“I will go back to Chile just to eat at Bijoux again...”
Review of Bijoux RestoBar - CLOSED

Bijoux RestoBar
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We just arrived on a bus from Santiago to a rainy Valparaiso. We were hungry, wet, and tired. After we put our luggage away to our hostel, we started to roam around to feed the tummy.
Whether it was luck or coincidence, we walk by and saw this restaurant. The sign is not noticeable and you can easily miss it if you weren’t paying attention. I believed it was destiny. Just like all other had mentioned, Sebastian doesn’t believe in a menu. He makes the food based on what’s fresh on the market and what you want.
Our meal was delicious…. From start to finish, it was an experience. We go on and spend our days in Valparaiso, while I still secretly crave for another meal. I was surprised my friend wanted the same thing. So we decided our last meal would be there, perfect.
We were lucky enough to meet with a traveling couple (Patrick and Steffie) at dinner and asked them to join us for lunch. After our little misadventure, (seriously guys, stay in the “SAFE” area, don’t be too adventurous), we got to Bijonx, hungry and anxious. We shared a bottle of Cabernet that Sebastian recommended, and he insisted that we all get different dishes (I was going to order steak that Steffie already ordered). No doubt, of course, that everything was perfect.
It leaves me fond memories of Valparaiso and the urge to go back to Chile just to have another bite.

There are newer reviews for Bijoux RestoBar

Reviewed 20 June 2011

We have been traveling South America for 3 months and this place was the best culinary & most unique experience of the whole trip. We ended up here because Malandrino (top rated) was closed Mondays. We had our hostel make reservations for us in the morning for 20:00 as we made our way to Vina del Mar.

We walked all the way back from Vina del Mar arriving at the restaurant about a half an hour before the reservation, fully expecting early entry. The restaurant was still closed, staff waiting out front. After a couple of drinks around the corner, we made our way into the restaurant.

We were greeted by Sebastian, chef & owner, who explained that there was no menu. All the ingredients were fresh (and the reason the restaurant was still closed) as he had just come from the market in Santiago with all fresh ingredients. He asked us what we were thinking of eating, made suggestions, took notes and then explained what he was thinking of making for us and if we were willing to try it.

The restaurant was empty except for us and a sole diner, Alice, whom we asked to join us. Eventually Sebastian, his sous chef and the hostess were joining in. I even got a chance to dive into the kitchen for some photos of the fresh arrival of some stone fish.
The food was amazing and was paired well with some delicious small batch Chilean wine that Sebastian had access to. We ended up staying at the restaurant for 5+ hours drinking, talking and eating.

I'm not sure Sebastian will have the time to tell you his life story every night, but I am sure his food will be delicious and made just for you.

1  Thank JackZalium
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The concept at this restaurant is that the chef does not maintain a menu, and his meals are based on what he finds fresh in the market that day. When we came in, he came over and introduced himself, told a little about what he likes to cook and asked us what we liked. We weren't picky, but we quickly settled on seafood. He prepared two types of fish for my wife and I, and they were both very different, but equally amazing. Tell him what you like or what you're in the mood for, and then give him a chance to dazzle you. I would definitely check this place out for a dinner in Valparaiso.

1  Thank Nic M
Reviewed 16 May 2011

This restaurant was recommended by the guesthouse we stayed at and was one of the highlights of our stay in Valparaiso. The food and drinks were all excellent - I had an delicious steak with a seafood sauce. We also had some excellent mojitos. The house in which the restaurant is located has a classic charming feel typical of Valparaiso - a sort of mix of Europe with a bit of a frontier port town feel.

At first I was a little uncertain by the lack of a menu - chef Sebastian says he will invent something new every time depending on what fresh ingredients are available and what the guest wants. We left him free to experiment with ours and the results were great. This menu-less concept, along with the personal touch of Sebastian and waitress/girlfriend/bartender Consuelo, and the pleasant cozy ambiance in the house made it feel a bit like a friend who was a great chef was just having us over for dinner.

The prices were very reasonable as well.

2  Thank Kubatron
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We found this really nice restaurant with the help of two other travelers who have been there before... it is like walking in a little living room, really nice atmosphere. The chef took care of us and propose us a really nice menu made of market-fresh products! And he made something different for each of the 4 us of! The food and the wine was delicious!!!
After one week in Valparaiso we found this one : the best restaurant in town!!!

It is really easy to find, just go up with the "ascensor Conception" and then go up the Templeman street and its the 2nd street to the left: Abtao (about the 4th house)

2  Thank joydy