“Almost there... but beg steal or borrow some cheese!”
Review of Malandrino

Malandrino
Ranked #4 of 451 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I visited Malandrino through a process of triangulation; first I googled 'Italian pizza Valparaiso .cl', and then I read the first place reviewed on tripadvisor. Sure, there are often some pretty perfunctory reviews on here, but one that stood out was from a couple from my native Australia who dismissed the food as just OK and then complained that the pizzaiole were talking about what they would like to do to their customers' daughter in Castillian, not knowing that the reviewers understood them. So of course I had to go there - to see whether the pizzas were just OK, or whether the ribaldry had clouded the integrity of judgment of the reviewers.

Well, the pizzas are very close to excellent. Good oven, good crust. Everything is good about them (even the inevitably droopy eventide rocquette on the rucola - leafy vegetables don't last long looks-wise in urban Chile due to poor transportation and pollution, but also because the produce isn't as genetically engineered as in the proper first world - they do tend to taste better, though). Everything is good except for one thing. After doing their best with some admittedly pre-cut prosciutto (most likely actually the serrano with which the market is flooded with Spain in the doldrums), for some reason they sprinkled on silly pre-grated pseudo-mozzarella. Come on loverboys, get some nice soft cheese... wet mozzarella, or bocconcini, or fior di latte, I don't really care which. How hard can it be? It's not that hard to make a passable version, Chileans. That awful plastic stuff won't do.

All this said, it's pretty good, and I thought the staff were nice. Not sure if I'd betroth my daughter to them, but they're pizza cooks keeping their chins up on very low pay in a tourist town. And working with worse cheese than they deserve. Please, proprietors, source some better cheese. It'd probably add 300 pesos to the cost of a pizza and make a world of difference. And cooks, you never know where a touch of the hidalgo will get you with the gringos.

1  Thank Pit L

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Nice pizzas with premium ingredients done in a clay oven. The place has a nice atmosphere and they do take away if you need it. Price value is really good specially if you are in a budget as most restaurants around can be pretty expensive.

Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

We ate here last night (a Wednesday), having turned up on a Tuesday and the restaurant being closed (they are open Wednesday to Sunday). Firstly, I would advise you to book in advance as we had the options of eating outside (cold!) or eating at the bar. We chose to sit at the bar, which turned out to be great, as we were able to sit and watch the chef spinning dough and preparing pizzas, which is great fun (he also cracked a few jokes with us).

If you like beer, then you're in luck, as they have a great range of cervezas, including some local brews. All were reasonably priced (around 2,800 pesos). The homemade lemonade is to die for as well.

The choice of pizzas is very substantial, and I'm sure that they would be happy for you to build your own if none of theirs suit your taste. They also have gnocchi and pasta dishes and three salad dishes.

We opted for a caprese salad to start, which was wonderfully fresh tasting and came with delicious homemade bread. For our mains we had a Romana pizza with olives and an Espinach salad. The pizza was outstanding. The base was thin and the crust crispy, just how it should be. The tomato sauce was perfect, possibly the best I've ever tasted. Lovely mozzarella and ham, and plenty of black olives. A little sprinkling of Parmesan finished it off nicely. The salad was also excellent, a fresh combination of spinach leaves, sundried tomatoes, parma ham and Parmesan with optional balsamic, olive oil and lemon juice on the side.

To finish we had a Pisco Sour and a Green Tea which were both lovely.

We would highly recommend this restaurant for its fantastic food, great service, and friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

A small, cozy, remarkable restaurant.
The owner/manager, Patricio, made even the oven himself. Always there overlooking every detail.
If the weather is good, ask for the terrace. Intimate, shaded by a nice lemon tree and with fragrant spices that make the dinner a well rounded relaxed experience.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

We ate in the patio out the back under some of the biggest lemons i've ever seen and grape vines; monster basil bushes behind me. Good service (the savblanc was not cold) but the pizzas were outstanding --- some of the best i've ever had anywhere! Wood fired oven, thin crust, top ingredients. Very pleasant lunch after a lovely stroll around valpo. I wish they were in santiago!