“Boutique beer tour”

and up
Small-Group Santiago Food and Market Tour Including Mercado Central
Ranked #35 of 116 Food & Drink in Santiago
More attraction details
Owner description: What better way to experience a new country than through the dishes, ingredients, markets and culinary culture at the center of the culture? At foodyChile we want you to get a better taste of Chile. We do this through walking tours of Santiago’s market district and day trips to food destinations in and around the capital. Food and travel have never been better together.
Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Boutique beer tour”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I am here on business and did the beer tour late one afternoon which was perfect to squeeze into my hectic work schedule. Colin was attentive to my emails and very flexible with tour dates which was very much appreciated. A great experience, honest, fun and good chat, I highly recommend.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Travelshell76

Perth
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Had a great day with Colin, going thought the markets and then on to use the produce cooking our lunch. Great fun, relaxed, knowledgeable. Really do highly recommend.

Visited March 2014
California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best way to explore Santiago!”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

A friend recommended FoodyChile when I was looking for a tour guide to take my group of 11 through Santiago. Our group was a very diverse one with individuals ranging in age from 7-75! Prior to meeting, Colin was very responsive to my emails and after giving him an idea of the things that interested our group, he put together a perfect itinerary for our day. We wanted a full day tour and ended up spending about 8 hours, although they can make any kind of tour happen with any kind of time requirements.

Colin and Alvaro were very welcoming and hospitable and made for excellent guides and translators when we were in the markets. Colin is a native English speaker but has lived in Chile for over 10 years and his Spanish is excellent. Alvaro's a native Spanish speaker and his English is excellent. They were a perfect pair for our group. I can't leave out Rodrigo, our driver. He was great, too, and although he didn't speak English he made us laugh and even put my children's stuffed animal tiger on the dashboard to "protect" the minibus, which my kids loved!

On our tour, we visited Cerro San Cristobal, the Presidential Palace, the central market, another market, and a craft beer festival that happened to be going on that weekend. At the central market we had lunch at a local seafood restaurant that had some of the best food during our entire visit. Colin was very flexible and any time we wanted to stop or linger somewhere that wasn't exactly on the itinerary it wasn't a problem to incorporate it or make it happen. Both our guides were extremely knowledgeable and had a passion for what they do.

FoodyChile offers two methods of payment: online via PayPal or cash (US dollars were accepted!) Because we were a large group, we were multiple groups making payments. Had this been any other tour operator I am convinced we could not have all paid separately, but Colin was gracious about splitting the bill. Some of us paid online while others paid in cash. It is my experience in other countries that this would not have been possible with other tour operators. Again, Colin's flexibility was completely appreciated.

Our guides felt more like old friends rather than complete strangers who we just met.

Should I ever have any friends visit Santiago I will absolutely recommend they contact FoodyChile to set up a tour!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank MrsGallivanter
Boston, Massachusetts
“Taste Santiago”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was a wonderful way to dive beneath the surface of the local food culture of downtown Santiago and experience delicious and authentic Chilean food (and drinks). Colin was a knowledgeable and humorous tour leader, dispensing interesting history along with a deep knowledge of Chilean cuisine. Walking through the central market you really feel the pulse of the city and I'd highly recommend this experience.

Visited December 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour of Chilean Food and Central Marketplace”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Colin gave us an enlightened tour of Chilean food and drink during a 2.5-3 hr tour of central Santiago. The tour provided us with a working knowledge of the types of food and drink that the locals eat (with sampling along the way) plus some historical and tourist information. The central market was truly an experience, and the local pubs with the unusual drinks, made for a fun and memorable afternoon. I particularly like the Terramoto! Strongly recommend.

Visited December 2013