“Best value in Santiago”

Ranked #41 of 198 Hotels in Santiago
New York City, New York
“Best value in Santiago”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed at the W Hotel and Grand Hyatt while in Santiago. The Hyatt cost half as much and was twice as nice.

Spend the extra few dollars for the Grand Club and get access to the rooftop lounge which includes free breakfast and snacks, and drinks.

All rooms have great views and everyone on the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natepaul3
MarcLorenz, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Santiago, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Guest
You made my day :-). Thank you for taking e time to write about your recent experience and I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and most importantly our customer service.
Hoping to welcome you back in the near future and please let me know if I can be of any assistance or help.
Marc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

This is more of a business hotel--it's in a business location (Las Condes) and nowhere near the tourist downtown area and the metro station is far (15 mins. walk to Escuela Militar station) so be prepared to take a taxi everywhere--which is fine if you're on business and can expense taxi fares. There's a high end mall nearby with all the chain restaurants and a big grocery called Tottus. The hotel itself is nice and clean and has all the amenities typical of a Grand Hyatt. The rooms are well kept despite signs of aging. Breakfast is adequate and typical fare. Wifi worked well in my room and everywhere in the hotel. I have no major complaints. BUT if you are a tourist and first time visitor to Santiago, I would consider other options and recommend staying in an equally expensive boutique hotel near the historic downtown area and "happening" areas like Providencia and Bellavista areas.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback, comments and taking the time to write about your recent stay in November.
We truly appreciate it and i am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel in general.
Please be aware that we are currently working on a refurbishment plan for 2014 which will include all rooms and suites of the hotel.
Hoping to welcome you back again in the near future.
Washington, United States
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room -- large and well appointed -- offered tremendous views of the city and mountains. The pool area looked spectacular, though I never had time to enjoy it. The breakfast each morning was stellar -- a 5-star attraction in itself. The ceviche I ordered from the Atrium Lobby Lounge while having drinks with coworkers was divine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay and wonderful news for us that you had a great time enjoying our services, food and infrastructure.
There is no better reward for us than reading a report such as yours as it makes all our hard work so worth while.
With many thanks and hoping to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
With best regards
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Rooms on the higher floors have great views of the mountains. Santiago can be smoggy at times, but when the day is clear the view of the snow capped Andes is amazing. The standard rooms are quite large, with a separate lounge area and desk. Loved my bed, extremely comfortable.

Only down side with the rooms is the awkward placement of the shower screen and initially confusing operation of the shower. There is a small safe and bar fridge, however there are no tea/coffee facilities - quite surprising for a five star hotel. The hairdryer was small but powerful - one of the best I have ever used at a hotel.

The meals in the hotel restaurants were all absolutely delicious and good value for money, particularly the club sandwich in the lobby bar, the eye fillet in Senso and our teppanyaki meal at Matsuri. There was plenty of variety at the breakfast buffet, but one thing this hotel needs to work on is coffee. Insipid, cold and/or varying interpretations on serving styles - beyond awful every single time. Worth getting to breakfast early as it can get very busy with lengthy queues for a table.

Customer service at the hotel was a bit hit and miss - some staff were extremely friendly and helpful (only a few spoke English) and some should not be working in customer service.

It was too cold to swim in the pool but it did look very inviting - crystal clear water and a beautiful waterfall feature. Pisco sours at dusk by the pool are a must.

The AKO spa was average, there are probably better places in Santiago for a massage. Felt a bit rushed and impersonal.

The hotel is a five minute walk from a large shopping centre which stays open until around 10pm. It has a couple of department stores, many big fashion brands and a large supermarket across the road. The shopping centre also has several good restaurants/cafes and we felt safe walking back to our hotel at night.

If catching a taxi, make sure you ask the hotel staff to get you a yellow taxi, otherwise you will be paying considerably more for your trip if the hotel uses their taxis.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thanks you so much for taking the time to write so detailed about your stay with us in October. It is much appreciated.
Your structure comments are well taken on board and are being discussed with the team to ensure we keep improving all the time.
I am very happy to read that you liked our facilities and in particular all restaurant experiences.
I am happy to share with you that we are currently working on a major refurbishment plan for the hotel which will include the bathrooms as well.
Hoping to be able to welcome y back to Grand Hyatt Santiago in the near future.
wilmington, de
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a modern hotel, not quite in the center of Santiago, but near good shopping (there is a large mall within walking distance.) It is very good for business and I enjoyed it on a combination business-vacation trip.

