“Bad Customer Service”
Review of Chileapart

Ranked #22 of 510 Speciality Lodging in Santiago
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The location was great (it's close to subway, close to Santa Lucia and the Park - I am really amaze at the great location for the price and cleanness!)! The price was great! Like a prior reviewer was saying, this place is right next to a supermarket so you can pick up food or wine that you would want. It is clean. There is a doorman outside (this is an apartment complex for mainly residents I think) and you need to give them your confirmation email and log in with your passport number. They'll direct you to the room that Chile Apt is in and then Chile Apt will check you in and give you your room # & passcode to get into your room.

My friend & I (both female, in our 30s) were stopping by in Santiago heading to Puerto Natales to the Torres Del Paine National Park. We stayed there on our way to and from the park.

The doormen does not speak much English. English is not spoken much in Santiago (like Italy where English seems to be spoken in the touristy area) - I didn't realize that coming in (my bad on not researching that part) so I had no Spanish and no book to translate from English to Spanish (this would be very helpful for those that doesn't know much Spanish)!

I gave this 1 star for customer service. I didn't have much of a problem with them coming in to Santiago. They also ran out of the Santiago touristy map (which I couldn't fault them for that - but my friend was annoyed). That is not the reason I am giving them a ZERO star if I could, but the reason is their accountability.

I left my luggage there as my flight was at 11pm. They confirmed that they will be there until 7:30pm (which was perfect since I was going to be there around 7pm since I made reservation for my shuttle to pick me up at 7:30pm). I said that's great. I went back at 6:30pm and rang the doorbell. No one answered. I sat outside waiting to see if someone working there would come (i.e: maybe the cleaning ladies). No one did. I went to talked to the doorman to see if they could call the hotel for me. It wouldn't go through on my phone - but that was my problem - I didn't realize how to utilize the different area code to dial the #s correctly. The doorman wasn't really helpful since we couldn't communicate to each other.

I went back upstairs to ring the doorbell again to see if maybe, the lady that worked there had left and had to come back. No answer. I resumed to sit out there and waited for someone. 2 ladies came and they saw me sitting there and I told them no one was inside. They spoke with each other in Spanish and left. I sat some more and then decided to go back to my room to use the wifi to see if I could go on their website to find a different phone # or a contact but again, it was a bust since I couldn't get the phone # to dial correctly (my fault). So I went back to the room where Chile Apt is and rang the doorbell again and waited. During this time, the 2 Chilean ladies from earlier came back. They must know the lady - they called the hotel, spoke some and the hotel door open.

I was shock. Mad. Angry. Why didn't the lady open up the door when I ring the doorbell 3 DIFFERENT TIMES! I had resumed myself that I wasn't going to be able to fly back with my luggage (thank goodness I was carrying my passport). She was friendly greeting me and I mumbled a Hello.

One other thing - At about 1am, I heard someone trying to get in the door with their passcode and they couldn't get in. There is no customer service at that time. I'm not sure what they ended up doing but there is not an around the clock customer service if that is what you need. Go to a hotel that would offer that.

It would have been good had I not had that poor customer service. All I have to say is, don't leave your luggage there unless you expect to not get it back with you. & good luck!

3  Thank Serena_Charlie
Chileapart, Gerente at Chileapart, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear guests,
About the comments of this customer and what our team reported... she just knock the door when the reception girl was in the restrooms (sometimes we have only 1 or two people in the reception, our low costs are translated to low final rates). It was a minor problem but the customer was very stressed about that. We are sorry about that.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

When you arrive to the location there is a front desk area where they contact the company and then they send you to the office unit number. We arrived early,....when we got to the unit it is an actual apartment that they have converted into their office. They stored our luggage for us and allowed us to freshen up as they have a complete bathroom in their office. We explored the area for a couple of hours and returned. They give you a map and explain the locations near by that you can explore by walking.
When we returned we got out luggage and went to our unit. Each unit is assigned a code to unlock the door so there is no key, which I thought was cool because there is now no key to lose.
The apartment is perfect for a couple on vacation. It is small but very practical and very clean as it has a full kitchen with enough for what you need to make any meal. There is a supermarket downstairs right next door so breakfast was a snap and kept us full so we had a nice late lunch as we explored all of Chile. The shower had plenty of hot water--in fact sometimes it would get too hot suddenly but that was okay for me. The bed was comfortable and the small sitting area in the living room was good enough to sit and drink a bottle of fine Chilean wine. We were given as a gift a bottle from the Veramonte winery ---The Carmenere that Marco Ruiz gave us on our tour to Valaparaiso & Vina del Mar was superb!!!! Which brings my to my next review of MARS TOURS also owned by chileapart!!

