“HecTours” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of HecTour Service

HecTour Service
Ranked #15 of 261 Tours in Santiago
More attraction details
Owner description: I am Hector Medina, Chief Manager of HecTour and Specialist of Bilingual Tour, Transfer & Accommodation Services. My studies are based on business administration. I had the opportunity to improve my English studies in USA and my French at the Institute of French Alliance of Viña del Mar city. Upon returning to my land I realized that my vocation was on the tourist side. It is really what I love to do. Since 2004 I have formed a group of local tour guides and drivers very knowledgeable in the areas where we live. Our main concern is to provide a unique travel experience to each client by making them experiment, a bit of culture, food, landscapes of our country from an interesting perspective. As a "PRIVATE, PERSONALIZED & FLEXIBLE” service, our guests have the opportunity to know or visit what they are really interested in modern, clean and comfortable vehicles. We affirm you that we are totally responsible for your happiness and safety while you are in our care. Our role is critical in the satisfaction of your tour and/or in your business needs. We are passionate and well knowledgeable on every tour and information we provide.
Sun Lakes, Arizona
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“HecTours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I just wanted to state that I have been dealing with Hector for the last week. All correspondence has been via email. He has been extremely responsive. We have not booked our tour on our last day, but will be sending the money today. I was sorry to see Christine's review with all the problems, I am sure it was very disappointing...but wanted to let TA viewer's that I have had the opposite experience with Hector thus far.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank DINKS521

New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Overrated service with a hefty price tag”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is my third attempt to post this review - it has been taken down twice already. Here's hoping it stays up.

I'll preface my review for HecTour Service with the fact that I want to rate him in between Poor and Average but you can't do that on TripAdvisor so, when you factor in the cost, I have to rate HecTour Service with a Poor.

After reading all the fabulous reviews about Hector, my husband and I felt we would not go wrong with booking with HecTour Service. I first contacted Hector on Jan 5 (almost a week before our arrival in Santiago) but didn't hear back from him until we arrived in Santiago on Jan 12. I explained when we would be in Santiago and the types of tours we were interested in. He replied with a long list of his services with no indication of how busy he was or apologies for not replying quicker. In any case, I replied a few days later (on Jan15) hoping that we could book a tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar with a wine tasting for Friday, Jan 17. I assumed that he would get back to me within a couple days but I was wrong.

I called Friday morning to see if he even received my email and he just said he was really busy and that he'd call me back in 15 minutes. He did call back and then said he could arrange for the tour that morning with an associate of his. We were surprised and a bit caught off guard since we would have assumed that we wouldn't be able to go on such short notice. His associate, Jackie, was nice. She picked us up around 11am. Her car did not have air conditioning so it got a bit hot at times. She was very knowledgeable and friendly but I don't think it was worth $160 per person.

When Hector called back that morning, we also briefly discussed our desire to go wine tasting on another day, Tuesday, Jan 21. Based on the list of services he provided in his email on January 12, I explicitly asked that we would like to visit the winery, Sanchez de Loria. I explained that it didn't matter which 3 we visited as long as Sanchez de Loria was included. It was a bit shocking to hear after our first winery that our remaining schedule could "maybe" include a visit to Sanchez de Loria. My husband's (and now my) last name is Loria so we thought it would be interesting to visit this winery. This was the ONLY winery I requested so I naturally assumed that this would be on the agenda no matter where the day would take us.

I explained to Hector that it wasn't an "option" to visit Sanchez de Loria - that I had explicitly talked to him about going to this winery and that I didn't understand why we wouldn't go. He said he wasn't sure what time they closed so he would call while we went on our tour of Errazuriz. After a couple phone calls he informed us that in fact Sanchez de Loria was open until about 6 or 7pm so we would have time to visit it. Oh, really? Thanks...I thought this was your job - to check all this out before the day of our tour but he made it seem like he was doing us a favor.

You should also be forewarned about the cost of the tour/tasting at Errazuriz. This was the winery tour/tasting he was really pushing and happened to be the most expensive at $70USD (40,000 pesos) per person for a tour/tasting. After being completely shocked and feeling ripped off, I told him the cost and he seemed surprised but replied with, "I said wine tastings weren't included in the cost". Considering the first winery (Vina San Esteban) we visited was 10,000 Chilean pesos per person for a tour/tasting, I really didn't think that it could be that much more. But yes, it was 40,000 Chilean pesos per person and no, he did not give us a heads up. Instead, he tried to pass the blame on us. He said that we should have asked before hand. My bad for assuming BUT as the highest rated service on TripAdvisor, I really expected a certain level of service and to be better informed. If Hector has been to these wineries before then he should know the costs, if not a simple phone call ahead of time would get the same result. Then when the customer is booking, he/she will know cost of the tour and cost of each winery. Now the customer is fully aware of expenses before the tour even starts. We were already paying ~$147 per person for him just to take us to these wineries, it would be nice to get a little more info about what to expect.

In any case, it turned out that the folks at Sanchez de Loria do not speak English so Hector ended up having to translate for us. I thought I was paying for a bilingual guide but he made it seem like he was doing us a favor (the theme here) by translating. This is why I think he wasn't pushing this winery. Oh, and the tasting (without a tour) was very affordable at 5,000 pesos. With the tour, it was 35,000 pesos. We opted to just do the tasting.

