“Cheap and not nasty”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, UK
“Cheap and not nasty”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I frequently stay here when I'm in Chile on business. It's on Vitacura and reasonably well sited, though downtown Santiago (Santa Lucia, Alameda, the Mercado Central etc) are way too far to walk.

Furnishings in the rooms and out are relatively spartan, but the hotel is clean, comfortable, the staff are very friendly and the food is rather good. Breakfasts are OK: juices, cereals, cold meat and plastic cheese, nice cakes and biscuits and very good coffee (hard to find in Chile, for some reason).

There's a small swimming pool in the garden, which is most welcome, and the garden itself is charming. Nice terrace to sit in, as well.

There's damn all else where it is, though, except for the large Parc' Arauco shopping centre. There's a Tip Y Tap restaurant a few hundred yards away (OK), a rather good parillada restaurant on the same side of the road before you get to the Tip Y Tap, and a couple of sushi places I've not tried. Plus a couple of take-aways. And a good bar on the other side of the road, more or less opposite the parillada place. Otherwise, it's all car showrooms.

But as a base to explore Santiago, it's way cheaper than dopwntown and it is, definitely a nice place. Free wifi, good laundry service. I must have stayed there half a dozen times.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The pictures look better than the real deal. the pool/garden area is very charming, the people are mostly friendly. Just a bit worn around the edges. The location is very good. The price is much lower than other area hotels. I sent my mother in law and her sister there because the reviews looked pretty good. They only needed one night. If it had been longer, I may have changed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank megzap
Santa Maria, RS
Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

Very quick and friendly check in, comfortable modern rooms, everything clean. If traveling with kids in summer, the garden with swimming pool is a great alternative to simply stay at the hotel and relax. The garden can also be used as a happy hour point. Wireless in all floors, location is good, near Jumbo Supermarket and Parque Arauco Shopping Mall (both 5 to 10 Minutes walking). We stayed in a room at the third floor, with a great view to the Cordillera de Los Andes (ask for room number 303). Breakfast, Parking and wireless included in the room rates.

• Stayed February 2013
Falkland Islands
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Lovely place to stay the staff are so friendly and helpful.I was medical and all by myself but was made to feel so much at home.Lovely food,very clean hotel,would be a great place to stay while on holiday

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Josie J
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 27 April 2012

For the last 7 years we have stayed at this family run hotel in the fashionable Vitacura District. With 35 rooms its not really a boutique hotel and is really very pleasant change from chain hotels. It has a good restaurant, not fancy, with a modest selection of well-prepared food. All the rooms are off the busy avenue, so street noise is almost nil. All rooms allow you to open the windows to enjoy the chirping of the morning birds and to take in the fresh cool air, well at least spring through fall. There's a small swimming pool with lounge chairs and bar service. What has made this hotel a little treasure for us the staff. With a few exceptions it has remained the same for the 7 years we have visiting Santiago. We get big smiles and big hugs from our staff "friends".

Room Tip: As we travel with our dog, a Lab, we prefer rooms in the annex.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Castingabout
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 days and were very happy with the the location, cleanliness, and overall service. We enjoyed evening 2 meals at the hotel which were of an excellent standard. The Breakfast was okay.
We walked to the local shopping centre 15 min walk, and also to a few quite local ones but caught a train in to Central Santiago. It was at least 2 miles though to the nearest station.
The underground in Santiago is very cheap and easy to use if you want to get around.
Everyone was very friendly and helpful and we would not hesitate in returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool area, this was fine but if people are using the garden very late...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The location of this hotel is good for Vitacura. It's close to good restaurants etc and the area is quiet, safe and charming. I would not stay here though if I wanted to go into central Santiago as it is too far and there is limited public transport (bus only). You would need to get taxis.
The hotel itself is clean, modern and on the face of it a nice quality place. The pool is small and on the road but stylish, the bar is modern and nice and the rooms look great when you go in. The beds are big, the bathrooms modern and clean and it has all the ameneties you need.
However, I had a dreadful experiece at the Bidaso. It started when I arrived, tired from a long flight, to find that the lock on the doors opening onto the balcony did not work so there was no way of securing my room. The porter,who was lovely, had a look at it for me and could not fix it. I spoke to reception and they didn't seem to care. The man there just said there was nothing he could do, that the hotel was full and they could not change my room, that the area was safe anyway and it would be fine. He then said that I was in a double room anyway even though I was on my own and that I should be grateful for the rate I was getting. I explained that if I couldn't lock the window I wasn't safe, he just shrugged and said he could get me a reservation at another hotel. I could not do this as I was really tired and was being picked up early the next morning at the Bidasoa so had to be there. I managed to shut the window using the bottom catch and left it at that.
The other things that went wrong were: water pouring from the air con unit when it was switched off; not being able to have air con on at night because the light on it was so bright it lit up the room like the sun; maids being really loud. Both mornings from 6am I was woken and kept awake by the maids talking loudly and laughing outside my room. The maids' room is right by room 206 and they make no effort in the morning to be quiet. I got up both mornings to tell them to be quiet but it did not make much difference. I had a dreadful two nights sleep because of this, which was awful, especially as I had a long climb in the Andes that day. On the second morning, the maid stood outside my room rustling bin bags from 6am then chatted loudly to her friends. This is completely unacceptable.
When I left I went through these issues again with reception and asked for a discount. This was flatly refused. I also asked for an apology and the man just shrugged and ignored me. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Do not use 206 or surrounding rooms. It is right by the maid's room and they start early and are...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Claudia C, Gerente at Hotel Bidasoa, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear guest:
I am sorry you experienced the situation you describe, and understand that due to fatigue of a long flight and climb to mention the Andes as described, we imagine that he was more sensitive to experiencing the problems that indicates, which have been solved by some .

On the other hand, there was a reduction in your rate at that time, why did not apply a higher discount later.

I want to know, with all our readiness to receive another stay, and so can verify that it was only a temporary situation in his room and absolutely not the reality in the rest of the hotel.

Grateful for your understanding.

Yours atte.