“Great service, but those rooms could use some sprucing up...”
Review of Park Plaza

Park Plaza
Ranked #66 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
USA
“Great service, but those rooms could use some sprucing up...”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I love the service at the Park Plaza. The staff is courteous and goes out of their way to please their guests. The room I was initially given was dark and gloomy, not to mention small. The room painted in a faded gold color coupled with the dark furniture and heavy curtain gave it what my partner screamed is "I can breath" quality. It was oppressing to say the least and reminded me of an old Spanish 1970's hostel. On my second day, I asked for another room and was pleasantly accommodated. I was given a room on the 11th floor with improved lighting and appeared to be a bit larger. Again, I cannot stress enough the politeness and courteous manners in which the staff treats their guest. I travel extensively, all this staff wins in all counts as the most professional I have encountered. I only wish the hotel invested and modernized the rooms which have seen better days unless you were allergic to lighting and fine linen. This is also unfortunate because if you are brave enough to venture outside into the highly polluted air of Santiago, you will its location to be ideal--that is if you are wearing a mask to filter the air. The hotel is nicely located in Providencia, a business center with great restaurants, shopping, a beautiful community, and close to the excellent and clean metro. Another drawback is that you have to pay for Wi-Fi, but most hotels charge for this service. The staff was kind enough to keep me well supplied with free 30 minute courtesy wi-fi slips. Ask them nicely and they will give you up to an hour of free 30 minutes slips. I must also say that the buffet that came with the reservation was also below standards. What no papayas or bananas? This is an expensive hotel for what it offers, but being treated with such professionalism made the stay bearable.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room on the top floors which do not face Lyons Street/Ave.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angorb
santiagoparkplaza, e-Commerce Manager at Park Plaza, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and opinions. Please let me tell you that we are constantly working on improving our rooms and public areas. We are pleased that you noticed our staff is completely oriented to our guests needs. We also make an effort to keep the quality service.

We hope the next time you will have an excellent stay.

Bruna Colombo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hotel is furnished in American Colonial style. We checked in at 1600 for a 2-night stay but had to wait 30 minutes as our room was not ready. Common area carpets on the room floors are a bit shabby. Bed linen was blanket between 2 sheets instead of freshly covered duvet/quilt.
You have to pay USD12 for 24 hour wi-fi in room (the only hotel in Chile that charged!), although it is available free in 30 minute blocks in the lobby area. Television in room but no English-speaking news channel. Excellent breakfast with a good selection.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank footlooseski
santiagoparkplaza, E-Commerce Manager at Park Plaza, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We really apreciate your comments and will consider them in order to improve our service. However, please let me tell you that we do have english-speaking news channels, Our Call Center or Reception staff could have helped you to find them. Also, we do charge for Internet, but we assure you we are not the only hotel in Chile that charge it.
We hope to meet your expectations if you decide to choose us in the future.

E-Commerce Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We have been travelling overseas for over 2 months and this was the first hotel where they have charged for wifi ($13 for 24 hours). A bit unprofessional in this day and age when you consider the cheapest room is $263 per night. Also no iron or ironing board in the room or bathrobes.

Not real value for money, though most of t he staff and the restaurant were good

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ely L
santiagoparkplaza, E-Commerce Manager at Park Plaza, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest,
We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay with us. We will consider your comments to improve our service and our guests satisfaction.
Hope to meet your expectations on your next stay in Santiago.
Brighton
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I stay at the Park Plaza for just one night in February 2012. It is well situated in a nice part of the city. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby. It is 200 yards from the metro line into the middle of Santiago - the metro was safe and cheap. Our room was very comfortable with a King Size bed, small bath with overbath shower. We had to check out early to catch an onward flight and coffee was available in reception.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
santiagoparkplaza, E-Commerce Manager at Park Plaza, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We feel very satisfied that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you again with us on your next visit to Santiago. We are very concerned about the improvement of our service and comments like yours keep us working hard for it.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

i was here n early march and experienced the following
the breakfast was great, the hotel staff spoke good english, the rooms were very clean , the staff were very helpful and friendly
my overall experience was very enjoyable and would go back to this hotel

