“Horrible- LOUD, smelly and hot/cold/hot/cold showers” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Mosaico Hostel

Casa Mosaico Hostel
Ranked #16 of 470 Speciality Lodging in Santiago
“Horrible- LOUD, smelly and hot/cold/hot/cold showers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

If you are a partier who stays up all night and doesn't sleep, then this place is great. It is cute- located in a great part of town in an old building with lots of character but it's the loudest place I've ever stayed- and we have been travelling all over the world for 10 months.

The wood floors allow noise to travel easily so even if you have polite people (which I don't think there were any of) you would be woken by sound. But the hostel appeared to be checking people in and out at 2:30am, people were talking loudly all night and ladies with high heeled shoes stomped around- we were in a private double room but we might as well have been in the hallway.

There are signs up which state that people should be quiet during the night but that is not enforced I can assure you.

Hot water? Not so much- I got about 90 seconds before it went stone cold. The receptionist was not surprised and explained (as I stood there naked in a towel) that all I needed to do was turn the water off, run it for 1-2 minutes and let it warm up. Great. So I guess technically, there is hot water, for 90 seconds at a time with frequent cold water breaks.

Bathroom smelled of sewage.

If you paid me to stay here again- I wouldn't.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
LagosdelSol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I was able to stay at this hostel about 2 weeks before it opened to the public in March, and Jorge made me feel right at home. A friend dropped me off after a long weekend of partying in Vina del Mar. I was wandering around Bellavista in the middle of the night when Jorge saw me, and my backpack. He invited me in, and I couldn't have been luckier!

This was a brand new hostel, complete with a bar/restaurant, pool table, new beds and sheets, large living room area, and a really cool rooftop patio. He even had to take my towel out of the plastic wrapping it was so new, still had the tags on it.

The hostel is located right on the edge of the Bellavista area, a few blocks from the wild calle Pio Nono. Making it a short walk to all of the bars and clubs nearby. None of the rooms are crammed with beds like some hostels, and as I was leaving he was installing lockers for the guests.

This is a great place to stay when visiting Santiago. I wish Jorge and his Family nothing but the best!!!

Room Tip: They are all decent sized rooms, most with bathrooms attached
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LagosdelSol
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

As a girl traveling by myself in a city where I don't speak the language, this was the absolute ideal place to stay. Stayed here at the beginning and the end of my stay, both times were fantastic, and both times I made friends that I spent a lot of time with throughout the trip. Safe, clean, convenient, great location. It's impossible not to feel welcome here - the staff is amazing and will make sure you're never short on plans, drinks, and good food. The restaurant downstairs is phenomenal and they have killer deals for guests of the hostel. About $6 for a full meal. Ate almost exclusively there on the last few days and don't regret it for a minute - cheapest and best place around.

I HIGHLY recommend this hostel!

Room Tip: The shower in Pablo Neruda tends to spray everywhere, but they do clean the bathrooms thoroughly eve...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo