“Live like the Chileans”

Ranked #76 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Barry
“Live like the Chileans”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is an apartment, not a hotel, which has its advantages and disadvantages. To start with the advantages: You live among other Chileans, so don’t feel so much as a tourist. There is a large supermarket directly beside the entrance, and the meat, fish and vegetable market halls are in walking distance. As the kitchen is well appointed, you can make your own fresh meals at low cost. There is a small balcony, and a covered swimming pool with a great view over the town. Apart from the cleaning ladies attending to your apartment (who are very friendly and clean the rooms nicely every day), you do not feel as being in the hotel. However, that has its downsides. There is not really a reception, if you need anything, you have to go to another apartment, where staff usually watches TV (calling 1000 from the department never gave us any answer). They are nice, but the help they give is often no more than to provide you with a phone number they find on the net – in our case, the incorrect one). The phone numbers in the welcome book provided are all out of date, the batteries in both remote controls were empty, there was no prop in the bath tub...in other words, one does not really feel cared for, if that is, what you look after. There is free Wifi, and a single old laptop to use in an office room. The location is very central, just a street away from the Metro Station (that implies, the street is quite noisy, too), and we think, it is good value for money.

Room Tip: The higher up the quieter!
1 Thank MK1Barry
Hello friends
Many thanks for choosing us for your stay. We really appreciated your comments and we can tell:
- About the reception, yes the reception office is inside an apartment like others, but you should not feel the difference since the service is the same like if it were located in another place. Our low cost model needs to keep costs really low in order to offer rates so low as you found.
- We have removed the TV in the recepction area.
- The 1000 extension number for recepction attends in dayly hours. We inform these in the welcome letter and also an emergency number for after hours.
- About the phone numbers, they all are correct, maybe you did not know how to dial from your apartment extension.
- About the batteries, maybe the previous passenger took the batteries off. Did you ask to the recepction office ? Nevertheless, we are always checking the batteries in every apartment for proper operation.
- We do not offer PCs or laptops for passengers, just the WiFi service inside the room. If you used a old laptop, that was not from Chileapart.

Have a ver nice weekend
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fortaleza, CE
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Located in a residential apartment complex of four towers. It´s four blocks away from Plaza de Armas, one from Cerro Santa Lucia, Lastarria neighborhood and Bellas Artes´s metro station and just above a nice grocery store (Lider Express), the Chileapart it´s a amazing option, with nice prices, for one people to a group of four. A fully equipped apartment, new and safe. WiFi, cable and vault are free, and are one of many quality of this place. They offer some tourist packages and transfer for a great price (in our case, the transfer to airport/hotel/airport for four people cost 90 dollars).

Room Tip: The towers C and D are newer the A and B, the rooms of tower A at the street side tend to be noisier...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rramires
Hello friends from Fortaleza,

Many thanks for your nice and precise comments !
We hope to have the opportunity to receive you in the near future. Please do not hesitate when reccomending us to friends and family.

Have a nice weekend,
Vina del Mar, Chile
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a great stay here for a weekend away in Santiago. The apartment was clean and the location was fantastic! There were just a couple of logistical problems: We had to wait quite a while (20 min+) in the lobby of the building because supposedly the Chileapart.com staff person was going to come and get us; however, in the end, we insisted on being directed up to the office to check in. Another problem was being woken up both days of our stay at 10 am by housekeeping--I would recommend that the cleaning generally happen after this time, especially on the weekend. Since going out in Chile happens very late, 10:00 is too early to try to do the cleaning! All in all, however, we had a great stay here in these apartments in Santiago, and would definitely return here!

1 Thank Rachel K
Hello friends,
Many thanks for your preference and your comments. About the time for cleaning, yes the ladies work start at 09.00. I think every hotel has similar times...

Have a very nice weeked
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a part of our RTW.

Second morning there we were woken up 10:00-12:00 with 4 very persistent phone calls from the reception first two around 10:00-10:30 telling us to open the door for personnel who wanted to check out the AC. Then again around 12:00 asking if we wanted cleaning. Problem is we had just flown in from New Zealandand the 2 days before, were severely jet-lagged and had not really slept in 3 nights and were just getting ready to sleep 9:00 in the morning.

