“Santiago”

Ranked #86 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
new york
“Santiago”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was told that Chile was unsafe to travel as a single woman. I stayed at the Best Western for two nights and never felt unsafe. It's located in a residential area but 2 or 3 blocks over the river from a Metro station and an area that has plenty of shops and restaurants. The room was rather small but the bed was very comfortable. I can't say enough about how nice and helpful the staff were. Always ready with information, calling cabs, giving directions etc. Maybe I was the only American there or maybe they are very good at knowing who their guests are because one evening I was in their bar area having a snack and a phone call came in for me and they knew I was there and brought the phone to me instead of putting into the answering service. I only gave them 4 stars because the room was quite small although it was fine for me. For service (and a very nice breakfast, it beats the Best Western breakfasts in the States) it gets a 5 star plus.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank jatomo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
elmexingles
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I left my luggage in storage on the last day and on my way back home, I found that someone had stolen the ipad charger cable from my bag. The only time the bag was out of my possession was on this day after I had packed everything up. They left the bottom part of the charger as the connection is different to that of Chile and have just taken the White USB cable charger that was connected to it. After reading the review below of a stolen phone, I can now see that this was defintely NOT a one off and a lot of care has to be taken at this hotel (and obviously its sister hotel - the espanoles in santa maria best western plus - as it's the same management team)

My overall experience of the hotel was a good one up to this point. The staff were extremely friendly, the service very good, the room was nice/clean and the location was excellent given that the event I was attending was at the intercontinental hotel. However, due to what happened to my iPad charging cable, I will never be staying here again, which is a real shame.

A note to Mr. Aguilera - After seeing your response on the last review regarding a theft at this hotel and now after this incident...I believe instead of making the customer out to be a liar, that you should investigate thoroughly what exactly is going on at your hotel, as it is obvious that someone at the hotel has access to this storage room who definitely should not.

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs, request low floor as no elevator in this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank elmexingles
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I can recommend this hotel, its well located, and the price is more then reasonable, rooms are quite old style, but the neighborhood is great, you are walking distance from restaurants, shops and it is a good place to stay in Santiago.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robyferrari
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 30 January 2012

When I travel I usually like to choose smaller hotels in local neighborhoods rather than corporate brand hotels, but made a lucky choice in this one after some research. It is a smaller hotel in a fashionable neighborhood close to the Metropolitan Park, which is what we wanted and is a must see. It is also only about a 10 min walk in the opposite direction from the park to the business area and subway. We were two middle age women friends traveling together and we felt very safe walking in this beautiful neighborhood and in this area of Santiago as a whole. The hotel in a former large manor house and our room was quite comfortable and the staff were helpful in providing a map and directions for our adventures. Only a couple of the staff spoke English, so it was somewhat comical at times to communicate, but we all managed with a smile. It has a small restaurant which we enjoyed in the evenings. It is quite some distance from the well known Pio Nono area where most of the cafes and clubs are located, but just a short a ride on the subway which is very clean and modern. The hotel staff were helpful upon checking out to store our luggage on our last day while we took a private all day tour and we were able to retrieve them when it was time to go to the airport for our flight home. All in all it was a very pleasant stay and we had not complaints and we loved our travels in Chile.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lets_travel2000
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2011

At check-out, I had to leave my luggage in the hotel storage room for 3 hours, since the check out was at 12 pm, but my flight was at 6 pm. I came back after 3 hours and my cell phone which was worth $700 was not there anymore. I let the staff know about it immediately. The manager was not there that day, so they told me we would compensate the damage, but we have to talk to the manager first. I sent an email to the manager right after I arrived to the airport. I contacted her 3 times, and finally she responded to my email messages. She said she had asked the person who took my luggage to the room, and he said that he had not steal your phone!!!

Since I was not convinced, I contacted the corporate headquarters. They said they had to follow that up with the hotel manager and they would let me know in 7 days. I also talked to the manager of customer relations. They have not even contacted me. So, I called them, and they simply said that sorry for the bad experience you had in this hotel, but we have not found your phone!!!
The day that they stole my phone, the Police was in the hotel. I wanted to talk to the Police, but they could not speak English and I could not speak Spanish. Besides, if I wanted to file it, I needed to stay there for three days to go to their office and report it there.

So, basically, they can simply steal your stuff and there is nothing you can do.
During my stay in Santiago, I kept my valuable belongings in a safe box, but last day, I thought, since I was not using my phone in Santiago, it would be wise to leave it in the storage room, assuming the hotel storage room is safe and only trusted people are allowed to go in and not thieves.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Trip123987
espachile, Gerente at Los Espanoles Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear Mrs. [--] : Good afternoon , first of all let me tell you that the reason I did not respond you before was because I did”nt work the last weekend.

Also I wait the opportunity to talk with the employee involved in this stranger and unique case. Roberto Urtecho is his name , and was the only employee who entered to the room where was stored your luggage. ( we have the daily registers ) .

When you came back to the hotel to pick up your bags , the front desk man , Alejandro Ramos , came into the room to give you back to you , and that took about fifteen seconds.

He declared that he did not have any idea that you left a cell phone in your bag pack. Only you knew that.

Roberto declared the same us Alejandro .

Roberto works with us since 3 years ago and every day he stores baggage or luggage at the store room and is the first time that a guest claim us for something lost inside the room.

It was a very special situation and I want you to ask you please , if is a possibility that you lost it in other place outside the hotel , or may be if you went out and carried in your hand bag and somebody stoled you outside or anywhere you went that day.

Is very unfair to make a judgment against somebody that in all these years has been very trusted in his job.

I am very sorry for your bad experience lived in Santiago , but the BW Hotel Los Españoles can not be responsible for and object that was not declared.

Best regards

Patricio Aguilera

Manager

BW Hotel Los Españoles
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel on a trip with my daughter and we were very happy with this hotel. It is not a Ritz Carlton but I can't think of anything that would have made it better. I was a little apprehensive about where we would be staying as this was my first trip to Chile. The location is awesome. Very quiet and close to every thing. The staff could not have been any better. The room was very comfortable for us and the 2 twin beds exceeded expectations.
I felt very safe here and the neighborhood was very nice. The walk to the business district was only about ten minutes and I never felt uncomfortable. The restaurants in the area were great. The food and the service and friendliness of the staff was wonderful. The whole Chile experience was great and I will definately try to get back for another visit. If and when I do return to Chile I will definately stay at Los Espanoles. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011
London, England
Reviewed 18 April 2011

This is an interestingly rambling hotel close to a motorway interchange on the edge of La Providencia, a fashionable residential-business district. For a short stay it could be OK. But our room - a family suite, with a too-small bed in the main bedroom and a single bed in a room next door - was totally unsuitable for our needs (a four-night business-plus-pleasure stay): it didn't provide a good night's sleep, and there was an acute lack of storage space. The restaurant offers an adequate buffet breakfast but lacks ambience or variety for lunch or dinner, and the bar suffers from the chronic Chilean problem that smoking is still tolerated. Finally, navigation on foot across the river to the La Providencia restaurants is physically somewhat perilous, so a taxi is probably necessary. Overall: quaint charm, but needs refurbishment. A plus point: the service is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Check room on arrival!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business