“Fabulous”

Hostal Cerro Alegre
Ranked #20 of 104 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Hostal Nomades in Valparaiso is the best Hostel I hit in Asia, Australia and Chile. Everything is in best form. For the case you love pictures and individually arranged rooms, please, go there. Very good breakfast, a lot of ggod(!) books and a really helpful and nice host.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 August 2012

This place would be ideal for couples who appreciate art and thoughtful places and are bit higher up the food chain than back-packers. I loved it - really arty, from memory the family business was ceramic tiles in which the home you are staying in is lovingly decorated with. Bedrooms are clean as are the bathrooms. You can cook here. There are wonderful common areas to chill out in with a book or a glass of wine. I recall nice lighting from the central atrium. Great location - very close to nice (albeit "touristy") restaurants and cafes. I found the son very helpful for information on what to do/where to go etc.

I stayed here by myself after a month of travelling, staying in hostels and even camping in Argentina/Patagonia/Chile. I found it chilled out, arty and absolutely charming compared to much of what I experienced en route here. The breakfast is lovely - particularly the fresh juices prepared. Would recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: I had the twin at top of stairs - some guys came in the small hours of morning and woke me up due to...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2012

When we arrived our booking through Hostelbookers was not on file, really bad as they took a 10% deposit, but the lovely owner organised a room for us. The room was spacious and the bathroom is nice.

The hostal is filled with amazing artwork and tiled mosaics, there is a lovely dining area and the kitchen is well equipped and clean. The breakfasts are lovingly prepared each morning with freshly squeezed juice, fruit salad and fresh breads and pastries.

It is located in the beautiful historic area on the hills with many good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Visited Valpo (I'm originally from Indiana, where there is another Valparaiso, and we call it Valpo!) for a few nights while in Chile for a week or so. We only booked one night here, so we could visit another hostel nearby. I regret we didn't stay here for two nights.

Upon our arrival we were greeted by friendly Spanish speaking staff, who despite knowing very little English, got us settled in just fine. We eventually would meet the owners, a couple, who had more fluent English skills. We settled into our en suite, which featured a double bed and two singles (though it was just two of us). Being an en suite we had our own bathroom with a shower, towels provided. We parked our rental right out front, as parking was plentiful and is free.

The hostel is artistic and funky - the co-owner, the husband of the couple, is the artist, and creates abstract funky portraits of characters that are bright and bring a smile to your face. Upstairs there are a few bedrooms, a shared bathroom, a kitchen, laundry, and a common room. Our room was upstairs. Downstairs is a small shop selling funky crafts and art from the region, the dining area (spotless and adorable), a common area and another small kitchen that the staff uses. There is also a nice courtyard with a table for dining.

Once we were ready to hit the streets, we were given a great recommendation for a place to grab lunch, the staff was spot on regarding their selection for us. The hostel was quiet, the street was rather quiet (despite a super awesome marching band that marched down the street around 6 pm, quite a cool surprise) and we had a great nights rest. The only complaint was no hot water in the early evening, when my friend wanted to clean off after a day of travel and walking around the city. In the morning we had plenty.

Breakfast was amazing - best I've had in Chile, with homemade breads and grape juice. Wifi is free and worked well.

Overally, Hostal Nomades was a real pleasure, and if I was back again in the area, i would stay here!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We spend a night in Valparaiso in Dec. 2011. We found all the positive reviews of Hostal Nomades confirmed. It's a very friendly place, very clean, with a very strong "artsy" touch. In the first floor it has a cosy lounge with comfy leather sofas and pleanty of books (mostly in Spanish, though). Breakfast is better than usual hostel standard. - We found Valparaiso somewhat run-down and certainly much less great than some guidebooks make it out to be but that's another matter.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This hostal is a very good place to stay in Valparaiso, prices are ok and the decoration is nice and the rooms are clean, which is not always the case in that city !
I was glad to go back to my cute arty room ! Valparaiso is great place to visit, you could almost spend a week without being bored...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Perfect place to stay in Valparaiso. Bohemian atmosphere, close to all things Valpo. Beautiful house, with paintings and decor made by the owner. Welcoming staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple