“Worst staff ever !”

Ranked #57 of 475 Speciality Lodging in Santiago
Brasilia, DF
“Worst staff ever !”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed here only for one night, but it was enough to get angry with the staff. The attendant was rude every time I had to talk to her. She even “reminded” me that I haven’t paid yet instead of saying good morning. It was ridiculous! My entire luggage was still in the bedroom. It seemed like I was trying to run away.
We also had a problem with the breakfast. The breakfast was in a coffee house nearby, and started at 9h30. 9h30 we were there (we had to catch a plane), and they were just opening the coffee house. We had to wait for about 30 minutes, and swallowed the breakfast in 5 minutes (the breakfast, btw, was very good).
The bedroom was good, but as the hostel is very small, so people talking in the common area in the morning was disturbing.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bogota
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Was my first time in a hostal , all my fears dissapear at the first moment there.. really feel like home, excelent customer service , Maria Jose and staff always had a good attitude, professionalism and help me with everything I need. Love the hostal location, was my first time in Santiago and I loved all the turistic sites were so close! :) its a good tip for all of u :)
2 of my favorites momments there was the breakfast and the Free Pisco Hour, gives you the opportunity to share with people of many nationalities and make friends,really share experiences at that time, and the breaksfast are sooo good :)
Like everyone, we like clean, safe, comfortable, economical and easily accessible hostals... thats what I find in Hostal de la Barra, plus you can meet incredible people :)
Nathaly G. - Colombia

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
hostaldelabarra, Owner at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Nathaly,

thank you very much for taking the time to write the staff so nice words.
We have the better location in the city and there´s nothing to improve about that, but knowing that our hospitality and cleanning goals are reached make us a great day. That´s what we work for.....

Thanks again

The staff
Belém, Pará, Brazil
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Broke in Brazil alone and without knowing anything about the destination of choice for me. At the airport in Brazil prior to shipment to Santiago has had the help of a Chilean who was very nice and gave me many tips. When I arrived in Chile a taxi driver also gave me several tips on transportation, recreation, food and tourism within the city, I immediately thought the Chilean people and very courteous and helpful, I liked very much. The hotel where I was so very nice, people who knew there were quite a few friends and I have nothing to complain, only to thank the wonderful people of Chile for three days excellent. Thank you for everything Maria Jose ', Tiari and Marisol for the hospitality and friendship. I always recommend Santiago and especially girls at the Hostal de la Barra. You can go!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
hostaldelabarra, General Manager at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Hi Celio, sorry for the delay asnwering your kind review. We really appreciate it.
You are always wellcome!
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed for almost a week there, with some friends, and we've been treated really kind! Every person in the staff has been very thoughful and helpful. And we received many good vibes talking and sharing moments with these people in charge.
One more thing, it is not true what they say about breakfast! Everyday we had lots of good stuff to begin the day with our bellies full =)
Greetings from Argentina!

Diego L.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
hostaldelabarra, General Manager at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Hi Diego,

thanks for your good vibes and taking the time to write us. As I heard from María José, the staff enjoyed your stay very much. We are a small hostel and the place runs more like a house than a hostel, that´s why even though we make mistakes we always try to get better.

I notice your cleanliness evaluation was not 5 points. In the future, if something regarding cleaniless is not perfect for you please tell María José or Marisol inmediately. We all make huge efforts to keep the place spotless and so should be.

Thanks again for your staying and your review,

Eduardo
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I will admit we had a very short stay since it was just a stop on our way to Valparesio. Either way the room was freezing so if you go in the winter time be prepared. The breakfast was average and the internet wasnt working during out stay. Their was not hot water in the mens bathroom so I had to sneak into the womens shower which had luke warm water but got the job done. I have stayed in plenty of hostels and would say this is not one of the better ones.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
hostaldelabarra, Propietario at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Giovanni,

sad to hear that... we waited for a 5 points review.
Have to make some statments in case future passengers read this review. We have 35°c (63°F) this month is Santiago so we are trying to keep rooms as fresh as we can. You wanted the other direction....nothing to say except that we have and incredible heating system for winter that we could have turned on for you in a private room but not in a shared one because I´m pretty sure the rest of the passengers were claiming for cold.

Water system is one and only one for the entire hostel, we cant have hot water in one shower and not in the other ones becasue the water comes directly from the heaters, no tanks. I think that if you experimented that problem the reason had to be other one.

Internet is always running in oour computers and through free wi fi. Sometimes problems happens as in any pplace of the world due to the service is provided for a telecomunication company as expecteed. Any way, we cant be without access for a long period since our entire booking system depends on that.

About breakfast, nothing to say. We are proud of it but your opinion is very important for us.

Hope you enjoy Valparaíso. Have a good trip
Lincoln
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Good staff, great location. I stayed for a week and enjoyed it. Close to museums, bars, etc.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
hostaldelabarra, Gerente at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Hi Mike,

thank you for taking the time to write here. We are worried about your opinion about cleaning as it is one of our commitments. Sometimes in shared rooms is difficult to keep everything spotless as many different people come and go at any time during the day, however, we have professional staff (not passangers working for a bed) that do daily cleaning in every room of the hostel and apartments. And they really know to do their job. We will take notice of your complain and wil make corrections if needed.

Thanks again for choosing us
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This place has seriously luxurious bunks! The beds are large and fluffy with super clean and soft linens! The location is great albeit a bit noisy but only from traffic. Our 8 bed room got a bit stuffy...a ceiling fan or any fan really could solve the problem quickly.

Don't count on breakfast unless you're the first one there...the food is not restocked.

Receptionists are personable and kind. Chill place...no big parties here, but perfect if you need a decent night sleep after walking around all day.

• Stayed January 2012
hostaldelabarra, Owner at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Sorry, I missed your comment and I am asnwering too late. Thanks for your appreciation. We fight against budget to have the better beds in a hostel ever! and we have them....

Breakfast is restocked, maybe you have a particular problem. Please dont wake up too early as you will find breakfast until 12:00. If something has run off you just need to ask for more.

Thanks again