“Things you should know!”

Departamentos Amoblados Flat 2170
Ranked #43 of 158 Santiago B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Things you should know!”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Travelers beware: this is not an APARTHOTEL. I travel about 75% of the time & have stayed at apartHOTELS as well as rented apts & homes from viable sites where u go in KNOWING you're renting from the owner. The owners here have some sort of system worked out to rent out studio apts. That's all fine, IF THEY LET YOU KNOW UP FRONT!

First of all, there is NO RECEPTION/FRONT DESK SERVICE...in other words, you are on your own if there is a problem. The front desk people have nothing to do with, nor know anything about, the apartments. They have no numbers to call if there is a problem. They are DOORMEN. They will ASK YOU not to call down to the front desk & disturb them if there is an issue--they will direct you to THE MAID assigned to your apartment.

I arrived after midnight & the doorman let me in and handed me an envelope with a key inside...my name handwritten on envelope. went up to my room to find a scribbled note in Spanish with the maids phone numbers on it. When I had an issue with the room, I called the front desk & was told to take it up with the maid. Front desk guys told me they have nothing to do with the rentals & will give out no numbers to "management". I tried calling the maid for HOURS. she finally appeared the next day and said, "oh, the apartment phone can't dial out to my numbers because they are cell phones." REALLY? Unbelievable. Then how are we supposed to get ahold of anyone? On to the logistics. No a/c, no fan. Also, this was a work trip for me---needed the internet---got there, and the internet was not working in my unit. Needed to finish a presentation for the following day---could I call out to the MAID to get the internet fixed at midnight that night? No. NO ONE WILL BE AVAILABLE TO deal with issues outside of the Spanish-speaking maid. (btw--the maid of my unit was incredibly kind & wanted to help!)

Another problem is the noise---it was the loudest street noise I've ever experienced. So much that I couldn't open the window for fresh air or I wouldn't be able to sleep for the noise.

If you aren't at least conversational in Spanish, you are going to have some frustrations if there is any problem whatsover with your unit or stay. Thankfully I'm fluent in Spanish, otherwise there would've been no communication at all with the non English speaking maid! All in all? Deceiving! Thankfully, the website that I used to book the apartment has excellent customer service & helped negotiate a refund with the "Mystery Owner"...I checked out the 2nd day and thankfully found a nice hotel for the rest of my trip.

PS---If you are looking for an area that is secure even for walking at night, consider Las Condes.

Room Tip: You have no choice to room. You are assigned a room, and there is nobody on site to change your roo...