“I don't know how I lucked out on this trip.”

La Fayette Suites Providencia
Ranked #181 of 200 Hotels in Santiago
Kettering, Ohio
“I don't know how I lucked out on this trip.”
Reviewed 29 December 2009

After my great stay in Buenos Aires, and a great time cruising around the horn, we came to stay here while in Santiago for a few days. It was a great choice for many reasons.

The price was low. Less than 1/5 of the price of a less convienent room at the Sheraton Convention Center.

The room, small, but clean.

The location great; near the subway, across from a plaza with outdoor dining, down the street from shopping malls and the riverfront art park.

The staff had some trouble with English, but they tried hard to satisfy.

Rooms X2 and X3 face the inside of the block, X4 the south, and x1 the main street. I was in 73. The view was OK, the mood quiet.

Breakfast was good, internet free, workout room nice.

The hot water thing is no big deal as long as you know it ahead of time and split up your showers. We did one before breakfast, one after. Plenty of hot water for a 20 minute shower and shave.

Kitchen a nice touch, saved on meals by going over one block to the grocery and buying lunch stuff for our days out. But we felt called to the outdoor dining in the area for dinners, desserts, coffees, and people watching.

We have never felt as safe in a city this large in the US or Europe as we did in walking this area. The transport from/to the airport was swift and inexpensive. A great stay and end to a great trip.

My only problem was that I am 6'3" and the clearance in the shower was 6'3 1/2". A little cramped for an American, but Chileanos are on average 6 to 8 inches shorter than I, and most people wouldn't even notice.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SenseIntoDollars

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Positive points - Location and Breakfast

Regular Points - Cleaness, Service, Room Size

Negative Point - Hot Water - You can only take a shower during 15min....after that the water become cool. After that, you have to wait more than 1 hour (yes, that's it ONE HOUR) to have hot water back..........

You can find other guests reviews with the same comments here in Tripadvisor.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Stayed there for 3 nights in May 2009. Very good and calm location on Providencia, near the subway. Friendly and helpful staff. The room itself is pretty small, but since it has also a small living room we had no problems with that. Tiny bathroom, but ok for a short-term stay. Buffet breakfast included in the rate which was nice. Walking distance from the Giratorio Restaurant (also recommend this one) and other restaurants such as Mc Donalds and Pizza Hut. Would definitely stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This hotel is realy good room.
Is clean and confortable, the bad is the best because the mattress is realy good.
It has a kitchen that you can make fast meals.
It was just me and my girl friend and we eat at the room 3 times.
The bathtube is not for bath is only to hold the shoer water, I didn´t fit in sitet my self at all.
The shoer is realy good but as the hot water is individual in the roon the boiler only last 15 minuts of hot water at time. Then you have to wait 45 minuts to go again, but this is not a problem is was time enough to both of us to take a good shoer.
The breakfast is realy good nothing fansy but bread, ham, salami, turkey ham, cereal, swets every think realy good.
For finishing a good hotel.
Recommended..

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Vinhedo, SP, Brazil
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We stayed in this hotel for the last 8 days.
The Good:
- Excellent location - easy access, walking distance to several restaurants, cafes and the subway. A sense of safety even walking late night in the neighborhood. I doubt one can get a better located hotel at that price.
- Very good and complete breakfast. A pleasant surprise at that level of hotel.
- Staff is nice and helpful, specially the day shift. I've not checked their English as we speak some Spanish.
- Free computers with internet access. While there are only two, I found one available when I needed, even the hotel being almost full.
- Free parking. Just a few parking spots for small cars, but a welcome free service considering the prices for parking in that area. (That is if you are bold enough to drive in the city. Knowing something of North & South America, I would not recommend for American/Canadian citizens to drive a car in Santiago, unless they like some strong emotions).

The Bad:
- Bathroom way too small, at least the ones in the apartments ending "1". It does have a bathtub but it is very small and slippery, be very careful !
- They advertise they offer "toilletries" but all you'll find is lousy liquid soap dispensers, both in the sink and the bathtub. You better buy/take your own stuff.
- Very noisy day and night (traffic noise). Usually hotels in busy streets are noisy during the day and quiet in the night, not in this case, at least the apartments numbered ending "1" are very noisy, both night and day. Strongly recommended to use ear plugs !

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
LaFayetteSuites, Manager at La Fayette Suites Providencia, responded to this review, 1 June 2009
Dear Sir, thanks for your quoting.Please let me know urgently what would you like to improve in the hotel to satisfy your stay also with your room. You can use the form in our website and I will respond directly. www.lafayette.cl
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I would not recommend thsi hotel to ANYONE. It is extremely noisy. The problem with the noise is that it is not just from the outside. I could understand noise from being in the center of the city, but instead you are awoken every morning to horrible elevator-type music in the lobby at a blaring audible level. When I asked the front desk to turn the music down on my floor, they told me that they couldn't because it was used to block out the noise from outside. WHAT?!b The noisey hallway music was much louder than anything outside. It's was insane.

Furthermore, the rooms sucked. The paint was peeling, drawers weren't working and most of the outlets didn't work to charge my laptop. There are notices in the bathroom that there is UP to 15 mins of warm water and then it takes an additional 60 minutes to refill the water tank to get UP to 15 mins more of hot water. So if you have a double room- you better shower and shave quickly if you want more than one shower.

The wireless internet came and went. Most times it worked but there would be 5-10 minutes at a time where it didn't work.

Breakfast was ok. The only good thing about this hotel is the location. You can find a better hotel within the same area at a better price.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
LaFayetteSuites, Manger at La Fayette Suites Providencia, responded to this review, 7 May 2009
Dear Mister, I feel very sorry that you are disappointed with our hotel. The location is on a main street and from early in the morning you can hear the usual traffic. The music on the floor can be lowered down manually as there is a visible switch on every loudspeaker to turn down the volume. Concerning the hot water, every room of our building do have an electric heater with 80 liters of hot water and do need 45 minutes to refill. We are not allowed using gas in our building.Our Wifi is working 24 hrs constantly as we use it in the whole hotel with our notebooks as well.Sometimes foreign Laptops do have problems because of their diferent configuration or our providers do have technical issues. To anticipate this problem, we have 2 contracts and pay 2 Internet providers monthly with an automatic switch to assure a 100% Internet for our guests if one of them present technical problems. ( happens a lot in Chile). However I will check it once again to assure everything.
Our hotel do have a maintenance technician from monday to friday.If you or other guest do have a problem, please contact reception desk inmediately and make a complaint . We can fix the drawer in the very moment or change your room, as we want you to be happy during your stay. Please give us the posibility to offer a solution in the very moment. Our 30m2 suites do have wifi,internet ,air conditiong, breakfast and a lot of other services for a low rate. We are known for our good service and warmness and wish to make your stay as pleasent as posible. Thanks for your reclaim about the outlets, we did not know, and we will check them right away in every rooom so that other guests will not have the same problem in a future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any problem during your stay!
Kind Regards Diana Borchard, Manager

Travellers are raving about these Santiago hotels

Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Great location and good value for money. Not the nicest of hotels, but it's average. The rooms are clean.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple