“Nice Restaurant if you don't want to leave the hotel”
Review of Anakena

Anakena
Ranked #137 of 4,745 Restaurants in Santiago
Price range: US$20 - US$60
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the gardens of the hotel, Anakena offers exotic specialties from Thailand and other parts of the world, prepared with fresh seafood and meat, prepared in the continental, grilled or Thai style. A variety of delicious dishes are offered, with a full salad bar and tempting desserts. Hours Open Monday to Sunday
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The food was very good and had a nice Thai "flair" but it if you are used to excellent Thai restaurants this may be a little disappointing. It is good but not that authentic. The menu also has a section of local grilled entrees which is nice if you several of you can not decide what type of food you would like.

Service was a little pretentious at times and they were not happy that we did not want to order wine.

1  Thank larryAnnapolis
There are newer reviews for Anakena

Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Second time and it was the same experience. Despite of the Thai chef, dishes are far from original ones. I wouldn't reccomend it as a good Thai restaurant. It lives from its previous glory. Dessert' offer is really bad

1  Thank Michel_Tesmer
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Last night my wife and I were joined by two friends at this great restaurant. We wanted to try something different and Thai seemed like a good choice. We were not disappointed as we had outstanding appetizers to start with and excellent main dishes. Of course, we had some outstanding white Chilean wine (Sauvignon Blanc from Matetic) too.

We went with the waiter's recommendations and they were all tasty and good. They say that any Thai restaurant that prides itself of being the "real deal" must have really good Pad Thai and this was no exception: Their Pad Thai is second to none.

I like my food spicy hot, but Chileans are not really used to it, so even when you ask for a plate to be spicy, it is mild or medium at best. However, you can always ask the restaurant to prepare your plate a bit hotter/spicear if you would like.

This restaurant is located at the Santiago Grand Hyatt hotel, next the main building and by the gardens, so the atmosphere was really good. The service was excellent from the time we made the reservation to the time we got the check/bill.

Overall, a great experience that we all really enjoyed.

1  Thank Christian G
Reviewed 15 April 2013

When going to Anakena I would recommend arriving through the hotel and then circulating the pool, it makes it feel like more of an occasion, especially when you can sit outside with the lush grounds and waterfall in the background. The inside is nice but just doesn´t have the same appeal. My wife and I had the Thai soup (Tom Yum Goong I think) for two to start which was delicious, full of the typical lemon grass flavours and spicy enough to suit most pallets without being OTT and at about eleven thousand pesos (22USD) for two was good value! My wife then had a stir fry style dish with king crab which was delicious while I went for a be dish with green curry, also delicious! With pisco sours to start and wine with the meal it was not cheap but also not expensive considering the location, just go easy on the digestives as they can soon mount-up!

After two visits with friends and just ourselves we had a work dinner there, while it was OK it certainly didn´t live up to our previous experiences by a long chalk, not bad but no wow factor but that maybe what happens when you go somewhere with over twenty people....

All-in all I would thoroughly recommend it!

Reviewed 29 March 2013

We dined at Anakena our second night in Santiago. I was really excited for some cuisine variety after spending 2 weeks in Peru. Thai is one of my favourite cuisines!
We went into the restaurant early in the day to book our dinner that night. They asked if we wanted indoors or terrace. I mentioned terrace as it would be nice to get fresh air which was all fine at the time.

We arrived for our booking for two. They took us to a table of three inside. I mentioned we had booked a terrace table. They said they were all booked out and put us on a two seater table near the bar close to the terrace. This was the first thing that annoyed me a bit! As when booking it was all fine!

The staff did not seem very friendly or inviting. The menu was okay but not very traditional Thai. We ordered a mice starter, Pad Thai and yellow chicken curry.

The starters were nice! Proceeding they took all our cutlery but forgot to replace half of it. The Pad Thai arrive, the flavour was there but the noodles were very chewy. I don't know if they were undercooked or just not the same noodles as other Thai restaurants. Te curry came out instead as a red tofu/veg curry. They replaced with chicken a per order however I was disappointed the curry was a hot red and not yellow as we asked! Usually yellow currys are very smooth and one of the best!

Overall for the type of hotel this restaurant is located at and comparing to other restaurants in complex standards. I would rate this restaurant very average! If you only have a few nights in Santiago don't waste your time! I was disappointed by my Thai fix!