“Disgusting..had to go to another hotel after 2 days!”

La Fayette Suites Providencia
Ranked #180 of 198 Hotels in Santiago
“Disgusting..had to go to another hotel after 2 days!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Who reads my reviews knows that I rather better location than luxury itself, however, everybody needs a minimum of comfort and CLEANNESS, adjectives that this "hotel" doesn't know the meaning. My first impression was ok. Far from good, but neither absurd, very old room, musty smell, dirty carpet, tiny and stripping shower place could be accepted, however, on my second day, the cleaning service still hadn't appeared even once and before go out to walk the city early, I asked the reception I needed clean towels. That was 9AM and after a whole day walking I went back for a shower at 17:30 and - surprise - nobody had still appeared. No clean towels, bed still undone, bin overflowing. I went down to the reception and asked what was going on. They gave me towels in hands and asked me to wait that the cleaner would appear soon. I was into the shower when the cleaner knocked the door - at 18 - and said that I needed to leave the room immediately so she could clean it up. I said I needed 10 minutes to get dressed, she argued that her time for leaving was 15:00 and she was already late because there were too many rooms to clean and couldn't wait for me, so she would do my bedroom next day. Of course I said it wasn't my problem and I needed it done that day, so she sit on the floor outside my door and started singing waiting for me to leave. That was enough. I packed my stuffs and looked for another place. They refused to cancel the two next days I had already paid, but I decided to lose money than stay there one more night. Nearby there are a lot of apart hotels. I found available room just across the street at Cambiaso Suites (just along Neruda Hotel) and there I spent the last 2 nights. La Fayette is a fleabag that you only deserve if you just have nothing to care about, nor your hygiene or your comfort.

Room Tip: Don't do it to yourself!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nina_Novelli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Location is very good. One block away from the train station. Everything at walking distance. Employees are great. Very friendly! We got a room on the last floor, so the noise was not an issue. Hot water was not a problem as some people complained about. The only bad thing is the size of the bathroom, because my wife is six months pregnant!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I booked 2 nights with the hotel and prepaid. Upon arrival I was told the room was only available for 1 night. So, I planned to leave the next day and booked accommodation elsewhere. The next morning I was told the room was now available for both nights. I explained that I already booked another place because of the info I received the night before. They said ok, no problem. They then refused to give me a receipt or any documentation for my stay. I was charged for both nights. I called AmEx to try to resolve the issue and the hotel staff hung up on them twice. There is no english speaking staff at the hotel and if you are not prepared to argue in spanish, you should not go.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Santiago hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Like others have mentioned, after close to close to 20 hours travel from where I was living at the time (Perth, Western Australia). A comfortable bed was the highest priority. That's what we got, and the staff were veryhelpful too. It was a great location to explore Santiago from with the public transport system being extremely efficient too. One word of warning. If you are there around the 30th of March, be aware that there seems to be (from what locals told us) an annual student Riot in the city centre. So keep your eyes open and if you see an abundance of riot police in gas masks, head back to your hotel, pronto.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

La Fayette Suites in Providencia has very nice and helping staff. The common areas of the hotel are very small but comfortable and suitable.
Since it is an apart-hotel, my room had a small kitchen and a living room with a sofa and a table. It was a bit old and seems not to have been refurbished since the hotel was opened, probably in the seventies. The worst bit was the carpet, which was stained, and the kitchenware. The toilette was very small but it suited my needs. There seems to be a kind of a shower restriction as there are signs saying hot water only lasts for 15 minutes. However this did not affect me at all.
The website says there's a gym in the hotel. There is indeed a very small glass walled room with gym equipment, but it is very small and very unsuitable as it would make you feel like a fish in a bowl while using it.
The self-service breakfast include a small variety of cereals, milk, yoghurt, cheese, sausage and boiled eggs and juices.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LNFilipe
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed in a junior suite with a tiny balcony and kitchenette. It's not bad, and it was our first night in South America after a 14-hour flight so we weren't that fussy. However, I thought we were going to be staying in one of the nicest areas of Santiago and this isn't the case. Also, if you want to find restaurants and cafes around here, there's not much on offer.

After a month travelling through Argentina and Brazil we came back to Santiago and stayed in Bella Artes in a private room at a hostel. That was cheaper and so much better!

I'd find something else if you're looking for good value.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
The World
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

In a good location in Santiago.
The hotel itself was fine and clean.
Good value for money but nothing special.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business