, the staff provided excellent service in answering questions, making suggestions, providing directions and more. In addition to a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere, it is well cared for and clean throughout. The two single rooms I had at different times as well as the larger room shared with two other people were comfortable with plenty of hot water. I especially enjoyed the patio area. Rio Amazonas is just a short walk from the metro (subway) and there are many good restaurants and other amenities in the area. Next door, there is an excellent shop with craft and artisan creations from Chile, Peru and a few other Southern American countries. When I return to Santiago, I definitely will stay here.

Room Tip: While I did not experience any problems with noise, it might be good to ask for a room that does not...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ErnieF47
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I preferred this location much better to another area of Providencia we were staying in. It was much better in walking to sights, parks, and a fun neighborhood Bellavista.

We were in a family triple room away from the street facing traffic. It was relatively quiet with just a slight humming sound, but it was not bothersome. The gentleman that checked us in--Israel?--was very professional and informative.

There were yummy pisco sours and other treats offered for sale in the lounge area. The outdoor patio is nice to hang out, but just know that smoking is allowed there, too.

The rooms are accessible by stairs so keep that in mind if you have heavy or large luggage. We rented a car and there was secure parking --locked gate-- on the side of the property that is shared with residents on the same block. Even though it is a narrow street, hopefully you have a smaller sized vehicle.

In a rush to check out, I had left my wedding ring in the room. I only realized this when we were on the other side of town! We returned and the woman at the Front Desk had already been informed by the housekeeper who found it on the nightstand. She then called her on a radio and she came down and handed it to me personally. I could have hugged her!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2014

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Santiago-this place is for you. Located in an ideal location in the heart of the city, it is within walking distance to many great restaurants and city attractions as well as the subway. The staff are amazing and go above and beyond to make sure your stay is enjoyable. It is a small hotel with a big heart! Great value for your dollar too!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not located on the front side of the hotel. The noise from the traffic is...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends