“One of my favourite hostels in the world - we stayed for three weeks!”
Review of Angel Hostal

Angel Hostal
Angel Hostal
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My boyfriend and I are digital nomads so we travel very slowly. We ended up staying for 3 weeks in Angel Hostel in Valpo, because we fell in love with both the city and this hostel. Then, after staying in Santiago for a while, we came back again for a second time! It is one of my favourite hostels in the world, and I've stayed in a lot of hostels so that is saying something! Here are some of the reasons why I loved it:

- The staff are wonderful, helpful, funny and social. Rodrigo is fantastic, but really all the staff members are lovely.
- There is strange and funky artwork all over the walls.
- They make you hot cheese toasties at breakfast! They make them for you whenever you request them, so they are fresh and warm.
- The beds, blankets and sheets are big, plush and warm, like sleeping on a cloud.
- The kitchen is small, but very well equipped. They have a kettle, blender, microwave, etc. One of my pet peeves is useless hostel kitchens with no appliances, so this was a relief!
- The hostel is small and there is only one sitting area. This might be seen as a disadvantage, but I see it as a perk. It forces you to chat to everyone and make friends! This hostel is one of the friendliest and most social places I have ever stayed and I have many fond memories of drinking and chatting with great people from all over the world.

The only disadvantage is that there is only one shower which means you sometimes have to wait your turn.

Valparaiso is an awesome city and if you go there, I would absolutely recommend staying at Angel. :) It feels like home for me now and I actually miss it!

Room Tip: Room 7 is the nicest and most spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly D

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at this hostel for two nights during a one-week vacation (across three Chilean cities) and this hostel was the best, by far! The staff is super friendly and helpful, there is free wi-fi that actually works, and the breakfast is actually good! There is a kitchen that is available for use by all guests and there are two bathrooms with toilets, which is great for such a small hostel. Yes, this place is small but that's what makes it so warm and inviting. The common room is perfect because it's cozy and in a central location, so it's a great way to meet new people and get to know everyone who is staying in the hostel.

The laundry service is fast and inexpensive and both bathrooms are clean. The hostel is also in a very good location with easy access to public transportation AND the centro.

The next time I am in Valparaiso, I'm definitely staying at Angel.

Protip: If you like quiet hostels where you get plenty of sleep and don't want to meet a lot of cool people, Angel hostel isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed there two nights in a 8 bed dorm with my friend. It's a very small hostel so the backpackers are like a big family. The staff was very friendly! Gave us lot's of informations about the city, did our laundry,... Also the breakfast was good.
The bathroom should be more clean that's why i give four and not five points.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights as a solo traveler in one of the shared rooms. It was a very welcoming place with charming decor, friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms and a super comfortable bed. Was just perfect. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Maybe this hostel has a nice rooms and really comfortable beds but the worst part is the bathroom. It doesn't matter if it is only one for whole hostel but there is not even a regular cabin shower, just ugly bathtub with mold and fungus. It is unacceptable !!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dida389
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was here for 10 days or so, and had a very nice single room at the back of the hostel. It was spacious, very comfy bed and plenty of storage. My only criticism would have been not being able to hang anything.
Everything was clean and tidy, and the shared bathroom didn't cause too much of a problem in terms of waiting to use the shower.
The staff were all really friendly and helpful. I had to leave at 3am and they made a nice touch by leaving me out a breakfast of yogurt and sandwiches.
It is close to all main attractions and you don't have to negotiate through any hills or narrow streets or steps like some hostels in Valparaiso.
I would very happily stay here again for my next visit to Valparaiso. They are also renovating and adding a new dining area, so the lack of space will soon not be an issue.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A very friendly hostel, the staff took the time to talk you through what there was to do in the town. The room was nicely decorated and very comfortable, and had two helpful additions of a safe & also some very nice wine glasses in the room. Helpful for "sampling" to the local wine! My only negative comment would be that it only has one bathroom, meaning a long wait for the shower in the morning. I'd definitely recommend staying though.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple