“Presidential Suite”

Santiago Marriott Hotel
Ranked #27 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 January 2014

At the end of a fantastic Silver Seas cruise we needed something special and The Marriott delivered it faultlessly, well nearly!
To my surprise when we arrived at check in I was asked if I would like the Presidential Suite. I had booked a suite anyway and this was a special offer upgrade which I took!
What a good decision. I can only describe it as grand luxury, huge with spectacular views across the width of the hotel. Complimentary drinks, fruit and cheese awaited.
Access to the free services and food of the Executive Lounge.
The suite itself was as large as an apartment. Big office with wifi. Massive sitting room/dining room that would seat 10 to dinner. Service kitchen, guest toilet. A luxury bedroom with a bed so big I lost my wife! s one would expect the bathroom was perfect too. Could not fault anything until the incident with the entry door, a massive double one with safety lever and lock.
My wife was alerted when the door was opened and the safety lock broke but when we checked outside no one was around! I called security who came running, then maintenance camme to mend the safety lock and finally a delegation arrived with the guilty party to apologise. The Restaurant Chef Luis Cruzat had been checking something and was unaware the suite had been booked and tried the door, he did not know the lock broke but discovering his error beat a hasty retreat. he was full of apologies as were 3 colleagues. I said all was forgiven don't worry but he did and shortly after he returned with a trolley laden with food and wine with his compliments. Such service and politeness under pressure deserves praise of the highest order. WE loved every moment of our experience and it was worth every penny and well done Marriott for exemplary service and care, and to Luis Cruzat in particular.

Room Tip: Face to the mountains.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I've enjoyed this hotel for multiple business trips and recently stayed there on personal travel. This was the first time I realized how far it is from the city centre. However, we had great directions and found the public metro more than adequate to get around town easily. One reason I like the hotel so much is the huge shopping center next to the hotel which is great and very safe for evening walks. The hotel service is superb and the staff in the concierge lounge are so helpful and friendly. Since this was a pleasure trip to offered suggestions for local places to go and how to avoid the tourist traps. I love the gym and spa facility and found this the perfect place to end our visit to the Antarctica and South America.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travellers1970
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a new modern hotel (that could be almost anywhere in the world) in the typically generic fashion of such hotels. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice place to stay, albeit with no local flavor. Reception was friendly and helpful; rooms were very nice. It's right next to a mall if that's what you're in the mood for. The only slight downside is that if you're a tourist it is 10-15 mins by taxi, or a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest subway + train time, away from "tourist downtown". We found ourselves doing a bit much shuttling back and forth and would have preferred something a bit closer to the "action" (i.e. touristy stuff like dining, walking around quaint areas of town etc). So, in summary, if we went to Santiago again we'd try something with a better location, but other than that we did like the hotel a lot.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We flew into Santiago Chile after a week on Princess Cruisetour to Peru/Cusco/Machu Picchu. We were a bit concerned when we arrived late and only half our cruisetour group had rooms ready for check in. We were in the latter half that had to wait for after a few short minutes, we pleasantly surprised to receive an upgrade to a Concierge level room. I thought they gave it to me because of my Marriott Rewards level but I was later told that was not the case as we could not earn Marriott Rewards for this stay arranged through Princess Cruises.

In any event, we got a very nice room near the top of the hotel right across from the Executive Lounge which was well stocked with various wines/sodas and a hefty selection of food/tapa like entrees which actually very tasty and filling. The room was large with a nice view of the city.

The hotel is well situated in the city and there is a large shopping complex with regular stores, food courts, and grocery stores just next door.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 9 days on business. The hotel is a standard MARRIOTT - large in size. Upon check-in I was greeted appropriately as a Gold Member and whisked to the Concierge level. In my room was a letter of thanks for being a repeat customer, a pair of slippers/bathrobe, bottled waters, alfajores (chocolate cookies) and a bottle of Chilean wine with a glass.
The concierge lounge was quite small but well-equipped with numerous beverage choices all day and an array of excellent appetizer choices during breakfast, lunch and dinner. At dinner there were amazing bite-sized desserts. Dining out was almost unnecessary as the lounge served plenty.
This is where things go downhill. I was provided a corner suite with a panoramic view of the Andes, but when I went to close the blinds at night there was a thick layer of dirt and dust all over them. I had to close them using a hand cloth. That night I called the front desk to report and even though I was informed that someone would clean them while I was at work the next day I did not get new blinds until day 8 of my stay. I sneezed all week with my dust allergies.
I rose on day 2 morning late because the electricity went off in the middle of the night and my cell phone never charged and died (no alarm). I had also requested a wake up call and no one called me. After a 12hr flight I overslept. I went into the bathroom and turned on the hot water and the faucet handle broke. I went downstairs and reported these incidences. The handle was fixed by the evening of day 2. I requested a wake up call for day 3 which I never received. My husband woke me on time as he promised as a backup. I got in the shower and heard the phone ringing (guessing it was my late wake up call from the front desk). Seven minutes later I hear a knock at the door. Two bellhops are at the door to apologize for the late wake up call.
I reported the incidents at checkout on day 9 and the front desk rep assured me that Management would contact me when I got home to discuss. Two days later I contacted Marriott Customer Service on my own (no one contacted me) and hotel Management compensated the "inconveniences" with points.
Under the circumstances they were nice but are not prompt to respond as I am accustomed. If I had to go back for work I may choose another chain.

• Stayed: October 2013
VictorParada, General Manager at Santiago Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. It is good to know that you appreciated the way you were greeted at arrival and enjoyed the services at our Executive Lounge, but I regret hearing about the shortcomings you encountered during your stay, please accept my sincere apologies.
Your feedback is much valued and has been shared with our hotel´s leadership team as it allows us to identify our opportunity areas in order to improve our services. If your travel plans bring you back to Santiago, we hope that you give us the opportunity to demonstrate Marriott's service excellence.

Kindest regards,

Victor Parada
Santiago Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Hotel is great. Nicely furnished and had new smell. Great staff and Housekeepers. Best part of our stay was the fact that the Hotel has a mall and large grocery store across street. Hotel is well located off the main HWY.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We booked one night at this property using Marriott Rewards points. Santiago was the starting point of our two week, year-end journey to Patagonia. Although we arrived around 11 a.m. after an all-night flight from Atlanta, we were able to check into our room before the official check in time without any problem. The front desk staff was professional. The room was clean and spacious with a commanding view of the surrounding area. The hotel is located in an upscale neighborhood of Santiago, near a park and also only a ten-minute walk to a shopping mall. The concierge recommended an excellent restaurant in the mall called Pearl of the Pacific (Perla de la Pacifica) for lunch. We tried it and it was very good food at a reasonable price. At the hotel, we later had a snack in the lounge on the concierge floor. The food quality and assortment were very good. This property is typical of Marriott's high standards. I would definitely return on my next trip to Santiago.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple