“Local pub, authentic, very comfortable, great value”
Review of Bar Restaurant Renato - CLOSED

Bar Restaurant Renato
Cuisines: Chilean
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Renato was recommended by a taxi driver as a great "picada" ( good food, good price not too fancy). It certainly is. We had two daily specials and. Bottle of wine for less than $20.00. Watched a Santiago Wanders game while we ate. We will return.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

A friend and I ate here after taking a walking tour. Service was very good and the food and atmosphere very authentic. We liked that we were the only non-locals in the place. Don't go in with attitude. Like anywhere, folks don't like being condescended to. We had the fried fish - very good and homey. I would go back there if I visit Valparaiso.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Fortunately a friend suggested this place, what a find! My wife & I were the only tourists there and loved it. The "Menu del dia" (day's menu) is a pre-fix offering that includes soup, main dish with side-order options and dessert for about US$6. Someone's prior comment that they get-it-right 9-out-of 10 times is spot-on. My wife's' fish dish was just OK, but my pork tripe dish and our soups were delicious, followed by a fresh fruit cup for dessert.

We had just completed an arduous 4-hour walking tour and were looking forward to kick-back and relax, so with a half-bottle of wine and a 3/4 liter of beer our total bill, including tip was about US$24.

You just can't say that you have been to Valpo without having gone for lunch at Bar Renato!

1  Thank rodrigt
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Be warned up front that they do not speak any English, but they are VERY nice. The owners wait the tables and cook the food 9 times out of 10.

I order the escalopa kaiser or the calugas de pescado.

Sit at the bar and talk to the old locals who go every day for one glass of wine after work before heading home.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stumbled upon Renato one day for a quick lunch, and have been going back ever since. Inexpensive, fresh and homemade fair for at a great price. The calugas de pescado (fried boneless fish) are the best in town, and the Escalopa Kaiser is out of this world. They do a great pre-fixe lunch Menu, and fill up at night with locals chowing down on the Calugas, and the homemade sausage and meat dishes. Highly recommended for anyone looking to experience a no frill valparaiso eatery