“Much better than other reviewers thought”
Review of Gatsby

Gatsby
Ranked #4,082 of 4,668 Restaurants in Santiago
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Carbondale, Illinois
“Much better than other reviewers thought”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

After reading other people's reviews on Trip Advisor, I was very wary of this restaurant, but my wife and I had 6 hours to kill between flights, could not yet check our luggage, and wanted someplace with WiFi, so we decided to give it a chance. Contrary to what others said, I found the service excellent and the food okay.

Shortly after we sat down, a waiter brought us menus. Because we got there about 4 p.m., we weren't yet ready for dinner, so we ordered some drinks. The waiter brought them very quickly and willingly provided the WiFi password. I was afraid he might either hassle us for taking up a table with just drinks, or ignore us since we hadn't ordered more, but neither happened. He left us alone until I wanted another beer, which he brought very quickly, even responding well to my attempts at speaking Spanish.

After a couple hours we decided to order dinner. My wife got a hamburger and I ordered a veggie wrap. The food came quickly and my veggie wrap, which included hearts of palm, was very good. Fries came with it and they were also good. My wife got a cheeseburger, which she said was just okay. Apparently their idea of a hamburger differs from ours, so the meat was not what she expected, but it was still edible.

The prices were relatively high, but not outrageously so for either an airport restaurant or for Santiago. Our total for two beers, a half liter of wine, a veggie wrap and a cheeseburger came to about $US 50.

Other reviewers have complained about the service, but our server was excellent and it appeared that other diners also seemed to be getting good service. There appeared to be plenty of servers and I didn't notice any diners sitting without food for long periods of time.

If I'm ever in the Santiago airport I will definitely consider visiting Gatsby again. I found it much better than the two other places I had previously visited that are after security.

• Visited March 2014

Grand Bahama Island
“Wait til you get back to the States if you want a burger!!”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was my second time to eat here at the SCL. In a word, "awful". The wait staff is non-existent. The food quality is poor at best. The buffet, with exception to the deserts, is absolutely disgusting. Your choices are limited on this side of security, if you can wait to clear security in the Intl. terminal you choices get much better. You have been warned.

• Visited March 2014
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful food and service.”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Ate at the Gatsby's at the Santiago airport a few days back, and what a terrible experience. When I first arrived, I asked a waitress for a menu to browse. She grumbled yes (I think), but never returned with it, so I found myself one sitting on a table halfway across the restaurant. Then, it took no less than 25 minutes to get someone to come over and actually take my order. Once the food arrived, the sandwich was just bad. I've had really good Churrasco's in Chile, and this just tasted so off. The fries were soft and relatively flavorless, so I guess they did me the favor by putting only a meager amount on the plate. Last, part of the reason I patronized the restaurant was to use the Wi-Fi. It took what seemed like forever to actually connect to the network, and once I did, even though the signal appeared strong, I could not connect to the Internet the entire time I was there. Not at all recommended.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lucy J
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible service and food”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Such small portions! And the sandwiches we ordered were supposed to come with potato chips and coleslaw. We got about 10 chips and NO coleslaw. Apparently they didn't have any. What? We even had to point it our to our server, and she was totally unapologetic. Totally not worth it. Plus, the lettuce on our sandwiches was turning brown. Soggy and gross!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank laurakramer
Cary, North Carolina
“Mediocre”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We ate at the Gatsby 3 times times on our trip, the fist time rather unwittingly in town and the 2nd & 3rd because it was the only fast choice at airports. It is probably what you can expect in a buffet type setting where quantity takes precedence over quality - bad service (one waiter took down our order and then never came back), overcooked dishes, salads and fruits that have been in and out of the refrigerator too many times etc...

• Visited December 2013