“Lovely apartment!”

Ranked #74 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Atlanta, Georgia
“Lovely apartment!”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We got one of the loft apartments and were really impressed with the place. The location is perfect to get around Santiago, right across from Cerro Santa Lucía and steps away from the metro station. There is also a huge supermarket next door for anything you might need. The staff was super nice and check-in was a breeze (although a bit different since this is not technically a hotel). The views from the 15th floor were amazing and the apartment itself had everything we could possibly need. I loved the modern decor and the lighting too. Internet was not very stable but reseting the router fixed the problem. Having a phone to make local calls was very convenient. My only complaint was that the apartment was way too bright (windows were floor to ceiling) so not the best environment to sleep but other than that I loved it and really felt like I was a local living in downtown Santiago. Would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views of the city.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Piolina
Chileapart, Gerente at Chileapart.com, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hello friends from Atlanta
Many thanks for your preference and comments.
Hopefully we could receive again in your next stay in Santiago.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Novosibirsk, Russia
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 days in this hotel in room double superior.

Important! Those guys are offering fantastic price, especially taking into account their room quality & location (500m from Plaza del Armas, 500m from Castle Hidalgo). However price is not a magic stuff. Their economy is on front desk, consierge, restaurants etc. basically this hotel is a number of flats in the building, bought by a company and used as hotel rooms. Be prepared for that. If you need a usual hotel infrastructure except rooms itself - this is not your choice.

'+' English speaking office. At least 1-2 persons in the office speak English.
Swimming pool on 18th(!) floor with panoramic (!) view. This is truly amazing option is available FOR FREE.
Rooms are clean, adequate size & really comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014
Hello friends from Russia
Many thanks for your preference and comments. You have condensed some of the key factors of our success.
Hopefully we could receive again in your next stay in Santiago.

Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

As others have said, the issue with Chileapart is their service. The rooms themselves are what you'd expect for the price and the location is excellent. But if you have a problem, forget about it. They are not good at sorting out issues and don't seem to understand that that comes with the job of running a tourism business.

We turned up in Santiago without a reservation, which obviously we didn't realise would be an issue here as we weren't aware of their location in a block of mostly residential apartments. After I called the guy he did get the doorman to let me in and I went up and made a booking for later that day. He agreed to hold our luggage and when we returned at 2pm the room was ready. Up until this point, everything was good.

When we arrived at the room everything seemed fine, but we had been up all night and wanted to take a nap before going out that night (it was a Saturday). When I pulled back the bed covers, they were covered in hair (head and pubic, on pillow cases and sheets and cover). They clearly had not been changed. The rest of the apartment seemed clean so I thought it was an oversight and called reception. He promised to have a maid come and change them. I waited an hour. I called again. He said she was busy servicing other rooms but I wondered why this was not priority - after all cleaning rooms of guests who are staying multiple days is surely not as important as those who've just checked in. If their beds are filled with hair, at least it is their own!

The saga of the dirty sheets continued for about three hours, with one receptionist finally telling me they didn't bother to come because she called the maid who was supposed to have changed the sheets and she said she had done it, which the receptionist believed. Surely the type of maid who doesn't bother to change sheets might also lie about it? The receptionist was incredibly condescending and acted like I was asking for something ridiculous. At 5pm, my husband and I decided we'd had enough and as we hadn't yet paid, strapped on our bags ready to look for somewhere else. Then a maid did show up and proceeded to change the sheets, although I was told by reception that they would not have time to change the sheets in the spare room as they were too busy. We had wanted a one bedroom apartment and because there wasn't one, the man gave us a two bedroom for the same price. Those sheets were also dirty and remained dirty throughout the three days we stayed. As an aside, this apartment was definitely not big enough for four people. The second bedroom was closet sized with two bunk beds and there wasn't enough living space for anyone other than us.

If the sheet incident hadn't happened, I probably would have thought the place was okay for the price, but it did happen and the fact my husband had to go down to their office with pictures of all the hair on our bed to get them to do anything about it was unacceptable. The apartment was a bit shabby overall, with a stained sofa, ripped bed parts and damage around windows etc. Also, although we had a TV in both the bedroom and the living room, they only provided one digibox so you had to keep changing it over when you wanted to change rooms, which was quite irritating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoC716
Good afternoon,

As this customer said, they had no previous booking. This is not recommended for anyone since in many dates Santiago hotels and apart hotels are very crowded.
It seems the incident with the cleaning was because the room was not cleaned at the time of arrival (the customer was not supposed to enter in the date). Nevertheless, it is the first comment of this kind in more than one hundred comments. Our cleaning procedures are really strict and we make quality control before every checkin.
We made a room upgrade for this customer at NO COST.

