“Sadly, overrated”

Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My husband (Chilean) and I went here for a late Valentine's Day celebration. We live in Santiago and had been waiting to go here for a special occasion, given all the good press and reviews it's gotten. We had high expectations as it's known as the 2nd best or best in the city, but we're not overly picky, usually flexible with details about service and whatnot.

Verdict: fine but did not in any way meet expectations

We go out to eat around Providencia, Bellavista, Las Condes and Vitacura all the time and in comparison El Cid was sadly pricier and just not as good. Gringos, leave your hotel and go somewhere local, with a better vibe, lower prices, and better food! The tuna, as everyone said, was fine, it's what you expect, but you can get equal or better tuna at just about any restaurant in Santiago for a cheaper price. The seafood platter was OK but the seasoning philosophy seems to be dump as much butter as possible on the food and leave it at that. The locos, a typical Chilean seafood, were rubbery, as was the calamari, sign of a chef not paying attention to details. We were heartbroken! We really wanted to like the place!

Service was OK, attentive but slow, and the waiters weren't on the same page at all; one surprised us by saying it was fine to share the tasting menu, another came back 10 minutes later and told us we had to order something else, as sharing wasn't allowed.

I encourage those staying at the hotel to take a short walk across the Mapocho and try any Peruvian or Nikkei restaurant for more interesting, less expensive food, a cooler vibe, and cheaper prices. For two to eat, including aperitif, glass of wine, appetizer, two entrees and a dessert, you're looking at $140 here, quite a steep price in Santiago. Sadly this restaurant didn't live up to expectations. :( We really wanted it to!

There are newer reviews for El Cid Restaurant

Reviewed 5 February 2013

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We went there because we are staying at the hotel and didn't know what to expect. Everything was PERFECT!!!!!!! We had the ceviche and King Crab appetizer. My coworkers had a filet and I had the most AMAZING TUNA I HAVE EVER TASTED!!!!!! I definitely NEED to go back there before we leave Chile especially for that TUNA!!!!!! It tasted like nothing I have ever tasted before. The whole experience was wonderful and unforgettable even with tired coworkers.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

If you're willing to splurge $80 for a single lunch, consider El Cid at the Sheraton in Santiago. Service nets an A+ and the buffet alone will make you want to come back for more. I had the most excellent Osso Bucco along with three glasses of Chilean wine. By the time I left I was in 7th Heaven. Walking giddily back to the Metro with a huge smile on my face. Kudos to Carlos and his team for making my lunch a memorable experience!

Reviewed 9 June 2012

It's funny but when I travel around the US I'm always prejudicial about hotel restaurants. I use them as a last resort. That said, it would be a BIG mistake to do that with El Cid. This place is just great as it is. The ambiance, service and specially food is fantastic. It's really an international type restaurant more than typical 'Chilean', although they do have some must-try dishes, such as the raw seafood platter or the cooked version (parrilla de mariscos). Just make sure you order the "American Sauce" (which I've never seen in the US) on the side, or loose it altogether.

Somebody told us they have a new Chef, a guy from Uruguay who worked in several parts of Asia and India, so my wife decided to try the chicken curry dish which was one of the best we've had anywhere. We'll be back for sure.

1  Thank RamXX
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I went to El Cid for my birthday, and the quality of service, food and everything was excellent.

We really enjoyed going there ... It's one of the best restaurants in Santiago!