“Pizzas & Panna Cotta” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 416 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Santiago, Chile
“Pizzas & Panna Cotta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

We visiten It twice while visiting Valparaiso. Malandrino is one of the best Italian joints in town. Its pizzas are wonderfully done, but please, give the panna cotta a try, it's simply marvelous. You close your eyes and the dessert will do the rest.
The place is kind of small, so try to call earlier and book a table, otherwise yo will have to wait.
The owner himself is always around, the chef and waiters are very kind and helpful.
A must in Valparaiso.

Chile
“Good pizza, and a waiter with an atittude.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

My husband and I, stopped at Malandrino for lunch, yesterday. We arrived early, and there were people only on a couple of tables. We didn't have reservations (had made one through internet, but they never confirmed back), so the only waiter in the restaurant showed us a tiny table on the corner. As the restaurant was almost empty, I asked for any other regular table that we could fit more comfortably in. He said that everything else was reserved, but I couldn't see any sign on any table confirming this. I mentioned my internet reservation, and he said that they never got it, and it wouldn't have change a thing since that table was the only that I would have gotten through the reservation, since the regular tables were only for parties of four. That sounded very odd, but we were hungry and had hiked enough by Valparaíso hills, so we seated at the tiny table. Soon enough, several customers arrived and were seated respectively. I was not surprised when couples were seated at the "regular" tables. One of the couples seated next to us, even mentioned that they had no reservation, that they had just walked in, when I asked them if it was a must to have a reservation, when coming to this restaurant.
After the meal, we asked for a coffee that never arrived, but we were surely charged for it when the bill came. I can understand that a waiter might forget to bring you a coffee on a crowded lunch time, but charge you for something that you never served means that he was quick with the calculator and slow with the service.
Needless to say, is that when we left the restaurant, two of the "reserved" tables where never used.
Maybe some of this could be understood, when you try to juggle the service in a busy restaurant with just one waiter, it really seems not fair.
Definetely the attitude and the bad service doesn't add up in the quality of the restaurant.
It seems to me that Malandrino is aiming to target one time suckers and not loyal customers. I am chilean, and I could have been a potential returning customer.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leon, Nicaragua
“very good italian wood oven pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Nice atmosphere, good pizza! I'm italian and I know what a good pizza taste!

Visited May 2012
Valparaiso, Chile
“The best pizzas in Valparaiso”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

While fellow restaurant Allegretto has good big pizzas, ideal for sharing with friends, Malandrino is all about quality and freshness of the ingredients. The place is also warm and nice, and the chef has a good attention to detail. To sum up: great fresh pizzas.

Weybridge, UK
“Great Pizza and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

After a two week cruise it was great to have a great pizza and served with good wine.

• Visited February 2012