“What a nice surprise”

Santiago Bike Tour with Sky Costanera Panoramic Visit
Ranked #33 of 508 things to do in Santiago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Barrio Italia is trademark concept born in a traditional neighborhood in Santiago, Chile. In this area lives nearby residents, creative industry and commerce with an innovative cuisine, design, art, culture and entertainment. You may find shops, cafes, restaurants, inns and hostels, in a neighborhood atmosphere.
Sao Paulo, Brazil
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“What a nice surprise”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Full of great design stores offering local and global stuff, it was officially named 'barrio de diseño' in 2012. The stores are located in galleries inside old buildings, so don't hesitate in entering every open door. You'll find nice cafes, bars and bookstores as well. Nice atmosphere, interesting crowd. On Saturdays, places start to open at 2pm, but cafes are closed at 4pm. Start walking at Av. Italia X Bilbao and enjoy!

1 Thank Lanader

Washington, DC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good option for dinning and walks”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Lots of cafes, restaurants and nice stores, good for shopping and walking and eating! Antique stores and design shops all around!

Visited October 2013
Canada
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Definitely worth a visit....!”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and I went for a walk in search of a more interesting shopping experience in Santiago so we decided to find Barrio Italia. It's located on Av.Italia, south of Sta. Isabel for two or three blocks. It's actually an awesome place to visit a multitude of artisan shops, have a coffee on a patio or grab a bite of lunch. The shops are wonderful (and this coming from a guy that doesn't like to shop). For those from Toronto, it's like Queen Street West, for those from NYC, it's like Soho boti both instance, much more affordable. I purchased two pairs of handmade shoes while my wife purchase a couple of handmade knitted tops, some jewelry and a pair of shoes. What was even more amazing was that we were the only tourists we saw over a 3 hour period. In preparing for this part of our trip, there was little mention of this area but I'm sure glad I read a few posts on Tripadvisor. It was a great way to experience life in Santiago and visit some wonderful shops.

I'd strongly recommend visiting Barrio Italia.....

....happy exploring

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Stinkyrules
Santiago, Chile
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting and very "European"”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I went to Barrio Italia as it was recommended to me by my friend as a great place to find high quality furniture/house decorations here in Santiago (those that have been trying to buy some furniture in shops here may probably agree that in general the price doest match the quality at all). So I went there with a friend of mine and can tell you that: was certainly not disappointed! There is many shops selling really great designs (ok, a bit pricey but fab!) one after the other. However, in between those are little cafes and great restaurants, where one can sit and contemplate. I like it, really - made me feel like I was at home (London) where you can find exactly the same arty vibe as there.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Karolex G
Lausanne, Switzerland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Unique attraction in Santiago”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I have been living in Santiago for a year and I just found out about this barrio recently. It should be on top of your list of places to visit when in Santiago. I still don't know why it isn't included in the classic city tours and recommended more by hotels. Anyway it's good so it doesn't become too crowded and we can enjoy it better.

Barrio Italia has a special vibe, a calm aura with colourful old houses. If you walk down Avenida Italia, you'll have plenty of galeries/patios where to enjoy a coffee while reading your favourite book. For the shopping lovers, you'll find there many designers shops (clothes, antiques, art), gourmet boutiques and other surprises...

Since I discovered it I keep going back as the barrio is vivid and consistently adding to its attraction. If you're looking for something authentic and different in Santiago for 1 day, go there and try the lasagna at Da Noi, then walk up avenida Italia and enjoy the vibe and all the boutiques. You can access it by metro, from Santa Isabel station (then it's a 10 min walk to avenida Italia)

If you want to know more, this website is pretty good: http://barrioitalia.tv/

See you there!