Good points:
Modern, restfully furnished room, comfy bed and good shower. Separate WC w bidet
On Site Restaurant and Room Service
Full Business Center
Outdoor Pool (beautiful setting!)
Sauna and Spa on site
Nice Bar
Cable Tv and Free Wifi
Laundry Service
Meeting rooms and banquet rooms

My room (except for the view, see comment below) was gorgeous. Bed? Absolutely comfortable. Room amenities and decor? This was sleek modern uncluttered. A desk that was at a level below, by the window with a beautiful sitting area on a leather couch. I used the desk. Outlets handy for charging phone and tablet--thank you, Hyatt. Railing around the step-down area to prevent tripping inadvertently--but for a mobility-challenged traveler or someone subject to falls, or with vision issues, I would not suggest this type of room--small steps inside a room can be dangerous.

The bathroom was fine, nice large shower, good towels and bathrobe (a bit small for a tall gal) and ok toiletries from the Ako Spa. Telephone in bathroom which turned out to be handy.

The hotel food: we had catering done by the hotel and it was excellent. Chilean food is good in any case (accent on fresh fish and fresh fruit and vegetables.) Our group travels a lot and most of us agreed this was some of the best catered group food we'd experienced anywhere.

The bar is attractively located, but I did not spend time in the bar--I was too busy elsewhere. Ditto the spa--available but I simply did not have time to use it. I heard it was nice.

You can walk out the back of the hotel to a shopping center, a well-known mall in Santiago.

For me, the attraction was this hotel was a wonderful respite after a long flight in, the food was healthy and there was a wide selection of things to please nearly anyone. The staff were polite and friendly. The room was beautifully modern and restful. It was quiet. I really loved being there and would love to go back.

Comment: My room had a view of a parking lot, not the Andes view you may experience. This is typical for the rooms I'm assigned when I travel, because I'm usually a single traveler. It seems hotels give single travelers the worst room; this is not the first time I've had a room that is either a bad view or substandard --here it was simple not a nice view; the room was perfect in every other way. Because of traveling with a large group, I could not ask the hotel to change it out, for a day or two it is not worth causing confusion, but it's a trend I really don't like. I pay full freight, why am I a second-class traveling citizen because I'm a widow? If it was a one-time occurrence, I could say it was chance, but every trip I've taken in the last number of years had this happen. So, it's not chance, it's a trend.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
MarcLorenz, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Santiago, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Guest
First and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to write in so much detail about your recent stay with us. I can’t tell you how much it means to us and the teams hard work aiming to exceed our guests expectations all more than worth our while.
We are very proud of our product and guest service but of course this only matters once we receive feedback such as yours.
Your comments of the view are very much taken on board and I will certainly follow this up with the team as the treatment of single travels should not be secondary in any way. We are actually trying to ensure that single travelers are given priority in service.
I sincerely hope that I will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel and please make yourself know as it would be a pleasure to meet you in person.
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed. The lobby is impressive as is the swimming pool. Views of snow peaked mountains from the bedroom unforgettable. Excellent food on the restaurants and the gym is also well equipped and served. Large and well kept rooms. Overall an excellent hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MarcLorenz, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Santiago, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest
WOW - you have really made our day. Thank you so much for your fabulous feedback and making us all very proud that the hard work that goes in is paying off.
I am very happy that you also enjoyed our facilities and really appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience during your very recent visit.
Hoping that you will be returning to Santiago soon to once again welcome you warmly. Please let me know as it would be a great pleasure to meet you in person.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Great Hotel with an amazing design, outstanding room (and rooms view to cordillera) and very good restaurants. My first choice in Santiago for several times. Just some steps far for Calle Alonso de Cordoba and Parque Arauco Mall. Very good location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with cordillera view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your great feedback and taking the time to write about us.
We are all working hard every day to deliver a great guest experience with our team and nothing can make us happier than reading that you truly enjoyed your stay from beginning to end.
With all our best regards and very much hoping to welcome you back again in the near future.