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
santiagoparkplaza, E-Commerce Manager at Park Plaza, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Your comments make us feel very satisfied for all our hard work. We are happy that you had a nice and enjoyable stay and hope to receive you again in the future.
E-Commerce Manager
London
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The first time I stayed here was in December 2011. The only reason I selected this hotel initially was because I couldn’t get into a 5* hotel. All the rooms were booked.
On arrival I wasn’t impressed. The hotel is very old and in need of serious renovation to bring it into this millennium. The staff on my first visit was nothing special. Either at the front desk or in the bar/restaurant.
The rooms are clean but the need for renovation is apparent. On arrival to my room, I decided to use the gym. Its nothing like you see online and the running machine doesn’t work. Its old, tiny and has no decent equipment. This is deceitful, I would never have booked this 3* hotel if I had known.
This led me to go outside for a run, which was very nice indeed. I recommend to anyone that likes running to do the same. It’s a lovely area, just head right out of the hotel.
Breakfast is poor as is the internet. Why did I return in January you ask? Well, I liked my run around Providencia so much I decided the low quality experience offered by the Park Plaza was something I could tolerate. Stay here and have a nice run. I’d be out on business most of the time anyway.
The problems started when I checked in. First up, I booked a Club Room. Any other hotel advertising a Club Room has a Club Floor and Club Lounge, with Club benefits such as free soft drinks all day, free cocktails in the evening, free wifi, meeting room, finger food and so on. I know this very well because I stay over 100 nights a year in hotels for business, almost always on the Club Level.

I asked to be directed to the Club Floor to check in?

“We don’t have one Sir”.

Ok, so what benefits do I get with a Club Room?

“Free wifi in your room & a complimentary miniature bottle of wine every day”.

So this is a con. If you pay extra for a Club Room (£30/$50) then you get the same room and service as everyone else + wifi + a small wine. That’s not a Club Room by any description. If you pay £30 more for the room, the wifi and wine aren’t free. You paid for them.
Not only do I not drink wine, they never gave me any either. So I paid extra for wifi, which is free in the lobby. This is just robbery.
The room was the usual poor standard and bathroom also. The A/C is so noisy that even though I flew from Hong Kong, via New Zealand and hadn’t slept for 26 hours. I couldn’t sleep with it on. Too noisy.
On checkout I was offered an unofficial taxi to the airport. I know its unofficial as the two times I have taken a car from this hotel its been the same driver and car. You have to pay him before he leaves because he doesn’t want any trouble with the police at the airport. So use him at your own risk.
When I returned to the UK I was amazed they’d charged my credit card USD $312 AFTER, I say again AFTER I had left . My room was paid for by expedia and I had settled my bar bill before I left.
I called the hotel to report this and I was told someone would contact me. They didn’t. I had to use the email address from their website. I explained I was unhappy and I wanted an immediate refund.
As you will see if you read through some of the reviews on here, an employee named Bruna responds with excuses for the hotel. Before I go on, let me tell you, Bruna is useless and part of the “service” issue at this hotel.
Bruna responds it’s a block on the card that the hotel place on there when you check in. For incidentals. And I should wait for it to clear.
Its not. Anyone with hotel experience will know that the block never shows on the credit card statement.
Now its evident that Bruna didn’t investigate at all. Firstly a $312 block is to large for 2 nights in a pre paid room and had they checked they would have seen they were wrong. Bruna even went to the extent after a number of emails of finding a $100 cancelled receipt for my card and emailing it, totally ignoring the fact it $312 had been charged to my card.
I had to threaten them with the police in order for Bruna to investigate fully. Guess what? They found I had been charged AFTER I left but couldn’t explain why. Theft I expect. What other reason can there be. Especially after Bruna’s attempts to fob me off with the wait for the block to clear line.
They told me they would refund $312 and when I checked my statement they only sent $271. I contacted my credit card company who then charged them the rest of my missing money + to my happiness an administration fee.
So, the hotel is old and tired. The staff are incompetent. The room descriptions are misleading and they advertise Club Rooms they don’t have. The pool is rubbish, the gym isn’t a gym, it lacks functioning equipment or a choice of anything gym worthy, the internet is bad (keeps logging you out sometimes every 30 seconds), the breakfast is rubbish, the taxi is illegal, the staff steal from your credit card, the staff don’t refund your stolen money in full when caught stealing it and Bruna the respondent to many reviews on here made excuse after excuse and no doubt will comment on this review with more excuses.
The best thing about this hotel was my run, which was outside away from the hotel. Away from this foul experience.

Never ever again will I stay here. You are a fool if you do.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank jetboy_uk
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Park Plaza attempts to adopt traditional hotel standards whilst retaining a small hotel feel that is very pleasant. Staff are very friendly and multi-lingual,restaurant food is good and not expensive,rooms are pleasant and have nice views. Excellent location for centre of the city with a subway station across the road called Los Mondes. (Next to Costa Coffee) Tourist bus stops outside as part of the 2 hour hop on hop off trip if you take it. Bus and subway simple to use and visit to Bellavista recommended.
Would definitely return as made to feel welcome.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
santiagoparkplaza, E-Commerce Manager at Park Plaza, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very glad you have enjoyed your stay in Santiago and our services. We will keep working to improve not only the service provided but also our insfrestructure.
Hope you choose us again when your plans bring you back to Santiago.