“Awesome Hostel”

Ranked #93 of 198 Hotels in Santiago
Chennai (Madras), India
“Awesome Hostel”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was totally shocked when I saw our service apartment. Its located centrally and very safe. Since we took hop on-off bus, the hop on location was very near to our place of stay. We stayed in a 1BHK apartment. Very clean apartment and laundry services. There was a supermarket just next to apartment. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Andes Hostel is in a great spot of downtown Santiago. There are always activities going on in the hostel and the staff is super friendly and helpful. Andres helped us plan transportation and tours around the city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed at Andes Hostel for a week in July of this year, and I have nothing but good memories! All of the receptionists speak English and Spanish, which was helpful for me because it was my first time in a Spanish-speaking country. Our favorite receptionist Andres helped my sister and I get acquainted with the area and also taught us some chilenismos (very helpful for learning chilean spanish). It was definitely the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in, and felt very comfortable sleeping there. My favorite part was the events that they have - there's something going on almost every day of the week that makes it really easy for travelers to get together and talk, eat, party, etc. Stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
World Traveler
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed at Andes Hostel for 12 nights, 4 nights the first time, 8 nights a month later. I found it to be an OK hostel property, its staff the best thing about it.

Andes has an okay breakfast, a nice dining room, but it is the same dull breakfast everyday with poor nutritional choices, meriting a low 2 on my 10-point scale of healthy, nutritious breakfasts (adding more options, daily variety and some fresh fruit, whole grain cereals, bread and rolls, real coffee (not powder) and a non-sugary juice would improve it). Other hostels in Santiago and Chile routinely provide better breakfasts. I would rather see Andes drop the free Wed night pasta/wine dinner and free Friday night hot dogs to improve its daily breakfast. So for a day or two the breakfast works, but longer than that, forget it. The breakfast was late 10-15 minutes several mornings and one morning there was no gas to the kitchen, so no hot water for coffee/tea.

Andes has good luggage storage, great room lockers, and bathrooms. Facilities are clean and well-maintained, the dorm beds are made each day by its maid service, the location is excellent, right across from the Bellas Artes Metro Station, the staff is helpful and friendly. At Andes the blue faucet in the shower is often the hot faucet, and the red is the cold, unlike the rest of the world. I liked that Andes offered payment options in Chilean pesos, US dollars or credit card with no extra fees.

But the humongous problem at Andes is its sucky WiFi. It is just too unreliable, Andes WiFi loaded only partial pages or was slow to load pages and it often dropped the connection on all of my devices. Save your work frequently, so you just lose buckets of time and not all your work. It took multiple attempts to upload photos to Facebook or Tumblr, very frustrating, often at the end of an hour I had nothing to show for it. This is a major downside to staying at Andes if WiFi is important to you.

Andes has the potential to be a great hostel, but right now it is just OK.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank James S
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Very good hostel, the location was great. I stayed in very good dorms, with plenty of space and clean. I also stayed in an apartment with friends, and it was really good, beautiful and quite new. But the very best was the staff, which was very helpful 24h a day for everything I needed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 30 September 2013

A great little hotel with a friendly, supportive staff that is also a good value, English speaking front desk. Great rooms, beautiful bathrooms with great showers and well located as well!
Cons: wifi NOT in the rooms, breakfast ok.
But well, I think I will go back for my next Santiago trip!

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We made our two reservations with almost three months before the arriving day and when we got there, AFTER PAYING THE ENTIRE BILL with credit card, we simply knew that our rooms were occupied. The result? We had to move to another place without knowing anything or anybody at that point and the worst part, we didn't have our money back on the next day and so far, 10 days after the payment, I still haven't got the credit refund.

• Stayed August 2013