Hello friends from Florida,
Many thanks for your preference and comments.
Hopefully we could receive again in your next stay in Santiago.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

The apartment I stayed in had a master bed and the living section outside had a nice seating area.Kitchenette had all essential pots and pans if you want to cook your own food.
I found the quality of the apartment to be very good.We stayed in another more expensive boutique hotel before coming here and regretted not booking all our days here.
Very clean and hassle free checkin.The doors have a passcode so no need to carry around a key or card,very modern.Laundry room also available.
Highle recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Hello friends
Many thanks for your preference and comments.
Hopefully we could receive again in your next stay in Santiago.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Wow, I paid such a cheap rate for this hotel and was a bit fearful as it was my last stop after visiting a dozen other places across South America - where I learned you usually get what you pay for. But such was not the case here.

The location is smack in the center, about a 5 minute walk from the main square, and the apartment was AMAZING. The first thing I said to my friend is that, "Wow, this is a place I would love to have as my own."

The apartment was very modern, equipped with new cooking accessories and a microwave, and was extremely clean.

A major grocery store is next to the apartment, and it's located about a 5 minute walk from a very nice commercial/restaurant area where there's a wide selection of places to eat, cafes, etc.

I really couldn't have been any happier with this place!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Hello friend from UK
Many many thanks for your wonderful comment, and hopefully we could receive in your next stay in Santiago

Kindest regards

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Me and my friend Elena stayed in Chileapart twice: Once after our trip to Patagonia and once in the end of our trip back from Atakama. Both times we were very pleased with the service and the location. Chileapart is very central and the fact that the supermarket is next door makes it easy if you wish to cook at a home or just want to shop for breakfast. It is also very convenient that there is a laundry room in building B- the apartments are in three high rise towers. Check in was easy. On our first stay a member of the personnel came to greet us and explain how to open the door and all the amenities available. The apartments are clean, have cleaning service every day and it is convenient that there is a taxi service to the airport especially if you have an early flight.
FOR me however, the highlight of our stays was the excellent service provided by the personnel and especially of Carol who helped me enormously during our second stay: I had forgotten my camera and lens in our hostel in Atakama and she helped me get it back by talking to the HOSTEL owner since my spanish is limited and arranged for the dispatch of my camera. I will always remember the professionalism of Carol matched with her kindness in my time of distress.
I will definitely choose CHILEAPART when I 'll be back in Santiago.

Room Tip: I think that it is best to choose rooms higher up and not the ones with street views but choose the...
1  Thank 2000MINA2013
Chileapart, Gerente at Chileapart, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Hello dear friends from Atenas,
For us has been a pleasure to have the chance of giving you a little help when things get troubled. Yes I passed your lovely comments to Carol and she is very happy for that, many thanks.
Hope your camera reaches your city soon. Please let us know any question about that.

Have a ver nice week,

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed for four days, then returned for a last night after a trip to Patagonia. The whole operation is very well organised, the apartments we stayed in were clean and well equipped for a short stay. The location Is perfect, with restaurants, a good supermarket and easy access to all the downtown attractions. We were lucky enough to have a spectacular mountain view, which was a real bonus. Our unwanted luggage was stored while we were away, and the office staff were very helpful in arranging taxis to the airport, and a day trip to Valparaiso, with a really good driver (Rodrigo) who speaks excellent English and is very knowledgeable

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello friends from UK,
Many thanks for your comments and for your preference. And please do not hesitate for recommend us to your friends and family.

Have a very nice week
Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in chile apart twice while in Santiago in November 2013. The first time we stayed for 4 nights and the second time we stayed for a night after a late flight back into the city.

We had mixed views on the apartments. Chile apart have a number of apartments in a huge apartment block with three towers. A number of reviews have commented about the check in process - we found it really simple. You explain to the security guard that you are with chile apart and they give you an envelope with all the check in information you need. A member of chile apart came to greet us for our first stay and showed us to our room.

The apartments themselves are pretty good - we cooked in ours every night and it had all the equipment we needed. They could be modernised a little, eg the windows and balcony door don't fasten shut and the apartments are a bit worn around the edges. Our first apartment also smelled quite smokey. But these are fairly minor comments as overall they are clean and of a good standard.

The location in downtown is great - you can walk to all the main sites (the main squares, the palace, mercado). We also walked to bella vista and providencia. You can walk to the lastarria district in the evening for bars and restaurants which we were told is safe, but it isn't safe to walk the other way into downtown at night (as with any big city in South America).

Our only more negative comments were that the swimming pool was out of service on both our visits and we felt the staff should have informed us of this before our stay, as that was one of the reasons we chose the apartment. Secondly when we arrived at 3am after our late flight on our second visit we were disappointed to have been booked into a twin room when we had been told we would be in the same apartment as our first stay. The staff were very apologetic the next day.

Overall it is a great value option and very good location to explore the city.

• Stayed: November 2013
Chileapart, Gerente at Chileapart, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Hello friends from UK
Many thanks for your comments, and yes you have condensed the key issues of our service and location.
About the problem with the pool, we apologize but believe me that we did not know that the maintenance tasks would take so long.... in fact they told us the first time should take not more than 2 weeks.

Have a nice week