“First experience in a B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Casa de Henao

and 1 more site!
La Casa de Henao
Ranked #7 of 98 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Glendale, California
“First experience in a B&B”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

La Casa De Henao is the first b&b my husband and I ever stayed in. First of all, the De Henao family was professional, welcoming, helpful, warm, and attentive. From the moment I spoke to one of the owners over the phone, I felt welcome and at ease. My husband and I took the bus from Santiago,Chile to Valparaiso; arriving at the main bus terminal in the chaotic Valparaiso. We were tire and did not know exactly how to get from Valparaiso's bus terminal to La Casa de Henao; therefore, I called the b&b and Karen(one of the owners) nicely and patiently told me how to get there. As soon as we arrive to vista hermosa street which is where the b&b is located, we noticed the wonderful views of the city. The street is safe and quite other than the barking of dogs from the streets and houses in the neighborhood. Chile in general is filled with street dogs; everywhere you go, you see dogs wondering around. I am used to that type of noise since all my neighbors back in the US have dogs.... There is just no scape to this type of noise in Chile.
As we arrived at the b&b's front door, I either pushed a bell buzzard or knock the door; I do not exactly remember.... but someone opened the door immediately and assisted us with luggage. So, so, so, so welcoming! Once in, they showed us a room with a shared bathroom; which I know and remember not seeing or reading about on bookingbuddy.com. I was kind of disappointed for that matter but we also had the choice of getting the only room in the house with its own private bathroom in case if it was available; of course. Therefore, for an additional fee per night my husband and I were able to get the room with a private bathroom; which is located in the tower(last floor) of the house with spectacular views! It was worth the extra price just for the views and the private bathroom. There are no elevators in this house; therefore, you must use the stairs to go to your room; which we did not mind since we like to exercise. The rooms are very simple; yet super clean. Although the bathroom was small, everything was working correctly without any surprises. As a matter of fact, everything in the house looked and felt clean. The charm of the house along with some of the antique furniture were very unique to us since we always wanted to stay in place like this one.
The breakfast was included in the price and although it was a simple breakfast; it tasted very good. karen(owner) prepared some type of cereal with plain yogurt which tasted so delicious! Besides this, coffee and bread were fresh. My favorite were the batidos, a mini baguette type of bread. In Mexico they called them bolillos and in Chile they called them batidos; delicious with cheese! It was truly a nice, welcoming, and warm breakfast.
Jose(owner) gave us wonderful tips on how to get around the city, restaurants, and attractions. he truly took his time and was very helpful because my husband and I ended up going all the way to Vina del Mar and Concon for the cheapest price ever! We are glad we followed Jose's advice because we got to taste one the best steaks we ever had!
The location of the b&b was very convenient since the bus stop was just a couple of feet away; by the way, the buses in Valparaiso rock! They are so fast and get you everywhere you want to go; plus so cheap less than a dollar per person. This is the best way to get around in Valparaiso and its surroundings.
We stayed in Casa De Henao from March 9, 2012 to March 11, 2012 and I must say it was a very comfortable stay and I would gladly stay there again. At the end of our stay, for an additional fee, Jose offered to take us to the cruise terminal. This was very convenient and worth it, Jose took us all the way in to the cruise terminal with no delays or surprises.
Overall, La Casa De Henao was the right place to stay for our purpose and will gladly recommend to anyone passing by Valparaiso, Chile. Most of all, thank you Karen and Jose for your humble and professional attitudes.

Room Tip: The room in the tower has private bathroom but must be willing to use stairs. This room has large w...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Linda P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We had a great stay at La Casa de Henao. The B&B is beautiful inside with interesting antiques and works from local artisans. Jose and Karen are warm and welcoming. They are anxious to make their guests feel right at home and are willing to be helpful in any way they can. They provide useful advice about the local attractions and getting around the area. The rooms are nicely appointed and the view from the tower room is magnificent! The breakfast on the patio was delightful. If felt just like being at home at Casa De Henao - maybe better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maureen C
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 January 2012

La Casa de Henao in Valparaiso is a rare find. The old mansion is beautifully restored and run by an awesome couple who have even more awesome reccomendations for your stay in Valpo. Though a little hard to find and off the beaten path, I can't imagine a better place to stay in the region. It's quaint, charming, and includes an awesome breakfast prepared by Karen herself. The only drawback is the shared bathrooms in several of the rooms. This was a semi-problematic scenario for my boyfriend and I who had trouble with our "suite mates" and remembering to unlock doors. I overall prefer to have my own bathroom when traveling and also like to have soap and shampoo included, which aren't here. With this said, the rooms are very clean, well appointed, and the area is very quiet. I would definitely recommend La Casa Henao to anyone visiting Valpo, just be aware of the potential for a shared bathroom.

Room Tip: If you aren't OK sharing a bathroom, be sure to request a room with a private bathroom, which I...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Constance F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Karen and Jose are fantastic hosts, and this beautiful B & B in a great location is perfect! Clean large rooms, and delicious healthy breakfast contribute to a long list of positives. Cannot think of any negatives at all, highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, TX
Reviewed 30 December 2011

A beautiful, spotlessly clean room with a great view, comfortable bed, great shower/lavatory. Breakfasts were very nice too. We are very experienced B&B'ers, and Casa de Henao has earned our top marks. Karen and Jose have very high standards which are reflected in the rooms, the common areas, the breakfasts, and everything else they do. The property is very well located in a safe area (police station a block away),and is a short walk to the Ascensor (elevator) from where you are just a few blocks from the historical center of Valparaiso. Karen and Jose both speak excellent English and can give advice and directions about and to all of Valparaiso's sights. We certainly hope to come back someday!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This 1907 mansion has a fascinating history, and it fits in perfectly with the Valparaiso of its heyday as "The" Pacific port prior to the Panama Canal diverting shipping. The building is well built as evidenced by how well it withstood the 2010 earthquake. Impeccably maintained and clean as a whistle, Casa de Henao is located in a quiet street. It is surrounded by period mansions. Safe, comfortable and well appointed, this is the place to stay. The queen-sized bed is very comfortable. After a superb breakfast, it is easy to get into town by bus, walking or taking the Fernicular at the nearby Naval Museum. Be sure to make a reservation well in advance by emailing through the website or calling the friendly and courteous owners who also speak fluent English.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. I liked the east facing room with the morning warm sun as I visited in early s...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank petew41133
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Karen and José made us feel very comfortable with their great hospitality, that included excellent breakfasts, changing daily with Muesli, bred rolls and self-made marmelade, fresh juices, etc. Their advices and services have been very valuable and made our stay easy. The very best was, however, the doublöe room which we've got on the very top of the house, where we could see the entire bay of Valparaiso from our bed, including the beautiful sun-rises over the Andes,

The price of 30.000 CH for the double room, incl. private bath, was well-spent.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple