“Great customer service - Maria and Cascada saved our trip!”

Cascada Expediciones
Torres Del Paine Explorer Tour
Ranked #102 of 240 Outdoor Activities in Santiago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a local Chilean-owned adventure tour operator offering soft-adventure and nature tours throughout Chile, Argentina, and Bolivia with a particular focus on Patagonia and the Atacama Desert.
Reviewed 13 December 2017

We were originally booked for the 3-day Patagonian kayaking expedition which was unexpectedly cancelled due to extremely bad weather conditions (120km winds). Having made the flight all the way down to the area from the US, I begged Maria (who was on customer service and emergencies) if there was anything we could do to get to the park and be outdoors instead of just being refunded. Little did I know how much coordination Maria did in order to help salvage our trip! I seriously can't thank her enough- while the weather grew worse, and inhibited a lot of activities (trail closures, etc.) we were so grateful to be able to take home an experience, pictures and explore the land... and none of it would have been possibly if not for Maria coordinating new transportation, accommodations and tours at the very last minute! We are forever in her debt!

Date of experience: November 2017
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Guest Engagement Manager at Cascada Expediciones, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Hola,

Thanks for your feedback! We are proud to work with a team of passionate Travel Specialists like Maria who work everyday to provide service excellence and take care of our guests as if they were close friends. We indeed work with destinations known for their unstable weather (like Patagonia) and we know how important it is to have a close contact with every customer during their vacation. We hope to welcome you again in South America!

Best,

in 4 reviews
"tours"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Hiked the W Trail and the guides were the best. They took great care of us were extremely knowledgeable and really gave us a good time. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 30 March 2017

I did the full Torres del Paine Massif Circuit camping option followed by the hotel based Los Glaciares NP and Fitz Roy Trek extension. I am a experienced hiker used to being self sufficient and carrying my own gear, so this was a luxury trip for me not having to carry or put up the tent and cook my own food. Casada and the guides really looked after the group and provided lots of little extra's I did not expect. Welcome drinks at camp sites and helping us avoid shower queues. I had a mountain biking crash in Chile the week before and they went out of their way to help me and gave me a solo tent at no extra charge because I was restricted with one injured arm. I changed my itinerary slightly and I found them very fair with the refunds they organised.

Date of experience: February 2017
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Guest Engagement Manager at Cascada Expediciones, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2017

Hola!

Thanks for your feedback. We are pleased to know you had a great experience with Cascada in both Chile & Argentina and felt you were taken care of. We are indeed commited to offering a safe and tailor-made adventure travel experience in some of the most incredible places of South America. We hope to welcome you again! Saludos, Timothy

Reviewed 21 March 2017

Beautifully organised in a splendid decor. All staff very attentive to customers, from guides to drivers to waiters, etc. Superb food and drink at the end of the day and convivial gathering of guests in groups for next day's excursion.
Excursions in the park are amazing and guides are informative and very friendly.
Travelled alone and shared in a standard dome which was great (extremely comfortable beds). All in all a brilliant stay in Ecocamp.

Date of experience: March 2017
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Guest Engagement Manager at Cascada Expediciones, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2017

Hola,

Thanks for your feedback - we are delighted to know you had such a positive experience in the wilds of Torres del Paine National Park. Standard domes were the first geodesic domes ever built at EcoCamp and are the most beautifully simple and rustic way to stay at EcoCamp while connecting with nature. We hope to welcome you again in Patagonia!

Saludos,

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 February 2017

I'd like to explain what Cascada does, because sometimes it's difficult to figure out. They are essentially one big middleman, with what appears to be a monopoly (ownership stake?) in EcoDome Patagonia -- an amazing, AMAZING place offering trekking and eco-friendly accommodations in the middle of Chile's Torres del Paine national park.

We booked Cascada's eight-day United Patagonia tour, which is essentially a six-day tour. Day 1 is just an arrival, Day 8 is a departure (and Day 4 is a full-day bus itinerary from Chile to Argentina). The tour included hikes and food at EcoCamp, hotels in El Chalten and El Calefate, boxed lunches for all our hikes and transportation to and from the airports and bus stations. All of the logistical stuff went smoothly and the hikes were EXCELLENT and challenging.

We loved EcoCamp in particular, which explains one of the things I found a little disagreeable about Cascada. Only after we arrived did we realize how customizable Cascada's itineraries are. We were never really given an option to customize much before booking...it was more of a "give us money, good to go" sort of transaction. Had I known, I would have definitely booked a third full day at EcoCamp, which would have given us more time to relax and enjoy the accommodations there.

In Argentina, Cascada farmed out our entire itinerary to a local travel agency called Lago San Martin. This travel agency was also great -- so much so that it pointed out another of Cascada's flaws.

Our final day in Argentina, we were scheduled to do a Mini Ice trek on Petito Moreno glacier -- something I upgraded to only after finding out independently that it was possible (our original itinerary involved nothing more than a viewing trip to the glacier). Anyway, a couple of days before I emailed Cascada hoping to upgrade to the "Big Ice" trek at Petito Moreno. Nicolas from Cascada responded to say he contacted the local travel agency and they had no availability.

Bummer, right? Wrong. Since I was walking past the travel agency that day anyway, I stopped in to make sure. Plenty of availability, they told us. We'd be happy to upgrade you. What??! It wound up working out beautifully thanks to Lago San Martin, and in spite of Cascada. For the money we paid, I would have expected better service from Cascada themselves. Instead, they seemed to wash their hands of us.

Another gripe? Our hotel in El Calefate was a 45-minute walk from the main downtown street, with just one shuttle per day at 7 p.m. Would have expected something closer for the money we paid.

All of this said, Cascada did put together a beautiful trip. EcoCamp and Argentina were both wonderful. I wouldn't trade the trip for the world. But I wish Cascada was just a bit more open and accommodating about the details of their trips.

Date of experience: January 2017
9  Thank Anthony D
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Guest Engagement Manager at Cascada Expediciones, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2017

Hola,

Thanks for your feedback! We are delighted to know you had a great time on the hikes across the beautiful Patagonian landscapes with a nice stay at EcoCamp Patagonia. It is undoubtedly difficult not to fall in love with the unique location of the domes with new friends in one of the most incredible places on Earth. We are nevertheless sorry to hear you were disappointed by differents aspects of the service during your trip and I passed on your comments to my colleagues. We checked the previous conversations between you and our Customer Service during your trip and indeed advised you there was no availability at that time for the Perito Moreno Ice Trek but that availability constantly varies. For that reason we advised you to check availability once in El Calafate with our colleagues at Lago San Martin and luckily they had space for you. Cascada is always open to provide flexibility to our guests and a personalized service depending on availability (which is something less easy in Peak season). As for the location of your hotel in El Calafate, we always inform our guests about the location of their accommodation but will make sure to re-inforce this information. We hope to welcome you again in South America!

Saludos,