If this was not enough we woke up later that day to find a live bed bug in our bed! We tried to capture it but it got crushed. We then searched the place thoroughly for other signs of infestation and found telm tale signs (bed bug excrement stains) of bed bugs on the lower mattress. We went to explain this to the person working the reception and got another room in a different building (tower C). We checked the whole appartment and found no signs of infestation so we accepted the room. In this room the AC was very noisy (a separate AC apparatus, not one installed in the wall).

Otherwise: area nice, ok kitchen, nice staff.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gurumir
Hello friends from Seoul,
Thanks for your preference and comments.
About the bug beds, this has been the first time one costumer reported something like this.
Our maintenance and cleaning policy includes deep fumigation every 3 months for every apartment or common area. This kills every bacteria, bug or mice. Our Quality seal certification requires this procedure to be made twice a year like minimun. We think the previous passenger could bring the bugs in his clothes or luggage. We changed the whole bed and putted a new one for the apartment and nobody has reported the problem again after that .
The new apartment was in another tower. Like the reception people told you, the quadruple apartments like yours are not comercialised with air conditioning, you had the coincidence because we are making a pilot with some A/C units. Your rate did not include A/C.

Please do not hesitate in choosing again in your next stay in Santiago... have a nice weekend.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The property is located in fairly accessible area of Santiago, although on a main through- fare that can be a hassle to access by car when traffic builds up. The neighborhood isn’t exactly Beverly Hills, but a good slice of the city in your lap.The staff is very friendly, particularly Luis, but some employees can become rigid when it comes to an early arrival time. One visit we came early and we were asked to store our luggage until 2PM. On a second visit, we were given a room although we showed up early at 10:30AM, which was really nice of them. For the price, the property offers a good value if you’re going to stay for an overnighter or a week stay. The apartments feature a convenient kitchen with all you’ll need, good WiFi, good cable television, comfortable (but not exceptional) beds and adequate bathroom facilities. However, some drawbacks include checking in downstairs, where the security can be rather uptight and sometimes rude when it comes to getting through the entry gate. Also, the cleanliness of the units is not impeccable. The towels are gray and beat-up, the place is far from spotless, the apartments have that worn-out feeling to them, there is no view, the maids look over-worked and upgrades would be an improvement. If you’re not the Queen of Sheba, you’ll like the place for it’s location and value. Good for an economic stay while passing through Santiago, but could be easily be improved by addressing some simple issues.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be the same, so you don't have to worry!
1 Thank rohbogen
Hello friends from Los Angeles,
Many thanks for your comments.
Please note we are offering a very low-rated service for a basic, simple, superb located and very clean apartment. We are not a 5-star hotel.
For reaching a low rate service, we need to keep low cost in some services (no restaurants inside the hotel, no luxury stores, no room service, no 24 hours reception, no SPAs, etc.). We make a few things but we make them good.
About the towels, we are replacing the old ones always for new ones when it is needed. Maybe you found an old one...

Hope to receive you in your next stay in Santiago
Huntington, Indiana
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Best Value and an excellent Apartment in the heart of Santiago. It has a bedroom, separate from the living room and kitchen, just a HOME. Next door is a supermarket, walking distance to the Plaza, Cathedral, elegant building. It is very clean, the staff are accommodating and fast. I want to stay there for a month next time, they have long term stay at a very affordable price. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Look for Luis Lucero.

Room Tip: Love the room we are in, with balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tes1943
Hello friends from Indiana,
Many thanks for you nice comments... !
Hope to see you in your next visit to Santiago.

Have a nice weekend
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I really like to give a good rating, good location, and some helpful staff, but overall what I got is negated big time with unprofessional billing practices that keep repeating, and a month after my stay, the problem is still not resolved. I actually hold off for a month before I write this review to give them time to sort it out, but too bad I'm still looking at weeks away before I get my money back that they overcharged, and then some.

Location is good, close to subway station and Bella Artes. Apartment is small but adequate. That's all I'm asking for, for the price I paid, but I end up getting a lot more trouble than I asked for.

One minor point, the info/map that they gave out is lacking a bit, a full tourist map (like most other places would give out) would be nice, it takes a bit of a trip to go to a tourist center to get one. No big deal but inconvenient.

