“Seems to be closed”
Review of Museo de la Moda

Museo de la Moda
Ranked #163 of 565 things to do in Santiago
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

We were met by a guard at the gate who told us in Spanish it was closed. That doesn't agree with what their website says. Since we couldn't converse with him, we didn't get any details. We were disappointed it was closed.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

This museum is well worth a visit. It is full of memorabilia of Marilyn Munroe, with interesting aspects of her life, personality, clothing and her charisma. It portrays a view of Marilyn which is not the one we all know. It is inexpensive. Went there after visiting the Ralli Museum nearby, which is also worth a visit.

1  Thank Harold L
Reviewed 1 March 2016

I visited during the "Mad Men" exhibition. I had been hoping to make it to the exhibition in NYC, but it just wasn't going to happen. So, when I heard it was in Santiago, I HAD to go! Museo de la Moda is part house museum, part fashion museum. Created by a titan of textiles in South America, this breathtaking house in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright houses an impressive and changing collection of garments. While I was there, the collections obviously focused on the 1950s and 1960s. Particularly interesting were the outfits that were clearly taken from cover photos and spreads in Vogue from that era. It was really great to see the whole outfit in person, then how it photographed.

They also had a quite impressive collection of vintage makeup and personal care items, if that's your thing. It was for me! It's so rare to see a display of vintage lipsticks--let alone a full display of blotting papers.

There is a nice video in Spanish with English subtitles about the care and keeping of historical clothes which is a good primer on the subject. It seemed to be playing on repeat.

On the day we were there, there were few visitors, and we didn't feel rushed at all in our visit. Lots of time to deeply examine and photograph the objects that caught our fancy. We spent about an hour and a half perusing the exhibition, and then moseyed into the attached cafe for a coffee and light snack.

I bought the two fashion books available in the gift store--pricey, but beautiful. (Even better when you speak Spanish!)

The neighborhood around the museum is also pretty upscale, so we ended up wandering around after exiting the museum and had a good time with that.

Overall, an excellent way to spend an afternoon.

2  Thank Sara B
Reviewed 25 November 2015

This is a beautiful building with a lovely garden, a quiet peaceful place. The exhibit that was on when I went was the Mad Men exhibit, showing clothing, cars and rooms from the years gone by. It was free to walk through and I could take photos. I wasn't overly interested in the exhibit but nice to take time out

1  Thank Kelly-Jane M
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 November 2015

It is an amazing and captivating place. I went there on October 21st, 2015 because just for the day the DeLorean was on display again (since it was the day Marty McFly came to the future). Also, the Mad Men exhibit was on display.
The place blends fashion and architecture (it used to be the Yarur Bascuñán house) which gives you a glimpse of the 60's life, perfect setting for the Mad Men exhibition. The gardens give a serene ambiance that contrast with the day-to-day rush.

If you like fashion, Museo de la Moda is a must.