“Wonderful Horseriding Journey in the Serene Andes Wilderness”
Review of Horse Riding Chile

Horse Riding Chile
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Horse Riding Chile takes individuals or groups on rides into the Andes mountains in the Cajon del Maipo near Santiago. We offer 1 day rides with lunch, longer rides camping in the mountains and also family rides. We can also take experienced riders who want to ride hard and go as far as possible into the mountains. We have excellent well-fed and cared for horses, sure-footed and easy to ride. We can take advanced, experienced riders and first time riders. Our guides have lived and worked in the Cajon del Maipo all their lives. We can arrange for pickup and drop-off in Santiago.
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I just returned from a 3-day/2-night horseriding trip (February 10-12), and it was one of the highlights of my trip to Chile. The inscrito horses are a little smaller and not as wide as the horses that we have in our area (western Canada), so even after a number of hours and consecutive days in the saddle I didn't get muscle sore as I normally would. My horse was very responsive to the reins and easy to ride, and the many ascents and descents gave no trouble.. The scenery was spectacular at every turn as we made our way further into the mountains. My guide did not speak English, so it was a total immersion experience, which I enjoyed. During our two nights of camping he did all the work (cooking, cleaning dishes, etc), so it was full service all the way and allowed me all the free time I wanted to go for walks and relax. I loved the remoteness of the area, as once we started our climb into the mountains we saw no one for three days. Those nervous about heights should be aware that the trails are often along hill sides with lots of variation in elevation. However, this is partly what made the journey so delightful and provided breathtaking unobstructed views all the way. The weather is continually dry at this time of year (so there seems to be no requirement for rain gear) and although the days can be very hot the nights cool down to a comfortable (in long sleeved shirt or light sweater) temperature. I was provided with a comfortable inflatable foam mattress and sleeping bag with a freshly cleaned linen cocoon liner (which was a very nice touch). I slept under the night sky, which provided good views of the many stars that we cannot see in the northern hemisphere, which I really enjoyed. This was a unique horseriding and camping experience in the beautiful and peaceful wilderness of the central Chilean Andes.

1  Thank Traveler2014AD
Alejandro S, Public Relations Manager at Horse Riding Chile, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for your great review. We really respected you for going on a long trip when you had not had much riding experience. Shows it can be done! and I am glad it worked out well.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"fear of heights"
"chilli"
in 49 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
"an unforgettable experience"
in 19 reviews
"mountains"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My daughter and I did an overnight camping trip and it was a truly memorable experience. It was clear that our guide, Rigo, dearly loves horses, and took good care of them. The horses were amazingly sure-footed and well-behaved. My daughter and I are experienced riders and felt confident in the horses' abilities and certain that Rigo would give us a challenging but safe ride. It was amazing to hang around the campsite from late afternoon the first day, swimming in the river, taking naps, hoping on the rocks, and just being away from technology. We slept under the stars with the sound of the river near us; we slept 10 hours and it was the most restful sleep I have ever had. The saddles were comfortable and the views were breathtaking the whole way. Being with horses and out in nature is something everyone should experience, and doing this in Chile is not to be missed.

Alejandro S, Public Relations Manager at Horse Riding Chile, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Taking children is always more of a responsibility and it can be tough for some, but your daughter captivated us all. It was a joy for our guide, Rigo, to take such experienced riders over the Andes terrain.

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

We took an evening ride with Horse Riding Chile, and enjoyed every second! We contacted Ellen late the night before and she kindly accommodated us, organising everything that we wanted to do. Our driver Tito picked us up in Santiago and took us to the picturesque parcela. We felt extremely safe in his hands, which is not always the case in South America, and he was a true gentleman, stopping on our way back to Santiago so we could photograph the spectacular sunset. At the parcela we met Harry, Ellen's husband. He was extremely friendly and talked us through exactly what the trip would entail, he even gave us the history of each of the horses and a few tips to go with it! He then introduced us to our guide, Angelo, a kind master of horses, professional in every aspect, and even with the language barrier, we received the warmest of communications. We took to the mountains, novice riders of steady, sure footed horses, amazed by our surroundings; the dry terrain and cactus abundant valleys. After a while we stopped at a beautifully secluded river, where we had our picnic, and Angelo encouraged us to swim and explore, while he took shade from the sun and prepared our melon! From there we headed back, a shorter route but very exciting, stopping at deep ravines for photos! Relaxed as ever, as the dogs weaved through the horses and explored for themselves. Angelo even got off his horse to take a photo of us! I cannot recommend the trip highly enough and feel a little sad that not enough people know about this wonderful opportunity, our day with Horse Riding Chile was the highlight of our South America trip so far.

Thank you so much! It is a huge pleasure to know that you have loved the mountains as we do, and the horses, the dogs, the guides and also our administration.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I went on a full day trip, and it was nothing short of amazing. Stopped for lunch near a small waterfall where i could swim, saw the most stunning views after. The horses are well looked after and the guide was very friendly.

I actually regretted not choosing a trip for a few days. Best day by a mile during my stay in Chile. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Anne624
Alejandro S, Public Relations Manager at Horse Riding Chile, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for a great review and I hope we can tempt you back one day for a camping overnight trip. You get higher up into the mountains on a 2 or more day trip, and have a different view of their majesty up there.