“Modern hotel in great area”
Review of W Santiago

W Santiago
Ranked #40 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Miami Beach, Florida
“Modern hotel in great area”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Clean, safe neighborhood with lots of nearby restaurants (try Tiramisu). Lively atmosphere in lobby/bar areas. Rooms have great views although noise from hallways can be an issue. Helpful staff (did not seem aloof as some have mentioned). Excellent gym and spa.

Front desk - easy, efficient check in/out with Sophia. Changed rooms and everyone was accommodating. At times desk appears understaffed though.

Rooms - modern with great views. Noise from hallway can be an issue if you are a light sleeper or insomniac like me.

Gym/Spa - excellent gym with free weights, machines and cardio. As good as you will find in a hotel. Good massage in spa.

Lounge bar - Nate and all bartenders are friendly and make good drinks. Try a clementine crash.

Whiskey Blue - attractive, mostly local crowd. Doesn't get started until around midnight.

Pool - small rooftop pool with lots of direct sun and fantastic views. Kitchen is sometimes slow, but no complaints once food arrives.

Room service - prompt service. OK food.

Concierge - helpful although there was an issue with car rental company.

Overall, if you like W brand and atmosphere you shouldn't be disappointed. If W isn't your cup of tea check out Ritz. It is nearby and quieter.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Hello RazorsEdge,

Thank you so much for writting about your experience in W Santiago.

We are very happy to know you had a wonderful time in our property and that our location accomodated you.

I would personally like to thank you for acknowledging our staff specialy Nate of our W Lounge Bar and Sophia at Welcome Desk.

We are thrilled to know that our facilities and services such as pool, gym/spa, whiskey blue, room service and concierge were of your liking.

We truly lament the noise of the corridors, we apologize.

We wish you a wonderful day and hope to see you again soon.

Warmest Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I'm actually still here at the W hotel Santiago for another three nights, and I'm not trying to get any favours, I never want favours from hotels, I want them to provide what they say they will provide and regardless of status.

I happen to be a ten year plus platinum Starwood member, for what it's worth, actually that's unfair as in some places it does actually make you feel part of a program that recognises that you have stuck with them rather than go off to some other loyalty program that desperately wants your business as well. There was no mention of my status or the stuff that usually gets a mention when you check in ?

This hotel, is in a great part of town for all kinds of people, if you want an authentic market and local experience it's close, like a few minutes on the underground, if you want a swanky that's all close as well.

The hotel is quite nice, although the first room we were put in was really bad, I was told that I was upgraded ?? but the toilet was in the middle of the room, it did have a large balcony which was great but totally impractical as you spend 0.05% of your time out there, the balcony was much bigger than the room, and the TV remote didn't work and the hot water didn't work for 6 or 7 minutes, that annoys me, but just a really badly designed room for all sorts of reasons.

Day 2 I asked to be moved which eventually we were to a corner room on 10, great room, and to our surprise it has a bath, which we enquired about, but were told that this room didn't have one - so that was a bonus !

Service generally is ok the ladies that make up the rooms, like almost all of the ladies globally that make up the rooms are fantastic, they probably have the worst jobs in each hotel, but they are happy and always prompt and make you feel at home and that nothing is too much trouble, I love these unsung heroins of hotels, and here is no exception.

The stark comparison here at the W Santiago between these beautiful ladies that look after you and your room and the ones at the front line here is incredible.

Front desk isn't bad, but it is downhill rapido style from there. Tonight after along day I went to the bar to get a refreshing glass of Chardonnay, they didn't have any, they told me to sit down at a table and they would come across and serve me, they never did, so I went back to the bar and got a glass of Sav Blanc, as no chardonnay, despite several bottles on the list. I drank the first one and then looked around for someone to get another one, but the packs of two or three waitresses that stand around and laugh and talk with each other, never seem to serve anyone, great job if you can get one I suppose, but not good for thirsty me. I went back to the bar where there were three barstaff, 2 boys and 1 girl, and they basically ignored me, as the boys strutted there macho stuff with the girl and the girl giggled, but all three ignored me until they realised that I was getting a bit annoyed.

They said that they would serve me at the table, but I'd heard that trick before, and I asked for glass of Sav Blanc again and it was such a devastating effort for these three to break up there tryst and when I asked for the bill to sign off, the girl almost had some sort of turn as she had to actually think and do something for a customer - wah, oh no, whatever dude !

At our breakfast experience when the breakfast reception staff just ignored us but eventually pointed to somewhere we could sit outside the main breakfast area and then proceeded to watch us move the dirty cups and plates on the table they suggested we should sit at, nobody lifted a finger to help us, in fact I really think that we ruined their day by being paying guests that sustain their employment, but having the audacity to actually want some help from them, when they were clearly busy chatting and gossiping with each other about important stuff.

Then the last thing that really freaked me out are the older guys in black suits that don't engage in any communication but simply pace around, like some KGB or FBI guys and then continuously ask if you are a guest or not and if so what is your room number, now that get's my goat especially after you've been staying at the hotel for a few days.