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Make sure you read the fine print regarding the cancelation policy. We canceled three weeks prior to arrival but still got charged. Bummer. I've stayed there in the past but will not stay there again. Bad policy.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank StandingByZed
Dear guests,

About the comment of this customer, he took a "Non-refundable" rate with a Internet Portal. As every people knows, the "non-refundable" rates have a very good advantage: very low price but with the condition of no-cancelation. Since he took his decisión before, he considered a "good policy"... until he could not travel... then this "good policy" turned to a "bad policy" because were expecting a total refund.
There is no "fine-print". We are very respectful with the conditions of every booking. Furthermore, as a hotel we canot cancel a "non-refundable" booking since the internet portal does not allow that in their extranet portals.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Hi! As the others have said, the apartment is very cute and the location cannot be beat. We arrived in Santiago on Saturday evening and the airline had lost my husband's bag and my name was on the hotel reservation. It was hard to communicate with the doorman, the "Chileapart Office" was just a wood condo door that we felt bad knocking on, so we felt pretty isolated there. The bag thing got worked out by a stroke of chance and we did finally communicate with the "office" by phone, and they were helpful with transport back to the airport. Basically, if you like a front desk and concierge, this is not your place. If you want a little flavor of what it's like to live in Santiago, it is. Note that the rooms in Tower A on the street side are SUPER LOUD in the summer (need to keep the windows open, but major bus route on Merced).

Room Tip: Rooms in tower A on street side are loud.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest

Thanks for your preference and comments.
About the apartments in A tower, it is important to know only the low floors (6 and below) to the street side are more louder. Every other apartment is quiet. Neverthleess we are progressively installing air conditioning equipment in order to keep closed windows.
The Double Superior apartment category has air conditioning.

San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 24 December 2013

ChileApart is in a residential apartment building, very close to the Santa Lucia metro station. All amenities are nearby - supermarket, liquor store, restaurants etc. There are also a lot of other hostels nearby, so tourists are always around in the streets - this made me more comfortable walking around at night.

The apartment is good, with a little kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom area. No issues, everything was basic but clean.

The only thing we did not like was the fact that there is none of the service attached to staying in a hotel such as front desk, calling a cab etc.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest
Many thanks for the comments and preference.
Yes we are not a traditional hotel, but as other customers had written it is one major advantage in terms of Independence, space, low rate and overall confort.

Missouri
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The location was great (it's close to subway, close to Santa Lucia and the Park - I am really amaze at the great location for the price and cleanness!)! The price was great! Like a prior reviewer was saying, this place is right next to a supermarket so you can pick up food or wine that you would want. It is clean. There is a doorman outside (this is an apartment complex for mainly residents I think) and you need to give them your confirmation email and log in with your passport number. They'll direct you to the room that Chile Apt is in and then Chile Apt will check you in and give you your room # & passcode to get into your room.

My friend & I (both female, in our 30s) were stopping by in Santiago heading to Puerto Natales to the Torres Del Paine National Park. We stayed there on our way to and from the park.

The doormen does not speak much English. English is not spoken much in Santiago (like Italy where English seems to be spoken in the touristy area) - I didn't realize that coming in (my bad on not researching that part) so I had no Spanish and no book to translate from English to Spanish (this would be very helpful for those that doesn't know much Spanish)!

I gave this 1 star for customer service. I didn't have much of a problem with them coming in to Santiago. They also ran out of the Santiago touristy map (which I couldn't fault them for that - but my friend was annoyed). That is not the reason I am giving them a ZERO star if I could, but the reason is their accountability.

I left my luggage there as my flight was at 11pm. They confirmed that they will be there until 7:30pm (which was perfect since I was going to be there around 7pm since I made reservation for my shuttle to pick me up at 7:30pm). I said that's great. I went back at 6:30pm and rang the doorbell. No one answered. I sat outside waiting to see if someone working there would come (i.e: maybe the cleaning ladies). No one did. I went to talked to the doorman to see if they could call the hotel for me. It wouldn't go through on my phone - but that was my problem - I didn't realize how to utilize the different area code to dial the #s correctly. The doorman wasn't really helpful since we couldn't communicate to each other.

I went back upstairs to ring the doorbell again to see if maybe, the lady that worked there had left and had to come back. No answer. I resumed to sit out there and waited for someone. 2 ladies came and they saw me sitting there and I told them no one was inside. They spoke with each other in Spanish and left. I sat some more and then decided to go back to my room to use the wifi to see if I could go on their website to find a different phone # or a contact but again, it was a bust since I couldn't get the phone # to dial correctly (my fault). So I went back to the room where Chile Apt is and rang the doorbell again and waited. During this time, the 2 Chilean ladies from earlier came back. They must know the lady - they called the hotel, spoke some and the hotel door open.

I was shock. Mad. Angry. Why didn't the lady open up the door when I ring the doorbell 3 DIFFERENT TIMES! I had resumed myself that I wasn't going to be able to fly back with my luggage (thank goodness I was carrying my passport). She was friendly greeting me and I mumbled a Hello.

One other thing - At about 1am, I heard someone trying to get in the door with their passcode and they couldn't get in. There is no customer service at that time. I'm not sure what they ended up doing but there is not an around the clock customer service if that is what you need. Go to a hotel that would offer that.

It would have been good had I not had that poor customer service. All I have to say is, don't leave your luggage there unless you expect to not get it back with you. & good luck!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Serena_Charlie
Dear guests,
About the comments of this customer and what our team reported... she just knock the door when the reception girl was in the restrooms (sometimes we have only 1 or two people in the reception, our low costs are translated to low final rates). It was a minor problem but the customer was very stressed about that. We are sorry about that.