“Excellent”

Le Bistrot de Gaetan
Ranked #7 of 4,783 Restaurants in Santiago
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In the heart of Providencia in 2010, Bistromania was born: a simple idea in a welcoming environment mixing old-time gastronomy with the great French classics. By bringing a slice of France to Chile, our goal was to conquer Chilean tastebuds and to take travelling French palates back home with our gourmet dishes in the bistrot style.Gaetan Eonet and his team invite you to their world, a simple space that reminds you of home, to discover or return to those traditional flavors...Welcome and... bon appetit !
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We are a French - Belgian Family, and have been away from Europe for 3 months. This was quite a treat. They make every effort to make it feel like France, and it does, from the greetings in French to the menu. We felt strangely comforted to see so many familiar names on the menu. Of course a Chilean wine was chosen. We had as starters the carpaccio, and as main courses the steak tartare (raw meat, called filet américain in Belgium) and the entrecôte béarnaise. Desert was nougat glacé and café liégeois. Everything was excellent. Service was attentive and effective.

In fact the least French part of the whole experience was the service, which was better than in France. It was somewhat US-like, in the sense that it was fairly fast. But never did I feel rushed.

Some comments here criticize them for being too fast. Personally I prefer this to waiting too long, especially with children. Also note that being fast allows them to fit in more people: we observed couples leaving and new ones coming in. We only got a table by promising to be there by 8 PM. I'm sure our table was filled when we left (about 10 PM).

Price-wise it was reasonable, 70000 pesos for a family of 6 (the children shared a plate, and we had only 2 deserts), or about USD 130. But we all agreed (a rare occurrence) that it was an excellent value.

Overall: feels like France to French people, except that the service is better. Would also rate as an excellent experience if transported to Paris or Brussels.

1  Thank Les V

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Every time I visit Santiago, I always include a visit to Le Bistrot. It never disappoints me!! The food is very good, the staff always friendly, the portions generous!! Very good value for money.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was one of the best meals I've had in Santiago.

We arrived without a reservation at around 9:40pm and got a table outside immediately (inside is smaller). The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the atmosphere is very relaxed. We weren't out of place in jeans and hoodies. Throughout the evening the service continued to be excellent: our waitress was attentive but not pushy, and the food arrived in record time.

The main course was simply excellent. I had the "canard a l'orange" -- duck in an orange sauce -- and chose to have fries as a garnish. It's a dish that can go wrong easily, but the chef judged it just right. The meat was butchered very well -- the bones had been given a French trim so were very clean, and they'd removed everything inedible (other than the bones) so you could just tuck in.

The cooking was similarly great. The duck was perfectly pink and fell off the bone. The sauce was rich, of a good consistency and not over-sweet. There was also a lot of the sauce, enough for all of the duck and the fries too, which I approved of. There's nothing more frustrating than running out of sauce!

In fact the portion size was generous in general, but not too large. I finished my main comfortably, with enough room for dessert.

The presentation wasn't as precise or elegant as somewhere like Astrid&Gaston, but it was still a very attractive -- and appetising -- plate of food. The fries were cooked very well but were pretty standard fries. The star of the show here was the sauce.

If I had one criticism of the main -- and this is nitpicking -- it's that I generally prefer duck to have crispier skin.

For dessert I had the "tarte tatin" served with vanilla ice cream (essentially an open apple pie). The apples were nicely caramalised and soft, but holding their shape. There was a nice hint of cinnamon too, but not overpowering. A very nice dessert, but not quite as great as the main course.

I felt the price was very good, for the quality of the food. For the above two dishes, plus a glass of wine, I paid 15,000 pesos. This is the upper end of mid-range in Santiago, but by international standards is extraordinarily cheap.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is probably one of my favorite in Santiago. The food is real French but without the snobiness! The chef always has different dishes that you can try and makes fresh new out of menu items on the black board. Really nice atmosphere and friendly place.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Great ambiance and vibe. The food was excellent. Cooked to perfection. The portions were just the right amount. The desserts were excellent. The coulant was one of the best I have ever tasted.
I live in paris 25 years! I know about good french cuisine.