See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Absolutely brilliant spot. There are two adjacent houses, of which I took a private room in the "hostel" side (Pierre Loti 43). Fun people—both those running the place and their guests—great location, comfortable atmosphere, lovely high ceilings, fast wifi. I worked, I played, I ate, I drank, I slept like a baby. Nice place to start off a walk around the city, a bit up a hill, so you wind couterclockwise around the tourist area from there, toward Neruda's house, taking in the art-smeared cityscape as you go... Overall good times!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We found ourselves looking for a hostel last minute, wandering around the Cerros in Valparaiso and one of the hostels that had no room directed us to this one - Residencia en El Cerro. It is a big house right off a main street, in a great location between popular common streets that let you wander anywhere easily.
It is a big, old house and our room was huge, with a closet, a tv, and a huge comfy bed.
There arent many bathrooms but the main room is beautiful and comfortable and the place is homey. The breakfast includes bread, jam, butter, and freshly scrambled eggs and brewed coffee. It´s small and quiet, but really beautiful and homely. There are working computers, wifi, internet, book exchange, maps and recommendations.
For groups - it´s quiet and not many travellers
Not too expensive either

We enjoyed our stay and definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ngaloz
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have just spend one night there and I was very pleased with the attention I received. The house has a great location at Cerro Concepción, easy to go to all the attractions and to the "elevator" that can take you up and down the hill for 300 pesos (0,6 USD approx). The rooms are decent, and the shared bathrooms kept well clean. The breakfast is simple, fits the needs of budget travelers. The only down I had there is that some other guests were out partying and they woke me at 5AM when they were coming back making a lot of noise.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Efrago
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This is a nice little hostel situated in a great location but with privacy and quiet of a pedestrian and historic street. (although room facing the back street can get a little noise - to be expected in this town). When we arrived we did point out an issue with our room, however the staff and owner were very quick to resolve. They were very helpful throughout our stay and we would certainly visit again :)

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Jchilds_77
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The hotel has a good reputation and advertises dorms. However, they are in the house of the owner's daughter next door. This is her own residence and she has rooms permanently rented out as well. the dorm room is at the back of the ground floor, a bit dark. The house has cats and there is a pervasive small of cats. The kitchen is well used by her and the tenants. If this description, and the idea of shabby chic and staying with locals floats your boat then book away.

Room Tip: She has rooms on the first floor with a view of the port/sea.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo