“Spend your time and money elsewhere!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Gaon

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Las Condes
Santiago
“Spend your time and money elsewhere!”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I'd been wanting to eat here for ages, and came close one week before this visit but found the restaurant mysteriously closed (on a Saturday night!).

The first impression was good, with a couple of Korean families enjoying dinner. Always a good sign. That didn't last long. It quickly dawned on my how poor the dining room is; badly-lit, no real decor of note, with basic pine tables with four high-backed and hard wooden chairs squeezed in.

After a good 15 minutes we were asked if we'd like a drink. I ordered a Campari, which caused a reaction of utter horror on the face of our waitress, almost as if I'd requested a pint of her blood. Since they didn't have any (obviously not a well-stocked bar) I asked for a Korean beer. Again, a look of disdain crossed her face. I ended up with a Peruvian beer.

Then the fun started. My girlfriend ordered a simple vegetarian starter, Kimchi Man Du, basically dumplings stuffed with kimchi and tofu. I opted for the pork dumplings. We both ordered rice dishes as our mains.

The first dish to arrive (after about 30 minutes) was my starter, followed 30 seconds later by the appetizers that should have appeared shortly after having taken a seat. A minute later (really!) the main courses arrived. After our waitress explained twice to my partner that "the tofu dishes take a long time to prepare" it became apparent that she had completely forgotten about it. As we were both a bit agitated at this stage, she decided to skip the starter and go straight on to the main course, which was sat sizzling away under the grill.

Both rice dishes were poor. Mine promised prawns, and had I brought a microscope I could have probably found them somewhere in the oily rice. My partner's dish was even worse. The tofu had zero preparation, maintaining that off-the-shelf raw tofu look (and taste) which she quickly shoved to one side of her dish to then attack the oil rice.

We had no dessert, no coffee, opting instead to go and have a drink elsewhere.

What really gets me about this place is that it costs the same as Europeo. La Mar, or Puerto Fuy, all excellent restaurants where the service excels, the menu is rich and varied, and where you feel your money was well-spent.

I have nothing positive to say about this place. There really is no reason why you would go to Gaon in a city where great culinary experiences are happily now in abundance.

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank gjamesscl

Santiago, Chile
“Very good for a first approach”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

First of all, I had never officially eaten korean food. All the foodie craze about korean BBQ made me a bit anxious so I decided to pick this one who was nearby home. Service was very good and fun, the only thing it lacked in my opinion, was a bit more info for a newbie. I don't know if i did things right or wrong in a certain point, but the food was tasty (and substantial).

• Visited November 2011