So all in all, this hotel makes me question my SPG membership generally as there is nothing here that your membership stuff brags about, but more importantly and I think this reasonably common, there is no staff management or training about how you might want to react and deal with your customers that largely pay money to keep you employed.

This hotel has some great potential, but until they sort out the staff attitude to spare it will always be second rate, which is a great shame.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank dunc m
WSantiago, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at W Santiago, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello Mr. Dunc

I want to trylu apologize for all the things you have mentioned. We are very sorry and truly lament all these situations.

I would like to thank you for the great feedback you have provided us, we will definately work on the aspects mentioned.

I have sent you a personal email in order to get intouch with you. We would love to speak to you before your departure.

Orange, CT
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Just got back after 4 nights at the W Santiago. It has lots of potential to be a great hotel, but fails to execute on a lot of fronts.

Location--not in downtown, but in an affluent neighborhood about 5 minutes walk from the El Golf Metro station.

Rooms--quite comfortable, but be prepared for all glass showers (which you can see from the front door in some layouts) and a temperature knob that didn't work in any of the 3 rooms we booked. From other reviews this appears to be a common problem.

Concierge--pleasant but not very knowledgeable. Can tell you how to get from point A to point B, but that's about it.

Restaurants--good food, but very pricey ($30/person for breakfast and $50/person for brunch...really?)

Pool--On the roof; great views, but seating for about 20. No service after 7 pm, even though it's light until after 9.

I got the feeling that the hotel has a reputation as a "hot" place in the city, and serves the city...not necessarily its guests. A nice place to visit, but next time I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Connecticut_Couple
Hello Connecticut_Couple

Greetings from W Santiago!

Along with greeting you I would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your opinion of our property.

We are happy to know that you found our rooms comfortable, but we lament knowing that the temperature knob of the shower was not functioning properly, we truly apologize for that. We will take corrective actions concerning this matter, thank you for informing us.

I have shared your comments with the Director of rooms concerning our Concierge Team in order to improve on the point you have mentioned.

We are very glad that you enjoyed our restaurants and the pool facilities.

Thank you so much Connecticut_Couple for your feedback. I have shared your comments with the rest of the W Santiago team in order to work on all the aspects you have mentioned.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel itself is a pretty standard W.

Two issues: Shower had no hot water (when opening the cold water tap at the sink while operating the shower at the same time the water got warm, but not hot).

The other thing is service. Two attempts at getting a drink at the (not very busy) pool bar resulted in nothing. Staff promised to bring the drink, but it never came. That being said, the view from there is amazing.

Certainly not the end of the world, but I expect more at the prices they charge.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank FlyingB1975
WSantiago, Guest Relations Manager at W Santiago, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hello FlyingB1975 ,

I would like to start by apologizing for the situations you have mentioned. I have shared your comments with the rest of the W Santiago team in order to improve the situations mentioned both with water in the rooms and service at the pool deck.

We are truly sorry these situations occurred. I would like to thank you greatly for the feedback you have provided us, it will surely help us improve as a hotel.

Thank you for taking your time to write your comments of W Santiago un Tripadvisor.

We apologize once again and we hope to bring you a memorable experience next time you are here in our hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I am SPG Platinum and often stay at W Hotels, and the Santiago location hits the mark. Great location (we only walked and took the subway while there), the red line stop is only a few blocks away. The hotel itself has a huge lobby bar area which is pretty swank, a terrace restaurant and bar on the 4th floor with delicious ceviche (we went 2x in 4 days), and the 23rd floor pool deck has an amazing view of Los Condes / Providencia and the mountains. Free breakfast for SPG members is a plus, and the food there was also abundant quite good. The bread was always fresh and yummy. The staff was helpful for the most part, we also had a driver (Juan) we used through the hotel to take us to Valparaiso for the day which was a great excursion. The spa is not Bliss, we didn't book appts, just used the shower post check out for the flight home, it was nothing special, although useful. I'd love to get back to this hotel again soon!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Hello BarbG0715

Thank you so much for that nice review you took your time to write about W Santiago.

We are thrilled to know how wonderful your W experience was here.

Thank you for acknowledging our services, staff, food duality, pool deck view and bars. We are happy to know that our location also accommodated you.

We wish you a wonderful and amazing 2014.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We had an excellent stay at the W Santiago. The location itself it near some of the best shopping and restaurants in La Providencia & Los Condes neighborhoods of Santiago.

The US Embassy is about 3 blocks from the hotel. There are great restaurants within the hotel and the surrounding complex, but if you walk down Isidora Goyenechea there are plenty of options.

The closest Metro station is El Golf on Linea 1 which can take you right downtown near the sights (Universidad de Chile Metro stop). About a 20 minute trip.

The staff was great during our stay. Great coffee in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing west, then you get a view of the skyscrapers. Eastern views show off the Ande...