Now onto the fun, you may not have as bad a luck as I am, but if similar issues keep repeating, it's more than just luck.

Problem 1:
I booked the trip via Expedia, it clearly stated no 19% tax will be charged for foreigners, and my stay was for 4 nights only, way under the 60-day requirement for tax as well. Upon booking, they charged me right away with full amount and taxes. After spending 3 hours on 5 phone calls over 3 days, with Expedia helping to call the hotel, finally they got to the manager Herman and promised to refund the tax that was not supposed to be charged, but said will take 2-3 weeks. So before the trip has even started, 3 hours was wasted and a lot of stress. Expedia told me Chileapart is directly billing so they can't do any refund on behalf, while they said the hotel is not supposed to bill me immediately, but could just be a finger pointing. I'm disappointed with Expedia as they're not the extra protection that I hoped for, but at least they helped to call and get this arranged.

Problem 2:
So we arrived, got our apartment. We asked for 2-single bed unit, but it's a queen bed, a bit awkward for 2 guys, but we're easy, the housekeeper fixed it up the next day. We're out on a long day trip to the Andes the next day, was back late and tired already but all of a sudden while getting our dinner ready, we heard noises from the bathroom. Water was flowing (yes, not dripping) from the exhaust fan, like a mini waterfall. We called the emergency number and to their credit, they have someone came by in 15-20 minutes. They have to get a security guard to go upstairs and asked them to turn off the supply. It's flooded. After another half hour, we were told that they'll give us another unit. Great, being tired and have another day trip to Valparaiso the next day, we had to start packing and move all our stuff, including all the food we got in the fridge to another unit. By the time we're all set, with a really late dinner, shower, it's already 2am before we get to bed, and were supposed to take a bus the next morning bright an early. Ended up we only get half a day for our trip. Bad luck #2 I guess, they did on our request give us a late checkout kind of as compensation, but not after quite a bid of confusion between staff and back and forth. And the new unit again has 1 queen bed instead of 2 single bed (they fixed it up the next day). Also, our original unit has A/C that we paid extra for, as it's a bit noisy on the street even at night, it's better to have A/C and have windows closed. They are willing to refund the difference on the room cost with no A/C after a bit of back and forth again. They told me it'll take 2 to 3 weeks for the refund to show up. A week after my stay, I emailed them again just to make sure they have refunded it. The manager replied and said it had been submitted the same day we left. I checked again a month after my stay (yesterday), with no explanation one of their staff copied me on an email that he just submitted the refund request thru their credit card payment company. So looks like it's going to take 8 weeks after all, not a lot of money but no one likes to keep waiting and have an open end issue. It's actually holding up my credit card that I plan to cancel with annual fee coming up, so I'm stuck.

Problem 3:
So after coming back from the trip, checking the credit card statement, and I was shocked! They actually double charged my room fee. Not only did they charge me the room with tax, they charged again for the room with no tax, charged me twice for the whole stay. Have to contact them again and they said they'll refund it. Another 3 weeks, and I've yet to get it a month after my stay. It just seem that they can charge whatever they want immediately, but refund will always takes weeks. Fine, but don't keep repeating the same mistake.

After all these frustration, once I say I got bad luck, twice I'd say I got really bad luck, but if the billing is not handled right and seemingly with no proper procedures in place, I'd say it's too much trouble for the little money saved to stay here. There's no end in sight, and because of this I would warn against staying here, it's just not worth the time, trouble and stress, your time is worth a lot more.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank stickywire
Good afternoon,

About the case of this customer, we can establish:
Problem 1 (taxes). This was a problem from Expedia that sent a rate including taxes for a foreign passenger. We solved with a refund and the customer knows it.
Problem 2. The flood from the upper room. This is a really bad luck. We change the apartment to a new one the same night.
Problem 3. There was an extra charge in the customer credit card caused for a mistake from the card operator (possibly when they processed the first refund). We presented a big complaint to Transbank (the card operator in Chile). They say they sent a letter via regular mail to us in order to give an explanation for the mistake. In every case, we are insisting with Transbank to order a refund to the customer.

Please note this customer put a very bad calification to us for only external issues. About our service, there is no big complaint. We respect every problem and we face always to give every customer a reasonable and satisfactory solution.

Have a nice weekend