“The only good thing are its location and the friendly staff -”
Review of Espana Hotel

Espana Hotel
Ranked #192 of 201 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The place is very old and badly maintained. The lift does not work most of the time, the rooms, beds, bathrooms and TV are outdated, your room's window look at the window of your neighbours. the breakfast room downstairs looks depressing and one morning We saw a rat claiming the stairs to the upstairs pub !

We had landed there as there was no more rooms in the RQ Alameda, so it was better than nothing, but never again and the price is not justified in comparison to the little amenities.

Room Tip: Avoid the place if you can !
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank caturiri
There are newer reviews for Espana Hotel

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Great location in the heart of Santiago, with a spacious and clean room and bathroom. The elevator needs a makeover and the breakfast is bad. For price and location, it's worth. There are several nearby eateries offering breakfast, including a starbucks.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Unfortunately this Hotel was used by our Overlanding Tour company Dragoman, as the start of our tour of South America. It was a real mistake of them to use this place, as we were all immediately complaining. Everything you read in the reviews is true, it is the most dismal and depressing place to stay , grubby and so run down that you wonder why its stays open ( profit I guess !). The breakfast cafe is truly disgusting . Yet it seems to be used by a number of Tour operators for reasons that must be due to profit rather than customer feedback. Sorry Dragoman - bad start , but the rest of the tour was great !

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank CCastleWestMalling
Reviewed 9 January 2013

The hotel is in a good central location and the staff and really helpful and friendly. The room was large with 4 beds for just 2 of us but a bit noisy with a generator ourside and view of a wall. The hotel itself is not very clean and a bit smelly, lift wasn't working and the breakfast only consisted of stale cheese and ham sarnies that you can toast. coffee horrible but this seems to be common throughout the country.
no pool or gym

Room Tip: we only stayed in one room so cannot comment. we stayed on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank explorer1970
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Minutes after her arrival, my wife called me and asked almost desperately to find her another hotel in Santiago !!! Nothing worked in the hotel. Elevators, wi-fi, hot water, ... Reservation having been cancelled by the hotel !!!! Worst hotel experience ever !!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank pierreelias
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Mixed feelings about this place...
I booked the hotel using a special offer discounted price from a hotel booking website. Upon arrival the hotel had not received my booking, though I had an email confirmation. When I presented my email confirmation to the receptionist he queried the validity of the booking because it was from a website he had not used, he also queried the price as it wasn't their usual price, even though I explained the offer. All very annoying, and as I'd arrived at 11pm after a flight it was hassle I didn't need... all in all it took around 45 minutes to check in.
I was eventually put in a room which looked like no-one had been in for months, it was cold, dusty, run-down. I was kept awake all night by drunk guests shouting in the corridoors. In the morning I discovered there was no hot water in the bathroom. Thankfully another member of staff agreed to move me to another room - this one was more modern, well-maintained and clean. There were towels and toiletries provided and the room was serviced.
The elevator in the hotel is dangerous and should not be used!
There was no breakfast included in my booking but there was an option to pay extra for it, I didn't try it so can't comment on the food. There is free wifi with a good strength, and the location of the hotel is good for sightseeing, just a short walk from the Plaza de Armas.
I was disappointed with my stay but if I hadn't had all the problems on the first night I would probably have recommended it, but only with the discounted price - it's definitely not worth the advertised full price.

Room Tip: It seems like half of the hotel has been refurbished - ask for one of the newer/modern rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Louise M
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Location was excellent,right around the corner from major must-see sights of interests in the center. Great variety of restaurants nearby. Hotel had just changed ownership and staff worked very hard at making our stay comfortable. Also they were helpful in arranging specific trips or making or making phone calls for us.
The physical surroundings need significant overhaul. Rooms are quite spartan,but were very clean. With no rugs in the floor there was no dust.
Because it could not have been a better location in the center of town and great attentiveness of staff to our needs, we would choose this place again in the future despite physical shortcomings.
Management was actively seeking our feedback, especially points that need improvement and it was clear that they were seeking to improve things.
Breakfast was simple but plentiful and the lunch buffet excellent at a low price! Many employees from local businesses thought so as well and came specifically for lunch.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple