“Great little hotel with lots of stairs”

The Aubrey Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay here. Its a mid town location close to the university and bars.

Loved the friendly service, the excellent English and relaxed atmosphere.

The hotel has a very strange layout as it is in an old house, there are many many stairs and no lifts, this is particularly an issue if you are staying in the attic rooms. These rooms are small, and the roof impinges significantly into the room. This means the rooms are not really up to the top notch status of the hotel.

The pool, while welcome is cold, and an odd shape meaning.

Room Tip: Attic rooms are small and there is no lift.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I regularly come to Santiago for business and always stay at The Aubrey. It is the perfect place for me well located for travelling to all my business meetings around Santiago and perfect for once I have concluding all my business meeting; to unwind, relax in a wonderful ambience. The staff (all bi-lingual) are always helpful, they remember my name and welcome me back like a lost friend. The owners seem to be genuinely committed – from their care and attention to detail for both the maintenance of the unique property and for a truly bespoke level of service. The pool area, outdoor terraces and the mood setting at night is a work of art; the piano lounge, incredible. Outside of the hotel – access to the numerous shops, restaurants and bars in the Patio Bellavista complex offer an opportunity indulge Chilean cuisine and hospitality. See you next time

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GHF001
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Aubrey is absolutely beautiful. Top marks for design and furnishings, they didn't skimp on anything. Huge breakfast spread with wonderful cheery service. Some of the front desk workers were a little shy but others were very accommodating. They arranged massages, dinner reservations, taxis, and gave lots of good advice for shopping and exploring. Even sent us a bottle of champagne on the house! Outdoor gardens and pool area are fabulous - the Chateau Marmont of Santiago. Definitely eat at the Piano Lounge. The ambience is gorgeous and the food is better than any of the other well-rated restaurants we tried in Chile.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We spent three nights here but I would not recommend staying in this area. The area is filled with many homeless dogs and it is heartbreaking(more below) as our driver ran over one.The hotel itself is a beautiful building that has been nicely transformed into a hotel and the staff are very nice. However it is extremely noisy all night due to a nearby disco, the pool is ice cold and there is intense security at the hotel for a reason. We had a pavilion room - interesting setup but just a tiny little sink in the corner of the bedroom which was not adequate and would prefer it is in a bathroom. The outside area of the pavilion room was nice with a whirlpool. The bar area was nice but limited food.
The homeless dogs - many do not look healthy and they follow you around. Also homeless dogs and traffic do not mix and our driver ran over a homeless dog in the road. While this was not the hotel's fault as the driver was not from the hotel, it is an area where you can see this kind of thing happen. And it was one of the most awful experiences of my life - the screams of the poor dog. And the driver did not even want to stop to see if it needed attention but told us it meant nothing - just a stray dog. Clearly Santiago needs to find a compassionate solution to this large homeless dog problem that would include spay/neutering and animal shelters so these dogs can have a chance at adoption. Until this happens, I would avoid this area because of what you are likely to see.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy N
TheAubreySantiago, Propietario at The Aubrey Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest

I took today a more diligent look at the dogs and must say that the ones I saw seemed happy and healthy and basking on the grass in the sunshine. As i mentioned before in my direct email to you, the populace saved the dogs from neuturing/spaying and euthanasia as they perceived it as inhuman. It is easy to come into a country and feel that by seeing in a short span that a whole grasp is taken and to take a judgement. I hope you do indeed contact the organisations i gave you with the view of reaching a more informed understanding of the situation in Chile and
how you may be able to assist in a pro_active way.

Regarding your other comments pertaining to the hotel, i am sorry yyou found the pool ice cold, this is strange as it is heated everyday to 26 degrees. In Chile all buildings have a security/concierge at their entrance, this is not abnormal or imply ¨heavy security , these are people earning their livelihood and is the same throughtout many latin countries.

The mayor of Recoleta is addressing the issue of the club and promises action

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We (family of 4, twin daughters 12 years) stayed at this 15 -room property for 2 nights in mid-March after two weeks of staying in vacation rentals in central Chile and did not want to leave. The booking experience was exceptional. I called from the US and the agent walked me though the different options for our family. We chose two rooms in the central building that were side by side and had a separate closed off sitting area as an ante-room. The hotel and rooms (not huge but well thought out) were super clean and neat. A week before our arrival the concierge contacted us to see if they could arrange any activities or tours. We did book a private 4+ hours tour of Santiago and it was fantastic. This was the best way for us to see the most in the timeframe we had. In fact, all the recommendations from the concierge and owner Mark (who was on property frequently) during our stay we're excellent. The Hotel is in a Bohemian area next to the park entrance and in very close walking distance to many restaurants and bars. We did feel safe during our entire stay. There is a guard and gate from the street and free parking for our rental car. The pool area is small but lovely. The whole property is in excellent condition and decorated/ designed with great care and an eye for detail. Breakfast, afternoon tea (a different in house made cake every day) and of course a Pisco Sour from the bar in the evening art part of the experience. All the staff was exceptionally friendly and we enjoyed the courtyard lounge area to mingle with other guests. We would definitely choose to stay at the Aubrey again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Alathan
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Great location, clean and extremely helpful. Great recommendations and many great restaurants within a couple of blocks. We felt perfectly safe in the neighborhood. I agree that the server at breakfast was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I've been meaning to comment on this hotel for months now after visiting it during a business trip to South America. (So good I stayed twice!) Our agent was dubious about my desire to stay here after I had found good reviews using tripadvisor. He was a little concerned about my security in the evening if I chose to wander out. As it happened his concern was completely unfounded and I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful Bohemian nature of this Bellavista area. The hotel is a short walk from a must visit jazz restaurant El Mesón Nerudiano. However this review is for the hotel. You simply must stay here. It is relaxing, intimate even romantic with quirky features and great boutique decor. The bar area is eclectic and the pool a real oasis to soak away your cares. The food from the bar is exquisite. This has to be one of the nicest hotel I have stayed in and I can't wait to return later this year. Breakfast is a thoroughly fun affair made so by the happy and thoroughly entertaining lady I called Angel (she truly was) nothing was too much trouble for this bubbly person. Oh I nearly forgot you MUST find the time to travel to the top of San Cristóbal using the Funicular (train) which is almost next door to this hotel. The Chilean National Zoo is also your neighbour if you stay at this very special hotel.

Room Tip: Review the web site and decide on a room, all are good. But the big one overlooking the pool is spec...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business