“Beautiful restaurant, superb food, great service, wonderful view”

Restaurant Maralegre
Ranked #17 of 468 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: MarAlegre offers a contemporary cuisine that rescues the ingredients of the area, with an emphasis on seafood. The warmth of the interior lounge and outdoor terrace are the perfect atmosphere for a buffet breakfast and a la carte lunch and dinners, with an unbeatable view of the bay of Valparaiso
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were recommended to go to this restaurant by our hotel, and boy, were we not disappointed! Montealegre serves traditional Chilean coastal cuisine prepared in a very delicate, artful way. It is located on a large open outdoor balcony, and is part of a hotel. The view is quite nice, particularly if the weather is good. The service was attentive, friendly, and prompt. For starters, my wife and I each had a Chilean ceviche, which was the best we had during our entire stay in Chile. As main course, I had the very traditional Valparaisan conger chowder, or "caldillo de congrio." This is possibly the most famous dish in Chile, because the great poet Pablo Neruda wrote an entire Ode in its praise. It is very similar to other great fish soups, such as zuppa de pesce (in Italy), bouillabaise (in France), and Greek fisherman's soup. It is simply one of the most soul-satisfying concoctions I've ever eaten, and the version I had at Montealegre was the most subtle and simply delicious of all the ones I tried in Chile. My wife had a wonderful salad of garden greens with artichokes and roasted, diced eggplant "caviar." She raved about it.
Highest possible recommendation!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We were very impressed with the service, food and setting.
We both had the fish entrees and were pleased. The wine was excellent.
The musicians playing jazz on the patio was a nice touch.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We must have been very unlucky. Our waiter 3rd.Feb.was simply hopeless and most of the food very disappointing.First of all we were not offered an amuse bouche as all other diners were,then no bread and the water I ordered never came but by that time we had given up on him. We ordered a razor clam and scallop starter in a three cheese bechamel sauce. It sounded divine but turned out to be a great disappointment,the sauce was very glutinous and an unattractive green colour and the fish cut into small pieces and tasteless......I think from a selection pack of frozen produce.My main course of Merluza was good but my wife's Sea trilogy contained two tasteless white fish as well as a small piece of Merluza. Very poor food produced by a chef whose main interest seemed to be getting customers fed and out as quickly as possible.

1  Thank hallbower
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Watch the sunset over valparaiso harbour and vina del mar while enjoying some of the finest food and wine in Valpo. Try the Patagonian lamb ( Cordero) and to drink the Pinot noir from local val bosque

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Lovely setting (when sitting outside on the terrace - the inside is nothing special). Small area, with not too many tables. The food (including amuse bouche) was good, but not exceptional, but great value, as was the wine list. Live music as we dined. Attentive service, but not overbearing. Not great for vegetarians - one salad to "choose" from.