In summary and in no particular order, here are all my pros/cons about Hector. If I were you, I would just think twice about booking his services.

Cons:
1. Emails weren't returned in a timely fashion (his excuse was that it was really busy).
2. When I did get a reply, it was a long laundry list of tour offerings, helpful but not very specific.
3. When I replied, I didn't get a reply within 48 hours. I had to call on the day we were expecting to go on a tour and he promptly arranged a tour for us to be picked up at 11am.
4. The wine tour we booked he originally said he would pick us up between 9am and 9:30am. We got an email at 8:53am saying the pick up time would be 9:40am.
5. We walked down at 9:35am, he was there but ran down the street to get water. We didn't leave until close to 9:50am. Why wouldn't he have picked up water beforehand?
6. First tour didn't give us much information except we would be joining another group. Did not give us the cost or anything. I asked the wine guide how much just so I was aware (see above for prices)
7. Lunch - he brought us to a typical Chilean restaurant. I told him at he beginning we didn't speak Spanish and that my husband had food allergies. When he brought us in, I asked if the waiters spoke English- he said no and said, "ok, I will stay with you to explain the allergies." It was like he was doing us a favor. We are paying him almost $300USD to drive us and take us on the tour he offered. We paid for lunch on our own- the least he could do is help translate (which I thought was part of his services). Anyway, he explained the allergies and helped us order.
8. More planning would make his services much more worth the price tag.

Pros:
1. He was very informative about the region, area, where we were going.
2. He offered a lot of info about other areas including Easter island (shared a book and played some music from Easter Island).
3. He seemed like a nice guy and you could tell he enjoyed his job - sharing his knowledge and getting to know people.

10 Thank christine l
Falls Church, Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A full service tour company”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

We were fortunate in retaining Hectour Service for our South America/Antarctica ports in Chile as well as having Hector, the owner and founder as our guide in Santiago for 4 days at the end of our cruise. We booked all of our tours via e-mail with Hector promptly responding to all e-mails and answering questions about the different options. The guides he provided in Puntas Arenas and Puerto Montt were knowledgeable and flexible in including non touristy restaurants and sites. Both guides were prompt in meeting us at the pier and sensitive to making sure we were back to the pier on time.

We were quite fortunate to have Hector be our guide in Santiago at the end of the trip. Be sure to contact him as soon as you can because he is in great demand. If he is booked, he has other guides who work for him.

We stayed in a two bedroom two bath apartment owned by Hector--it was quite modern, located in the lovely residential and commercial Providencia area. On our first day, Hector showed us the nearby metro, grocery stores and bakery (important because not many places were open for early morning breakfasts), and the popular and delicious Domino fast food restaurant and Bar (and restaurant) Liguria. The view from our apartment was wonderful, the street was quiet and very pretty and just two blocks from restaurants, stores, etc.

Hector was special because in addition to showing us the major sites, he made sure we saw and experienced local Santiago and Chile, whether it be the special viewing sites to see the beautiful countryside and mountains, driving and walking the charming streets of Valparaiso as well as the productive farmland and wine country. Highlights were when Hector would continually stop to "chat" with Chileans to better experience and appreciate their culture and life. Hector's English was perfect and his knowledge of the country and city was enormous. He was always punctual and spent extra time if needed to make sure we saw as much as we could. Last but not least, his enthusiasm and energy was infectious making our time in Chile extra special.

1 Thank 2VeteranTravelers
Los Angeles, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Amazing tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Booking a tour with HecTour was one of the best decisions we made for our trip to South America! We arranged our tour via email and prepaid with PayPal before we left for our trip. We were very eager to see the wine region of Casablanca and as I'm a sommelier, Hector arranged our tour to be led by Natalia who is also a sommelier and has worked in many of the wineries in the Casablanca Valley. She did an AMAZING job!

Natalia met us in Valparaíso with a large sign with our name - very professional and easy to see in the sea of people! We toured Vina Del Mar and Valparaíso including a ride on an ascensor and walking around Cerro Alegre before heading to our wine tour of Casablanca Valley. Hector also called Natalia during this time and had her hand the phone to me to make sure I was having a good time and that everything was going well. Great service!

Natalia arranged for us to have lunch at Viña Indómita which has a beautiful view of the Valley and delicious food! We visited three wineries that day - Viña Indómita, Emiliana, and Kingston - before we were dropped off at our hotel in Santiago. It was the PERFECT day! We felt so comfortable with Natalia and our driver Rodrigo and learned so much about Chile! I highly recommend HecTour!

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“HecTour Services”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I highly recommend anyone going to Chile to use Hector Medina as a tour guide. He is extremely reliable and very friendly. His English is excellent. He knows exactly where to take you and very flexible. We had a group of 8 people from Sydney Australia that had varying needs and interests. Hector capably took care of all our airport and hotel transfers in addition to a variety of tours. Thank you SO MUCH Hector for making our time in Santiago wonderful. You provided us with outstanding service. The tours you took us on in both Santiago and Valparaiso were excellent. You have an excellent knowledge of Chile and your love of your country was contagious. It was very reassuring to know we were being looked after by you. I would DEFINITELY use Hector again!

1 Thank Deborah K